This discussion is closed.
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I was just wondering what other people's views were on something that happened in my school last week because its caused very divided opinions between both students and teachers.2 guys from year 13 were off the school site during the day when a teacher walked past them and thought they looked dodgy so asked to see what was in their pockets. They both had small amounts of cannabis on them and have been excluded until further notice. To be honest I think exclusion is a very extreme punishment for such a small offence and its not like they were stoned at school or even smoking it when the teacher spoke to them, and surely what they choose to do in their own time when not in school is entirely up to them. Its not like them taking cannabis is affecting anyone else so whats the point in taking away someones education because of that? Also, I didn't think teachers were actually allowed to search you so the teacher must also be in the wrong. I realise that neither of them should have had cannabis on them while in school earlier on in the day before they were caught but i still think there are so many worse things people do and don't get excluded for e.g. bullying. Do other people agree or do i just sound like a crazed hippy?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think they should have been shot or imprisoned for life.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Well...it is against the law to possess cannabis so they are in the wrong..if they were the least bit bothered about their education then they should have thought about that before they had that stuff on them.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by devilschild)
I was just wondering what other people's views were on something that happened in my school last week because its caused very divided opinions between both students and teachers.2 guys from year 13 were off the school site during the day when a teacher walked past them and thought they looked dodgy so asked to see what was in their pockets. They both had small amounts of cannabis on them and have been excluded until further notice. To be honest I think exclusion is a very extreme punishment for such a small offence and its not like they were stoned at school or even smoking it when the teacher spoke to them, and surely what they choose to do in their own time when not in school is entirely up to them. Its not like them taking cannabis is affecting anyone else so whats the point in taking away someones education because of that? Also, I didn't think teachers were actually allowed to search you so the teacher must also be in the wrong. I realise that neither of them should have had cannabis on them while in school earlier on in the day before they were caught but i still think there are so many worse things people do and don't get excluded for e.g. bullying. Do other people agree or do i just sound like a crazed hippy?
I completely agree with you. In any case, if it was off the school grounds the teacher had no right to ask what was in their pockets. They could have just refused to show the teacher. Also how can they expell you for something that is nothing to do with you being in school (not on school grounds, no evidence they hve ever smoked or carried it in school).

I remember when I was at sixth form, one of my mates got called in for smoking hash in school, but he just got told not to do it anymore. I think it depends on how well the teacher is educated when it comes to drugs.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think that devilschild and NikNak are both on cannabis. You wouldn't be so defensive otherwise.

Cannabis is not only illigal but very dangerous and unneccesary. It's a direct link to other, more harder drugs. Cannabis can destroy lives and families and it really isn't needed in the world.

If they had been caught with cannabis in another country, they could have been jailed for up to 10 years. And what if they had been caught smoking nicoten or some other sh** like that?

The school was right to exclude them. They should have been given a criminal record as well. Society should fight drugs not soften up to them.
Egan1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If you're distributing/'dealing' then you'd probably be expelled. If you're in possession then that's a suspension I think.

It happened once I think at my school some years ago and their policy stood as the above.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I think that devilschild and NikNak are both on cannabis. You wouldn't be so defensive otherwise.

Cannabis is not only illigal but very dangerous and unneccesary. It's a direct link to other, more harder drugs. Cannabis can destroy lives and families and it really isn't needed in the world.

If they had been caught with cannabis in another country, they could have been jailed for up to 10 years. And what if they had been caught smoking nicoten or some other sh** like that?

The school was right to exclude them. They should have been given a criminal record as well. Society should fight drugs not soften up to them.
This post demonstrates how little the majority of people actually know about cannabis. Im not going to argue with you about this issue because those types of arguments can go on and on. All I will say is learn the facts about cannabis before you go round saying everyone who uses it should be put in jail.

If they had been caught with cannabis in another country, they could have been jailed for up to 10 years.
You can use this arguement for just about anything including smoking cigerettes or even for things like swearing. Different countries have different laws, cultures and values.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
I completely agree with you. In any case, if it was off the school grounds the teacher had no right to ask what was in their pockets. They could have just refused to show the teacher. Also how can they expell you for something that is nothing to do with you being in school (not on school grounds, no evidence they hve ever smoked or carried it in school).

I remember when I was at sixth form, one of my mates got called in for smoking hash in school, but he just got told not to do it anymore. I think it depends on how well the teacher is educated when it comes to drugs.
Also depends on school's written anti-drugs policy which any student/parent can ask to see.
The policy should give details on discipline procedure for any transgressions of rules.
It could be said that whilst pupils are in school uniform they are representing the school and whether on or off site is irrelevant, particularly if they had a free period and this is why they were not in class. It obviously happened during the school day and that is the crux.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
the point is though, that while it may be illiegal, it is not a school matter. In truth i don't think i teacher has the right to stop someone outside of school and search them. I know my old school had zero tolerance policy on drugs within school but there wasn't much they could do outside of school

edit: i only just noticed that you said they had drugs on them when they were in school ealier in the day. If this is so then yes the school probably had the right to expell them. also depends if they were off school ground cos they were skiving lessons. If they had it on them in school then to be honest i have no sympathy especially if they knew the schools drug policy (which was probably zero tolerance)
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
the point is though, that while it may be illiegal, it is not a school matter. In truth i don't think i teacher has the right to stop someone outside of school and search them. I know my old school had zero tolerance policy on drugs within school but there wasn't much they could do outside of school
Agreed, a teacher's authority should not extend beyond the classroom.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
I disagree.

