Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    aaah! I hadn't bargained on beginning a religious furore!! but if your complying with a religion then they become an issue- otherwise they're as acceptable as you want them to be. I'd never pick or have a religion or lifestyle that i didn't agree with enforced on me- now to very tactlessly attempt to brush this aside I say- ahem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Some of those things may be bad, drugs and the like, but what is the problem with eating pork and premarital sex?
    Eating food from a pig is forbidden in Islam (though I have not a scooby why, and a lot of Muslims avoid pork not because it is forbidden but because pigs are so filthy, well so what, aren't the other animals, and they aren't dirty when they hit your plate!).

As for pre-marital, again forbidden in Islam. Sex is seen as a gift from God to be shared by a married couple. How times have changed. And again, many Muslims have sex for no more reason than to bear children rather than to share the gift...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Eating food from a pig is forbidden in Islam (though I have not a scooby why, and a lot of Muslims avoid pork not because it is forbidden but because pigs are so filthy, well so what, aren't the other animals, and they aren't dirty when they hit your plate!).

As for pre-marital, again forbidden in Islam. Sex is seen as a gift from God to be shared by a married couple. How times have changed. And again, many Muslims have sex for no more reason than to bear children rather than to share the gift...
    I thought pigs were one of the cleanest animals in the world. All those lovely mud baths, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I thought pigs were one of the cleanest animals in the world. All those lovely mud baths, lol.
    Yeah I think they are! lol

But Bacon stinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Yeah I think they are! lol

But Bacon stinks
    Tastes pretty good, though.

ReputationRep:
    Damn right!

ReputationRep:
    I guess... if you hold your nose and close your eyes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Will I be the only one who possibly has to come with parents and put him/her up in a hotel for the night??? lol.
    thats odd clare are feeding me and im staying there on the sunday night

ReputationRep:
    you get food???????!!!!

New Hall have offered me some chalk to chew on and a rack to be stretched on for the night.

some may say I'm cynical...
    others pick up on my new-found inability to spell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meltingmetal)
    you get food???????!!!!

New Hall have offered me some chalk to chew on and a rack to be stretched on for the night.

some may say I'm cynical...
    others pick up on my new-found inability to spell
    Cool someone else applying to New Hall! What subject are you applying for ? I haven't heard anything yet - hope this isn't a portent of doom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    thats odd clare are feeding me and im staying there on the sunday night
    Whens your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Cool someone else applying to New Hall! What subject are you applying for ? I haven't heard anything yet - hope this isn't a portent of doom
    I'd say you'll hear from them asap- my interview stuff was sent late last week and I was meant to return those forms by friday- which didn't happen, which erm still hasn't happened so i'm kinda creating trouble. Anyway I've applied for English- what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic. Apparently New Hall overall have had 'masses' of interview invitations to send out this year - I hope this is just 'masses' in comparison with previous years! Anyway, good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Minta, I applied for Med at Christ's and haven't heard anything from Cambridge yet. In fact, none of the 8ish Cambridge applicants (in any subjcet) from my school has heard back yet. Then again, it might be because I'm an overseas applicant...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    Minta, I applied for Med at Christ's and haven't heard anything from Cambridge yet. In fact, none of the 8ish Cambridge applicants (in any subjcet) from my school has heard back yet. Then again, it might be because I'm an overseas applicant...?

Could be, maybe it depends on what country you're applying from? I think it might be a good idea to phone the college and check what's going on, as in my opinion they're cutting it very fine to still not have sent interview details out by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Could be, maybe it depends on what country you're applying from? I think it might be a good idea to phone the college and check what's going on, as in my opinion they're cutting it very fine to still not have sent interview details out by now.
    This is true. Some people worry about phoning the admissions office in case it affects result but don't worry. If worried about not having received a date then phone and ask - it's the only way to sort things out and it won't go down on your record!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    This is true. Some people worry about phoning the admissions office in case it affects result but don't worry. If worried about not having received a date then phone and ask - it's the only way to sort things out and it won't go down on your record!
    Sound advice. My problem is a bit different, as I know when my interview will be as my school careers teacher phoned on my behalf to ask (although I haven't actually received written confirmation of this). The real problem is that I still haven't received any request for written work, or a cover sheet which needs to be signed by my teachers before the work can be sent off, so I'm kinda in limbo. As a matter of interest, which college/year/subject are you studying, Haz?

ReputationRep:
    Hi--does anyone know what type of questions I should be expecting on the specific subject test at cambridge (for law)?
    ...and is it true that they interview the majority of applicants. I' m not even getting interviewed cause I'm overseas (and being interviewed is my strong point). I'm writing the tests supervised and one of my teachers has to send them back to cam. Ugggh--this is trecherous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canada Girl)
    Hi--does anyone know what type of questions I should be expecting on the specific subject test at cambridge (for law)?
    ...and is it true that they interview the majority of applicants. I' m not even getting interviewed cause I'm overseas (and being interviewed is my strong point). I'm writing the tests supervised and one of my teachers has to send them back to cam. Ugggh--this is trecherous!
    Hey Canada Girl, it's true that Cambridge interviews most of its applicants. As an overseas student, the only question is whether your interview will be held in your home city/country or whether you will go to Cambridge to have it. I'm not sure what the deal is for Canadian applicants though.

For me, I'm also an overseas applicant but from Hong Kong, and I know that there are Cambridge representatives that come here to interview. But I was told that these people interviewing in my home country do so on behalf of the university, not my college, and ultimately it's your college that decides whether you get in or not.

When I spoke to Cambridge admissions tutors this summer, they did mention that interviewing in Cambridge does give you a slight advantage over those interviewed in their home countries (since the college tutors actually meet you, instead of just reading a report on you).

You're probably best off e-mailing your college tutors directly at this stage, since all of the remaining interviews will be finished by Christmas time (as far as I'm aware of anyway) .

ReputationRep:
    Oh by the way Canada Girl, I was born in Calgary

I'm curious though as to why you've applied to the UK, because not too many Canadians apply overseas, and almost all that do go to the US.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.