The Student Room Group

Rowing machine or exercise bike to lose fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cantab
Yes, but it can be pretty embarassing when you jump on an erg in a gym and suddenly find yourself alongside tiny little girls who can row a lot faster than you, simply because they've been taught the proper technique.

Ain't never happened to me:cool:
But then, our gym's broken, and there was only one erg anyways, so they'd not get on if I was!:rolleyes:
I would say rowing machine, but if its in your room itd take up too much space/be expensive to get a good one and you probably wouldnt be using it properly anyway. So get a bike.
Reply 22
I'd say rowing machine, but you'll be needing to spend a few hundred quid on one to get a decent one. Concept2 preferably. I made the mistake of buying a cheap one (~£100) and it was completely crap and had absolutly no resistance.
Original post by --
All those people who can't sustain rowing for more than 5-10 minutes, you know you can just row slower/with less power and row for a lot longer? I'm part of a rowing club and we mix 2x30 minute 'long' training sessions with 4x1km or 5km sprints, it depends what you're trying to get out of it. If you just want to burn calories, go for a long session, lower the RPM and just try and improve your rating/wattage each time.

That said, I'd probably say get the best recumbent bike on the market- it's much easier to use properly. Most people without proper coaching can't use a good rowing machine to save their life and have terrible technique, wasting energy rowing like a madman but getting a **** split time.

Exactly!! Rowers are meant to be used perfectly otherwise you lose lots of energy in vain. I have used rowers for years but frankly speaking I never got to know exactly how to use them in the earliest years. I just used to row for long period of time without knowing the right technique. Later, I joined a gym and the instructor showed me the right way to use rowing machine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Both are good. But I use an exercise bike at home. By using this you can lose your weight and also get rid of your foot injury. So I suggest you purchase an exercise bike.
Reply 25
Original post by --
That said, I'd probably say get the bike - it's much easier to use properly. Most people without proper coaching can't use a rowing machine to save their life and have terrible technique, wasting energy rowing like a madman but getting a **** split time.

As someone who was looking at one point going semipro/pro on a bike, I can assure you watching people on a bike without proper technique is equally cringe worthy, you just likely don't notice it (like I equally wouldn't notice bad technique on a rowing machine so much). Terrible cadence, lack of control, only putting in energy through like 100degree of the spin, wasting energy bobbing around their upper body like they're hoping the fat will just shake off. Hell, when they stand it gets even worse.
Undoubtedly, the rowing machine is more effective compared to the exercise bike for losing fat. If you work at the gym, it’s quite okay; but, if you would like to buy for your home; you should think of the budget. In this regard, a recumbent bike is more convenient both for exercise and budget. However, if you don’t need to think of price, the rowing machine is the best.

Quick Reply

Latest