It should at least reach the end of the corridor.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I disagree.

It should at least reach the end of the corridor.
LoL, not sure about that....
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
But it does! If it didn't we would have anarchy in the playground, corridors and in the community within school hours. Possession is still illegal and is worse still if you are in possession during school hours. Why did they have it on them? They must have been intending to smoke it? When drug use encroaches on school time then punishment is inevitable.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered11)
But it does! If it didn't we would have anarchy in the playground, corridors and in the community within school hours. Possession is still illegal and is worse still if you are in possession during school hours. Why did they have it on them? They must have been intending to smoke it? When drug use encroaches on school time then punishment is inevitable.
I was speaking metaphorically, in that outside of the vicinity of a school then a teacher should have no influence at all. Although during school time there may be an argument for the teacher having some influence, if this thing had happened at the weekend for instance, I don't believe a teacher should have had any influence, as it is not a matter taknig place within the school....
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
If it didn't we would have anarchy in the playground, corridors and in the community within school hours.
lol and the nerds would cower all day in the classrooms.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I was speaking metaphorically, in that outside of the vicinity of a school then a teacher should have no influence at all. Although during school time there may be an argument for the teacher having some influence, if this thing had happened at the weekend for instance, I don't believe a teacher should have had any influence, as it is not a matter taknig place within the school....
It becomes a school matter if the school are in 'loco-parentis' i.e. acting in the place of the parent. Whether this is during school time (including free periods) and for the short period before and after the school day that teachers are in loco parentis, during school field trips, organised school holidays (e.g. trips for ski-ing and the like) and expeditions or fund-raising activities that have to take place at week-ends. So you see, school authority is not limited in the way you perhaps imagine.
As I said before, all students should know the rules and sanctions that can be applied when the rules are broken.
Those students who were excluded have the right of appeal to an independent appeal body if the exclusion become permanent. However, schools rarely make mistakes when they exclude so appeals are not usually successful. Just be warned before you think of doing something against the rules!!!
devilschild
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
They were outside of school because it was a free lesson so they didnt have to be in school but had been in school earlier in the day, and as neither of them live in the town it was presumed that they had had it on them while in school. yes obviously they intended to smoke it at some point but not during school time which is why i don't really think it is a matter for the school to sort out and we don't wear school uniform. it seems that all the sixth form teachers are on their side and are going to stick up 4 them when it is decided whether the exclusion should be permanent or not. But to show the schools inconsistency- on a biology fieldtrip just before the summer holidays there were a group of about 10 of us who spent the majority of the time sitting out in a large tent getting drunk and stoned and the teachers just laughed at us- possibly because they couldnt be bothered to punish such a large group of people and most likely because the group included all of the "straight A model students" in our year, and also because there was a mutual agreement that none of us would ever mention it when we got back to school.I am surprised at the ignorance of some of the people in here- cannabis is not addictive, it has never directly killed anyone and very few people actually go on to take harder drugs afterwards.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
They were outside of school because it was a free lesson so they didnt have to be in school but had been in school earlier in the day, and as neither of them live in the town it was presumed that they had had it on them while in school. yes obviously they intended to smoke it at some point but not during school time which is why i don't really think it is a matter for the school to sort out and we don't wear school uniform. it seems that all the sixth form teachers are on their side and are going to stick up 4 them when it is decided whether the exclusion should be permanent or not. But to show the schools inconsistency- on a biology fieldtrip just before the summer holidays there were a group of about 10 of us who spent the majority of the time sitting out in a large tent getting drunk and stoned and the teachers just laughed at us- possibly because they couldnt be bothered to punish such a large group of people and most likely because the group included all of the "straight A model students" in our year, and also because there was a mutual agreement that none of us would ever mention it when we got back to school.I am surprised at the ignorance of some of the people in here- cannabis is not addictive, it has never directly killed anyone and very few people actually go on to take harder drugs afterwards.
Reminds me of my Biology Fieldtrip.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You have illustrated just how ineffectual your teachers are in dealing with a potentailly very serious incident. I would be extremely dismayed to have teachers that would respond in the manner that yours did on your biology field trip and would have no respect for them after that. Perhaps that is why your 2 miscreants acted with impunity by having cannabis in their possession.

We have an effective anti-drugs policy in my school backed up with a strong anti-drugs education and most of us (the intelligent ones that is) agreed after the talks etc. that we would not touch illegral drugs with a barge pole. I do not speak from 'an ignorant' stance so stop being judgemental.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You have illustrated just how ineffectual your teachers are in dealing with a potentailly very serious incident. I would be extremely dismayed to have teachers that would respond in the manner that yours did on your biology field trip and would have no respect for them after that. Perhaps that is why your 2 miscreants acted with impunity by having cannabis in their possession.

We have an effective anti-drugs policy in my school backed up with a strong anti-drugs education and most of us (the intelligent ones that is) agreed after the talks etc. that we would not touch illegral drugs with a barge pole. I do not speak from 'an ignorant' stance so stop being judgemental.
Congratulations.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (585)
49.91%
No (587)
50.09%

Watched Threads