The Student Room Group

Returning Stuff Without Receipt

Can you do this? The skirt was only bought about a fortnight ago, and it still has the tags on it (and the tags say the price). I realise I might only get the sale price if it's been reduced since, or store credit, but I don't mind that. Just wondering if they'd take it back at all.

It's from New Look, if anyone knows their specific policy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you can get an exchange
Reply 2
Joanna May
Can you do this? The skirt was only bought about a fortnight ago, and it still has the tags on it (and the tags say the price). I realise I might only get the sale price if it's been reduced since, or store credit, but I don't mind that. Just wondering if they'd take it back at all.

It's from New Look, if anyone knows their specific policy.

Call them?

Most shops let you have an exchange without receipt. If you're lucky you'll get gift vouchers. If they're arsey they'll let you have nothing
You should be able to get an exchange. You might get a refund in gift vouchers for the store if you ask but it'll be at sale price if it is in the sale now.
You can at John Lewis. You can even get a full refund.

Reply 5
I used to work at New Look

You can return items without a receipt aslong as it has all the tags on and you will get the sale price if it has been reduced. Also you wont get money back, you will get store credit vouchers of it's current value.
I'm not sure about clothes shops, but I worked in John Lewis and it was always possible to get an exchange on an item without the receipt. Go in and ask; the people working there will want to satisfy you to keep up the reputation of the shop, so it's likely they will allow you to exchange (though I'm not so sure about money back).
Reply 7
I don't want an exchange, if that's all they offer me, I'll keep the skirt and ebay it.

Thanks guys, I don't mind store credit, I spend tons in there anyway so it's basically real money to me. It shouldn't be in the sale yet, I'd never seen that particular skirt in there before, but even if it is, sale price is better than nothing! :smile:
I recently had to return a cardigan which had a hole in it. I didn't have the receipt as I had bought it when I was at home and left the receipt somewhere there. They just exchanged it for a non-damaged cardigan.
You'll not get as much on ebay for it as you would if you just took it back though!
you wont get much for it on ebay. but its worth a shot youll probs get store credit.
Reply 11
Stace-is-Ace
You'll not get as much on ebay for it as you would if you just took it back though!

Which is why I said I'd ebay it if they refused to give me any kind of refund or store credit...
You should be able to get an exchange or store credit but at the managers discretion. should be fine aslong as it still has tags on and hasnt been worn.
I've done it in primark and just wangled it..
Don't think they have to if you haven't got proof of purchase, but stand there, make an ordeal of it and you should (hey... PSE can be useful).
Well played. ^^^
Your best bet will be, as others have said, an exchange.

If you buy a product from Argos using your card and lose the receipt, they may still offer a full refund, so long as you are able to provide a bank statement showing that you had brought the product form Argos.
Reply 17
Brilliant. I haven't worn it. Just thought I liked it, then realised I didn't. I'll try not to make too much of a scene! I know they don't have to take it back, but it'd be nice if they did :smile:
should have any problem with a straight exchange. if you really want your money back though and you paid by card get your statement and if it shows the value of the item being debited from your account by New Look then you may get your money back at the manager's discretion.
Unless the item is faulty I don't think they actually have to do anything for you.

Do you just not like it anymore?

Quick Reply

Latest