Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge interviews! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Mine is 9th December at Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erika_johanna)
    Okay, I don't think this has been covered before...
    A question to anyone else applying to Cambridge for English: how long of a book list did you send in? I'm kind of torn as to whether the point is to give you something to talk about, or to impress the interviewers, or both. So right now my list is pretty short - about 12 books. (I mean, how many deathless classics have you read recently?) Should it be very much longer?
    I'm nervous as hell about this. Advice hugely appreciated.
    i applied for english at king's... my list was a-level texts with only three or four other writers, because i had lots of other stuff to disclose in one a4 page and didn't want to fruitlessly list books. so i had shakeypierre, austen, woolf, zadie smith... this turns out to have been a good move, because my aunt who is director of studies (or oxfon equiv) at lady margaret hall at oxford is insistent that they don't really care about all of our loves of new books -everyone has read martin amis and he sucks- they'll let you in ohne questions if you profess a passion for shelley. or even better someone older and rennaissancey, i'm going for spenser: look on ye Mighty and despair!!! like innit.

ReputationRep:
    Twenty fife days till my interview.

~hyperventilates~

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    Twenty fife days till my interview.

~hyperventilates~

a.
    I have two mock ones this week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I have two mock ones this week
    Fear not for mocks - they're not supposed to be anything like the real ones. My tutor is going to do some similar stuff with me though, mostly to get practise at articulating my thoughts and ideas. So in that way they are good. Plus she was a solicitor for years and has a brother who is a judge and she's sent off lots of people, successfully, to Cambridge. If I was even 1% as good as her, I would be guaranteed a place. :P ~whimper~

What sort of stuff will you be doing in your mocks? I'm planning to write some extra essays and stuff which we'll discuss and probably do some current affairs stuff too.

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    What sort of stuff will you be doing in your mocks? I'm planning to write some extra essays and stuff which we'll discuss and probably do some current affairs stuff too.

a.
    For my first one, I havn't had to do anything special, I think it's going to be the standard school 'mock' (i.e. nothing like the real thing) interview. But with the second one, I was given a book to read beforehand (only 100 pages left! ) and I reckon that will be like the real thing, talking about the books I've read and the subject etc...

Writing extra essays? Uck, my days of essays are thankfully pretty much long gone...

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about your mocks, they really are just a learning experience They can be scary (my interviewer was acting extremely nasty!) but they are fantastic in showing you what you need to work on, what sort of things you may be asked and how your technique can be improved - I felt slightly more reassured after a mock because I felt now I actually had things to work on and research into rather than just standing around worrying like a lemon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Don't worry about your mocks, they really are just a learning experience They can be scary (my interviewer was acting extremely nasty!) but they are fantastic in showing you what you need to work on, what sort of things you may be asked and how your technique can be improved - I felt slightly more reassured after a mock because I felt now I actually had things to work on and research into rather than just standing around worrying like a lemon
    The last thing I want is to actually have my real interviewer being someone who is just trying to be as much of an ******* as possible, sadly I know my mock interviewer [well, one of them] is going to be nasty.

Good luck with your applications Allo and Lucy

ReputationRep:
    My interviewer was acting like a right prat but after the interview during interview feedback he was completely lovely and was great in picking out things from my personal statement which interviewers are likely to pick up on. My view is that it's good to have a really bad mock interview so that your real one (hopefully) will be a nice surprise Good luck with your mock interview, I'm sure you'll be fine and grateful for it afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    The last thing I want is to actually have my real interviewer being someone who is just trying to be as much of an ******* as possible, sadly I know my mock interviewer [well, one of them] is going to be nasty.
    Lucky you, having two mock interviews... whereas me, still looking for one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Lucky you, having two mock interviews... whereas me, still looking for one...
    same hear, not one mock interview yet but my tutor said he'll get some one,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    My interviewer was acting like a right prat but after the interview during interview feedback he was completely lovely and was great in picking out things from my personal statement which interviewers are likely to pick up on. My view is that it's good to have a really bad mock interview so that your real one (hopefully) will be a nice surprise Good luck with your mock interview, I'm sure you'll be fine and grateful for it afterwards!
    So when my interview is going really badly, I can just think to myself "yes, this is just what I want!"

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! And apparently you should feel like that after your oxbridge interview as well because if they like you they will push you to your limit to the point where you are in a half dazed state of panic unable to answer any more of the absurd questions they will be throwing at you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Definitely! And apparently you should feel like that after your oxbridge interview as well because if they like you they will push you to your limit to the point where you are in a half dazed state of panic unable to answer any more of the absurd questions they will be throwing at you !
    Wow, what a wonderful thing to look forward to!

ReputationRep:
    What's your subject, theone?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Maths at Trinity (theone that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goat)
    Should I read any books on Computer Science? How do I find out whats on the book list that the give you if you get an offer?
    The Turing Omnibus is good. Sometimes hard to understand, especially if (like me) you know nothing about comp sci. when you start it. It covers loads of topics, like applications of various bits of theory and what's being researched at the moment, as well as a few really basic bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Maths at Trinity (theone that is)
    I am indeed applying for Maths at Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't that mean you have to take STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worried)
    Doesn't that mean you have to take STEP?
    Yep, it's not that bad, I've already done STEP I.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.