This discussion is closed.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I have to come up with my hyptohesis by tommorow, but i dont have a clue what to do. I really want a good grade and see i want an investigation that wont limit me.

Apparently to get a good grade you have to use primary and secondary data, so what investigation could i do that would then allow me to use secondary data?

Has any1 on here done GCSE Stats (AQA Board) and if so what c/w did u do + what grade?

Any help would be so appreciated - you do not know how sadly desperate i am!

Thanx
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I did AQA GCSE Stats 2 years ago

I don't think we had to do primary/secondary data. I did mine about the weather. It looks quite lame looking back at it now but I got 25/30 on the coursework and ended up with a B overall (including the exam). If you have to collect secondry/primary data perhaps you could do something like collecting people's heights in a survey and then comparing it to the average for the country by looking up the stats on the internet. Here's the intro + hypothesis of my coursework to give you an idea of what sort of thing you might want to do (hope it helps):

What Affects the Temperature?

Problem:
Temperature varies all around the world at different times of the year. It is sometimes difficult to tell what is affecting the temperature and if other elements of the weather have got anything to do with it.

Aim:
I aim to find out what effects, various elements of the weather have on the temperature if any.

Plan of action:
I will collect data relating to how rainfall and wind affect the temperature from various parts of the world. To choose which parts of the world I will be collecting data from, I will use stratified random sampling. I will split a map of the world into 225 squares - 112.5 squares above the equator and 112.5 squares below the equator. My sample size will be 10%, which is equal to 23 squares:

10 = 22.5 =23 = 11.5 =12

Sample size 23 = 11.5 squares above the equator and 11.5 squares below the equator.
I have to do this to ensure that data is collected from both above and below the equator. If I had just used random sampling then the data could all end up being from one part of the world which would be an unrepresentative sample.
Then to actually choose which square to get data from, I shall number the squares above the equator 1 – 112 and the squares below the equator 113 – 225. Then I will use the random number button on my calculator to pick the exact square.
To show the results of the data collected I will use various graphs, this will help me to analyse the data by using certain calculations.

Hypothesis:
I have come up with 4 predictions as to what I think the results will be. They are listed below:
· Heavy rainfall and heavy winds will result in overall temperatures being lower.
· Heavy rainfall will affect the temperatures quite dramatically but heavy winds will have little or no effect on them.
· Rainfall and winds will have no affect whatsoever on the temperature.
· Heavy winds will result in lower temperatures but rainfall will have very little, although some affect on temperatures.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
I have to come up with my hyptohesis by tommorow, but i dont have a clue what to do. I really want a good grade and see i want an investigation that wont limit me.

Apparently to get a good grade you have to use primary and secondary data, so what investigation could i do that would then allow me to use secondary data?

Has any1 on here done GCSE Stats (AQA Board) and if so what c/w did u do + what grade?

Any help would be so appreciated - you do not know how sadly desperate i am!

Thanx
I did it, got grade A. Coursework was well easy! Well, say you had to compare the heights and weights of boys and girls of the same age. Your hypothesis might be: "I predict that boys are on average taller and heavier". You might want to also talk about how spread their weights might be (to be measured by SD, PMCC, spearman's rank).
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Also did GCSE AQA Stats, 3 years ago, and did something about weather.

Seem to remember doing a couple of hypotheses; all based around "What Effects Temperature?"

Studying using secondary data that was easily available on t'internet, average annual temperature against distance from equator, average hours of sun, height above sea level etc.

If you are doing anything to do with weather:

http://www.weatherbase.com

And by the way, I came away with an A coursework, A overall.
FudgeMonkey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Thanx for your help...i am quite liking to weight and weight idea cos it sounds slightley easier then the other two! I am going to ask my maths teacher for help tomorrow, doe s any1 know where i kind find any secondary hieght research? Or does any1 know the website for the Mayfeild School data?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
Thanx for your help...i am quite liking to weight and weight idea cos it sounds slightley easier then the other two! I am going to ask my maths teacher for help tomorrow, doe s any1 know where i kind find any secondary hieght research? Or does any1 know the website for the Mayfeild School data?
Can you not just make it up or does your school not have previous data for you to use?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (225)
51.14%
No (215)
48.86%

Watched Threads