Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if General Studies actually has a sylabus - is there a core bank of stuff you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    Just wondering if General Studies actually has a sylabus - is there a core bank of stuff you need to know?
    As far as I know there isn't. That is why you don't need to revise anything in particular for the exams.

I think you just need a good general knowledge (world events, politics etc).

There is some kind of a syllabus, but you'll probably know a lot of it already through general knowledge, and much is the ability to argue. The Letts study guide had some useful info in it, and arguments for and against the issues which crop up in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely a syllabus. My school uses the AQA one and we've got the 3 Nelson Thornes books which cover all the domains. And there's definitely stuff that you have to cover for the exam.
    Just when you thought you'd picked an easy AS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    If there's an exam, then there should be. Try the exam board web sites.

J.

ReputationRep:
    yes there is for OCR board anyway

ReputationRep:
    Yes there is a syllabus. There are even revision books available :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midget Gem)
    There's definitely a syllabus. My school uses the AQA one and we've got the 3 Nelson Thornes books which cover all the domains. And there's definitely stuff that you have to cover for the exam.
    Just when you thought you'd picked an easy AS...
    Lol, at my school we don't even get a textbook, they just pick random things to give us handouts on each week, and make us sit a *****y useless waste of time excuse of an exam that is ignored by universities anyway... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Lol, at my school we don't even get a textbook, they just pick random things to give us handouts on each week, and make us sit a *****y useless waste of time excuse of an exam that is ignored by universities anyway... :mad:
    Sounds like just about every other school - mine included. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It is a worthwhile qualification to have.

ReputationRep:
    I had like 5 lessons for general studies and they told us not to bother revising cos anything could come up. Then in the same breath we were told it was a very important AS and we should go to ALL the lessons!

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form doesnt even do lessons for general studies... and i still got an A at AS....the whole thing's just great

ReputationRep:
    We have material were supposed to cover with tutors for general studies but whats the point when anything can come up in the exam? As for general studies, i don't have no qualms about it, i think you can see people with real rational intelligence through the results rather than people who just learn it out of the textbooks, its a shame no unis look at general studies whatsoever (i'm not saying it should be accepted in offers, just to help decide between borderline candidates- they claim it is but i doubt this)

ReputationRep:
    General Studies is the biggest waste of space in the world¬!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.