Who goes to a grammar school?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
SOAD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I go to a grammar school, in Grantham, Lincolnshire. All boys and where Isaac Newton went to..wooh give it up for me :rolleyes:
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregister)
it was in some post, some guy called mjg or sommat kept goin on bout u being a genius and doing it (getting all A*s) with style

he sounded like a bum chum.

neway, just outta interest, what did u get in ur gcses? or what are u estimated.

Is this all it takes to be a genius these days?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Recusant)
During my last year of primary school I spent an unbelievable amount of time preparing for the entrance tests, giving up rugby and judo 2 of my fave sports and missing out on a lot of freetime to play with friends etc. I was just so focussed on getting in, and having a rather pushy mom didn't help either
That bit did sound somewhat bitter and worse than it was though, so I guess I take it back.

I'm from Northern Ireland, and I sat the 11+, got an A and now go to a (free) grammar school. I don't get it, you got rid of the 11+, but now you sit multiple entry tests instead. I was never under any real pressure while sitting my 11+, and feel I have benefited from the grammar school education, although I'm still not entirely certain of how fair it all is.

Anyway, my point is, what was the point of scrapping the 11+ when you still have selection, and sit exams which are, I imagine, very similar to the 11+?
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I'm from Northern Ireland, and I sat the 11+, got an A and now go to a (free) grammar school. I don't get it, you got rid of the 11+, but now you sit multiple entry tests instead. I was never under any real pressure while sitting my 11+, and feel I have benefited from the grammar school education, although I'm still not entirely certain of how fair it all is.

Anyway, my point is, what was the point of scrapping the 11+ when you still have selection, and sit exams which are, I imagine, very similar to the 11+?
Most people still call entrance exams the 11+ still.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Most people still call entrance exams the 11+ still.
if you try to attend a school which selects pupils at 11, it tends to be called an 11+ entance exam. I got into a grammar school, but did not go there.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
if you try to attend a school which selects pupils at 11, it tends to be called an 11+ entance exam. I got into a grammer school, but did not go there.
If you had gone, they would have taught you how to spell 'grammar'
YouKnewThat!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Exactly how many Grammar schools in the country are left?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeh private mixed schools obviously don't work as iv spent too much time paying attention to the girls and not enough time paying attention to our silly welfare state and its institutions, like free education *pfahh*.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by YouKnewThat!)
Exactly how many Grammar schools in the country are left?
Anna
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
relax with the Grammar Schools! Some people on this forum go way overboard with the grammar school business. If you go to a Grammar School they yayyy good for you, and if you don't then yayyyy good for you to. :rolleyes:
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)

i go to a grammer school!!!
YouKnewThat!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I know for a fact that the Grammar school system is still full in use on the Channel Islands. Anna, you are right: Have rep! Merry Christmas
Anna
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by YouKnewThat!)
I know for a fact that the Grammar school system is still full in use on the Channel Islands. Anna, you are right: Have rep! Merry Christmas
ooo thankyou,merry christmas to you too
txt_eva
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm at Plymouth High Grammar School for Girls. Near me there's Devonport High for Girls/Devonport High for Boys... Neither are in Devonport, all in Plymouth... hmmm

I took the 11+. I Don't & never have paid... tho there is a private school down the road..
hevva111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i no landcaster grammer shool. its great. i go to casterton school
DazYa
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i used go to to Colchester Royal Grammar till i dropped out due to the staggering work loads ( dropped out within first few weeks of year 7 )

CRGS achieved the top A level results in 2003 =P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (261)
51.89%
No (242)
48.11%

Watched Threads