This discussion is closed.
Allotriophagy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
St Edmunds is so poor man, their pool table is like a desk and it's falling apart!
I know - I stayed there in the summer and was a bit taken aback. Nice enough rooms: I was in the tower and had a lovely view over Cambridge. Ironically, the only mature college I would consider applying to at Cambridge is Lucy Cavendish.

Place was SWARMING with Americans too.

Harris Manchester, Oxford is a nice college but I really want to go to a "normal" college who can throw lots of money at me. Not sure how I will cope being surrounded by 18 year olds (I will be 24 when I arrive if I get in) - probably end up as some elderly spinster agony aunt giving out advice ("Always use condoms and wear a warm jumper!") whilst complaining about chart music being rubbish.

a.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Allotriophagy)
I know - I stayed there in the summer and was a bit taken aback. Nice enough rooms: I was in the tower and had a lovely view over Cambridge. Ironically, the only mature college I would consider applying to at Cambridge is Lucy Cavendish.

Place was SWARMING with Americans too.

Harris Manchester, Oxford is a nice college but I really want to go to a "normal" college who can throw lots of money at me. Not sure how I will cope being surrounded by 18 year olds (I will be 24 when I arrive if I get in) - probably end up as some elderly spinster agony aunt giving out advice ("Always use condoms and wear a warm jumper!") whilst complaining about chart music being rubbish.

a.
Yeah the Americans! They always watch the Simpsons (not a bad thing of course but they fall to pieces at the slightest thing...). The rooms are great, simple and all, brilliant view if you stay high up. The tower is supposed to be the highest point in the city. I'm going to miss my skyscrapers!
Hmmph a lot of Oxbridge people, 'mature' or otherwise, will complain about chart music. I've noticed it with a lot of young middle-class intellects, they love Nirvana and stuff...
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Yeah the Americans! They always watch the Simpsons (not a bad thing of course but they fall to pieces at the slightest thing...). The rooms are great, simple and all, brilliant view if you stay high up. The tower is supposed to be the highest point in the city. I'm going to miss my skyscrapers!
Hmmph a lot of Oxbridge people, 'mature' or otherwise, will complain about chart music. I've noticed it with a lot of young middle-class intellects, they love Nirvana and stuff...
Found out when your interview is juwels?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Found out when your interview is juwels?
Not yet darling! Still need to send this form off, will do tomorrow...
Tina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ok i know this discussion is way off talking abt interviews but neways myne are on 10th/11th dec...for sps at newnham
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Im scared ... Im gonna totally **** up my interview lol. Ive heard applications for Cambridge are up by LOADS this year and there is NO WAY im gonna get in :s
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your choices are to 1) tell yourself you won't get in 2) tell yourself you will get in 3) get really drunk and hope you wake up in the middle of March, by which time you will have the result.

Mustn't stress too much. Especially since "getting in" at this stage actually only means "getting an offer of a place" and doesn't include any results you are yet to achieve. Grumble grumble.

Think of it this way - a lovely day out in Cambridge in the winter. Perhaps it will snow! Anyone for snowball fights on the Old Quad?

Tina, I am in in Cambridge on the 11th too. So there you go.

a.
erika_johanna
Report 17 years ago
I called Clare, and got my date - December 9th. Yay! Proof positive that nagging works!
Also, they sounded so nice this time around. Maybe this will actually go well. Anyway, it'll be nice to meet any of you that are around on the 9th.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
God Im gonna cry!
neona
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm coming to cambridge on the 11th too... philosophy at trinity!
I am so excited !
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by caer)
I am so excited !
I'm going to be at trinity sometime in that week (8th - 14th), so i might see you there
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by caer)
I am so excited !
Eeee, another philosopher!!!
erika_johanna
Report 17 years ago
Okay, I don't think this has been covered before...
A question to anyone else applying to Cambridge for English: how long of a book list did you send in? I'm kind of torn as to whether the point is to give you something to talk about, or to impress the interviewers, or both. So right now my list is pretty short - about 12 books. (I mean, how many deathless classics have you read recently?) Should it be very much longer?
I'm nervous as hell about this. Advice hugely appreciated.
:P:P:P:P:P
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by erika_johanna)
Okay, I don't think this has been covered before...
A question to anyone else applying to Cambridge for English: how long of a book list did you send in? I'm kind of torn as to whether the point is to give you something to talk about, or to impress the interviewers, or both. So right now my list is pretty short - about 12 books. (I mean, how many deathless classics have you read recently?) Should it be very much longer?
I'm nervous as hell about this. Advice hugely appreciated.
I would reckon 12 is more than enough!
Goat
Report 17 years ago
Interview at St Johns on the 9th and then the TSA test on the 10th.

Which is great cos I get to spend the night there!

Anyone else on these days?
erika_johanna
Report 17 years ago
thankyouthankyou. That makes me feel immeasurably better.
xinxinlu
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
clare economics
8th dec 5:00pm test
9th dec 10:00am interview
why so many people choose law at st. john?
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Not me but a close friend..

Vet Medicine/Science..not quite sure of course title
St Catherines
17th December
Goat
Report 17 years ago
Should I read any books on Computer Science? How do I find out whats on the book list that the give you if you get an offer?
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
One of my maths teachers leant me a few books last year that are comp sci related.
One was new Turing Omnibus, and the other was the pleasures of counting.
The pleasures of counting is surposed to be aimed at capable 14 year olds (according to the author - a math prof. at trinity hall), however it seems much more likely that its aimed at capable maths/further maths a-level students
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (554)
50.41%
No (545)
49.59%

Watched Threads