This discussion is closed.
Worried
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Good luck with it The mere prospect of taking something as reputedly difficult as STEP is far too frightening for me.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Worried)
Good luck with it The mere prospect of taking something as reputedly difficult as STEP is far too frightening for me.
STEP is portrayed as being far harder than it actually is IMHO. It just takes a lot of practice (combined with a fair bit of ability and luck in the exam)
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Got an Interview at Girton on the 6th of December.. :eek:
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Got an Interview at Girton on the 6th of December.. :eek:
Yay Elle! Best of luck!
Goat
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
STEP is portrayed as being far harder than it actually is IMHO. It just takes a lot of practice (combined with a fair bit of ability and luck in the exam)
You got 121 on the maths challenge though so I think you have more than a fair bit of ability!
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Yay Elle! Best of luck!
Thanks ZJuwelH.. likewise!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
You got 121 on the maths challenge though so I think you have more than a fair bit of ability!
Hmmph I imagine half the Maths candidates are going to be as skilled. I got a measly 83, no way I'm getting in. But theone should get in with that ability so best of luck. See you in Manchester or Queen Mary...
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Hmmph I imagine half the Maths candidates are going to be as skilled. I got a measly 83, no way I'm getting in. But theone should get in with that ability so best of luck. See you in Manchester or Queen Mary...
I'd like to thank you all once again for your support .

But really, the SMC isn't really a great indicator of mathematical ability. I imagine many strong candidates achieved marks a fair bit lower than that... and 83 is a pretty impressive score. Ability to cope with the harder questions (e.g. BMO questions and STEP questions) is more of the discriminator between candidates IMHO. And I'm surely you'll do great Juwel
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

But really, the SMC isn't really a great indicator of mathematical ability. I imagine many strong candidates achieved marks a fair bit lower than that... and 83 is a pretty impressive score. Ability to cope with the harder questions (e.g. BMO questions and STEP questions) is more of the discriminator between candidates IMHO. And I'm surely you'll do great Juwel
Fella who captained the British team at International Maths Olympiad last year has applied to Trinity for Maths - should imagine he'll fly through as the girl who was co-captain with him is now in her first year at Trinity - Maths. Some stiff competition but if you're going through Special Access you stand a much bigger chance.
Good luck for ?9th, we're rooting for you.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Fella who captained the British team at International Maths Olympiad last year has applied to Trinity for Maths - should imagine he'll fly through as the girl who was co-captain with him is now in her first year at Trinity - Maths. Some stiff competition but if you're going through Special Access you stand a much bigger chance.
Yep, I have no doubt that Paul Jefferys (the captain you mentioned) will get in no problem at all...
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Awww, thanks, where are you applying for?
Goat
Report 17 years ago
How long do Cambridge take to let you know if youve got an offer after your interview? Will they hint afterwards?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Goat)
How long do Cambridge take to let you know if youve got an offer after your interview? Will they hint afterwards?
I know it's early New Year at the latest, but most people (at least for Maths at Trin) find out during the Dec27-30 period...
Tina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so what are peoples tips for interview???? i mean what are we supposed to talk about for that long.,....imknown for being a chatterbox but i am just ever so slightly frightened abt my interviews! :confused:
TK0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
so what are peoples tips for interview???? i mean what are we supposed to talk about for that long.,....imknown for being a chatterbox but i am just ever so slightly frightened abt my interviews! :confused:
if its 1:1 ur lucky, just act all confident answer the questions they ask as best u cant and try n lead the idle chat a bit makes it smoother :-)
Tina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
if its 1:1 ur lucky, just act all confident answer the questions they ask as best u cant and try n lead the idle chat a bit makes it smoother :-)
ive assumed its one on one .....but dont know specific details only know dates and who its with. how abt u?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
Don't be frightened They're usually really nice to you - of course, this is nice at the same time as asking horrible questions!! But they'll help you through stuff - they just want to get an idea of how you think. Don't try and be anyone you're not cos they'll probably see through it - they have quite a lot of experience at this kind of thing... And if you come out thinking it was totally crap it's probably a good sign - they want to really test the people they think have ability! They'll ask you questions to help you with things to talk about; just when they've asked you a question try and think of lots of things to say. It's better not to give really short answers because then they have to ask loads of questions and that won't give a very good impression, but don't panic over it You'll be fine I'm sure!!
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
ive assumed its one on one .....but dont know specific details only know dates and who its with. how abt u?
I know mine is 2:1
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance theone, at least I know I'll get what I deserve.
In the SMC My mate cheated, saw the answers and got 97, and now our teacher (oblivious to the cheatery) reckons he might make the Invitational International, the injustice makes my blood boil!!!
Never done the BMO and I find the sample STEP very hard, never mind...
Tipex-Mouse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Allotriophagy)
11th December from noon till around 4:30pm.

St.John's College.

Law.
12th December, Afternoon. Probably go on the 11th.
St. John's
MML

hey Allotriophagy, I'm a mature applicant too. You were right about the St. John's admissions department being angels, and about the grad colleges (st. ed's in particular) being a bit grim!

I imagine the undergrad colleges have a maximum number mature students they admit. I suppose that puts us in indirect competition with each other :-(
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (35)
14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (54)
21.6%
Live streaming events (24)
9.6%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (24)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (59)
23.6%
An in-person event when available (54)
21.6%