The Student Room Group

How can I get over my embarrassment going swimming?

Im going swimming tomorrow but I'm really nervous
I'm worried that people will judge me in my costume saying that im ugly and fat
And I'm worried because I have to shave, and my hair grows back really fast
So that if i shave tonight
I will be stubbly by tomorrow morning (when Im going swimming) :s-smilie:

Once im in the water I will be ok because people cant really see me, but its when i have to get out, or when i go out to jump in (ill be playing about im going with friends) or when im going to another part of the pool

Because of all this embarrassment I havent been swimming in over a year
And its a shame because I really love swimming but I just get so nervous

Btw im a 17 year old girl

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NinjaBread
I will be stubbly by tomorrow morning (when Im goign swimming) :s-smilie:

Once im in the water I will be ok because people cant really see me, but its when i have to get out, or when i go out to jump in (ill be playing about im going with friends) or when im going to another part of the pool

Btw im a year old girl

a year old girl....?
well i'm hairy and that scares me more than anything...what do people think of hairy people that go swimming? Is it socially acceptable or do we men have to be completely shaved/waxed in order for it to be OK to enter a public pool?
I don't think your friends will notice as I doubt they'll be looking that closely at your crotch. However if you are still worried maybe get a small swimming skirt or shorts.

Edit: or you could wear boardshorts over your costume and just tell your mates you don't like your thighs.
Reply 4
blue_shift86
well i'm hairy and that scares me more than anything...what do people think of hairy people that go swimming? Is it socially acceptable or do we men have to be completely shaved/waxed in order for it to be OK to enter a public pool?

No...men are naturally hairier than women. As for Ninja bread...shave in the morning in stead of the night before.
Reply 5
elldee
a year old girl....?

Sorry, made a mistake :eek3:
Fixed it though :rolleyes:
I dont think anyone will care. Or even notice, unless you walk around making it obvious that you're nervous, you'll draw attention to yourself that way :yep:
Reply 7
blue_shift86

Its a bit different for men and women in my opinion though.
If you saw a woman going in the swimming pool with you with hairy legs, would you tihnk it was a bit gross? Or would you think?

I would think most people would find it gross, and would try to stay away from the hairy lady :P
Buy some boardshorts http://www.w1style.co.uk/products/ss06-gbopga-brn_a.jpg
they will cover alot of your leg and look really nice too :smile:
You could even wear an old tshirt in the pool over the top of your cozzie.
Reply 9
Suck it in, and get straight into the pool, no strutting around and all that.
Cherry Kisses
Buy some boardshorts http://www.w1style.co.uk/products/ss06-gbopga-brn_a.jpg
they will cover alot of your leg and look really nice too :smile:
You could even wear an old tshirt in the pool over the top of your cozzie.

Surely that would attract unwanted attention.
blue_shift86

Ah man, tell me about it. I used to go a lot and it never bothered me until i went with my bros gf and she was just like "Ew thats gross". To be fair she always tells me its gross anyway so w/e. I'm gunna start swimming again anyway coz i've put on weight and i always found swimming a good way to lose it. So yeah, Big hairy men coming soon to a swimming pool near you (or not near you as the case may be)

Anyway where was i? Just dont worry about it. If you worry about it you will subconsciously turn everything anyone says into something negative about yourself. And if you are worried about hair then shave in the morning. :smile:

Good luck :hugs:
NW8_SW1_EC3
Surely that would attract unwanted attention.

no it would look good. :yes: like a nice fitted tshirt with capped sleeves
dont worry about it. everyone is more than likely worrying about how they look to notice what you look like. just relax and youll be fine.
Reply 14
NinjaBread
Its a bit different for men and women in my opinion though.
If you saw a woman going in the swimming pool with you with hairy legs, would you tihnk it was a bit gross? Or would you think?

I would think most people would find it gross, and would try to stay away from the hairy lady :P

Hmm how dark is your leg hair? If it's really fair it probably won't be that noticable, but if you have dark leg hair people may notice...but they probably still wont unless they are near you.
It's fine seriously. I am overweight and have to do hydrotherapy (exercises in a pool for my knees) I get some right looks when i'm doing squats in water and balancing with my hands in the air and my eyes closed. Imagine how that feels! You should just do it, trust me, look to the positive side like i have in my situation, i am caring alot less than previously about what people think about my weight and things!

Good luck, you can do it :smile:
Tbh OP if you act confident the chances are nobody will even notice/care. I once pulled my mate's shorts down when he was out the pool exposing him fully to several people (including girls) and he just shrugged it off and nobody really cared. Moral of that little story - confidence is key :yep:
NinjaBread

pft nobody will look at you twice. i'm sure there are plenty more uglier, larger, hairier, older people in the pool. people are there to exercise not check out each others bods.

just don't go jumping in with a bikini and you should be fine.
Reply 18
NinjaBread

get hair removal cream! while i'm not overly hairy, it takes mine about a week to become apparent.
Reply 19
Lifeguard for 4 years here and I can honestly say that noone really looks that much at all. Unless someone is specifically 'out on the pull' there (yeah, it does happen occasionally!!) most just stick to their own business. As for the lifeguards, we never really look at a specific person unless they stand out amazingly or are drowning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending