Turn on thread page Beta

Help! watch

Announcements

Hello everyone!

I am looking for (GCE) AS English Language course materials/text books. Can anyone help?

Any help/suggestion will be greatly apprecited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Hello everyone!

I am looking for (GCE) AS English Language course materials/text books. Can anyone help?

Well WH Smiths has a section of learning aides/resources that teachers can use...so you should look there. It sells lots of text books, like p, m and s 1-6

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Best place to ask is the english department in your school.

(Original post by NikNak)
    Best place to ask is the english department in your school.
    Unfortunately, they are not much of an help!And that's one of the reasons I am seeking help on the learning forums Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't advise you to buy textbooks. This comes from personal experience. English Literature is, I have found, one of those subjects you do well in through personal insight. Instead focus on reading the texts, analysing them thoroughly chapter by chapter or scene by scene and when you've finished with your general overview and you've formed strong opinions, read critics' opinions and support your view by using them. For critics' opinions you should try the Cambridge Companions books - those are very good but I don't know if they would apply to the ones you're doing. What texts are you studying by the way?

P.S - If you really do need textbooks, then I suggest the (Advanced) Yorknotes, which is something people have raved about but to me they lack the necessary depth for AS/A2 English Lit. It's all about thinking for yourself at the end of the day I guess.

(Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    I wouldn't advise you to buy textbooks. This comes from personal experience. English Literature is, I have found, one of those subjects you do well in through personal insight. Instead focus on reading the texts, analysing them thoroughly chapter by chapter or scene by scene and when you've finished with your general overview and you've formed strong opinions, read critics' opinions and support your view by using them. For critics' opinions you should try the Cambridge Companions books - those are very good but I don't know if they would apply to the ones you're doing. What texts are you studying by the way?

P.S - If you really do need textbooks, then I suggest the (Advanced) Yorknotes, which is something people have raved about but to me they lack the necessary depth for AS/A2 English Lit. It's all about thinking for yourself at the end of the day I guess.
    Thanks for your advice, Neurotic. However, I am doing 'AS English Language' (Edexcel GCE). I am not using any text books at the moment because I have been advised not to buy any and do it on my own, but, I guess there are many aspects which one cannot comprehand fully, without aids/resources.

For example: 1. The usage of appropriate Terminologies
    2. Comparing and contrasting distinctive language features.
    3. Describing and Interpreting the language features
    and so on...........

P.S:I really am not sure what to do!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Try:

http://www.easy-abc.com/main/

I heard it may help people with English.

ReputationRep:
    Try those CGP revision guide books, they are great! I used them for most subjects at GCSE, and stole a GCSE Spanish one from my school (out of interest in Spanish). Don't see them for A-Levels but they do sell them!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2003
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.