The Student Room Group

MY PERSONAL STATEMENT- Opinions pleeeease!

Hi, my personal statement needs to be finished by tomorrow so that i can hand my UCAS form into my college..... still unsure whether i have included everything that i need to...and not quite sure if its all in the right order and how i should end it! Im applying for a BA in Graphic Design @ University of the Arts (London) any feedback would be most helpful!

Many thanks

Rachael x :smile:

Heres what i have so far...

Growing up in such a culturally diverse and fast-paced city as London, surrounded and inspired by the ever changing fashions and technology, I always felt that somehow, in the future, id play a part in this progression- maybe it was inevitable.

As far back as I can remember, ive always had a passion for art and design- whether it be self initiated projects such as designing and creating outfits to wear on nights out as a teenager or commissioned work such as designing flyers for friends club nights as I have been of late, ive always been up to something creative. This creative streak also led me to experiment in other areas of my life- with music being a huge passion of mine, I bought myself a pair of decks and signed up for a 1 year course in Dance Music Production/DJ Workshop which I thoroughly enjoyed. I still DJ at parties and occasionally on an Internet Radio Station called UK Rumble when I can.

Currently, in tandem with my BTEC Graphic Design studies, I am also employed as Assistant Editor/Sole Designer for a periodical Legal Journal/Membership organisation called LAPM where I am responsible for research, content, all aspects of design, print buying, marketing and distribution. I am also in charge of co-ordinating the Training courses which we provide to our members, maintaining our website (which I designed) and all day-to-day administration work. I have been employed at LAPM for a year and four months now and enjoy the challenge of my job. Working in publishing, I am now accustomed to meeting deadlines and have acquired many valuable skills during my time at the firm.

However, there are certain limitations in my workplace and sometimes, I feel that this can restrict my creativity to an extent. This is why I think this course would benefit me so much- to enable me to learn through experimentation, exactly what graphic design can be and to allow my creativity to flourish and reach its full potential.

I feel that studying Graphic Design at degree level would be a great benefit to me and a welcome challenge as it would allow me to broaden and develop my ideas and knowledge of design processes, methods and media. It would also enable me to develop and refine my graphic style and professional identity and prepare me for a professional Design environment.

One of the most important aspects of my work is colour- I feel that colour can convey a mood or emotion with or without text, and can draw the eye and therefore the viewers attention subconsciously. This is why I particularly admire the work of Lichtenstein- his bold use of colour and form is simple yet effective- and I try to apply these principles to my own work, because sometimes, I believe, less is more. I am also inspired by the work of Illustrator Jason Brooks- his sleek, urban style is something which I can relate to and aspire to in my own work.

I enjoy using modern technology in my work and through experimentation and a little text book help at home, have taught myself a selection of design software programs. One of the things which I love most about design is being able to import something into my PC, and after distorting, filtering and playing with the colour and composition; outputting something completely new- I find transformation fascinating. I also enjoy mixing media with more traditional practices such as screenprinting, which I studied during my current course and thoroughly enjoyed.

:confused: HELP!
it looks fairly good. best of luck with it.

However i wouldnt leave it up here for long because it will be copied by others
Reply 2
Dollface_1210
Growing up in such a culturally diverse and fast-paced city as London, surrounded and inspired by the ever changing fashions and technology, I always felt that somehow, in the future, id play a part in this progression- maybe it was inevitable.

I find that a horrible start to a PS. I don't know why. It just seems weird to start a personal statement by talking about where you live and that you just kind of 'feel' that you'd like to play a part.

Also, "id" should be "I'd".
Reply 3
I would prevent using short forms like "I'd". Instead, spell out the whole word (e.g. 'I would').
Reply 4
Dollface_1210
Hi, my personal statement needs to be finished by tomorrow so that i can hand my UCAS form into my college..... still unsure whether i have included everything that i need to...and not quite sure if its all in the right order and how i should end it! Im applying for a BA in Graphic Design @ University of the Arts (London) any feedback would be most helpful!

Many thanks

Rachael x :smile:

Heres what i have so far...

As far back as I can remember, ive always had a passion for art and design- whether it be self initiated projects such as designing and creating outfits to wear on nights out as a teenager or commissioned work such as designing flyers for friends club nights as I have been of late, ive always been up to something creative. This creative streak also led me to experiment in other areas of my life- with music being a huge passion of mine, I bought myself a pair of decks and signed up for a 1 year course in Dance Music Production/DJ Workshop which I thoroughly enjoyed. I still DJ at parties and occasionally on an Internet Radio Station called UK Rumble when I can.

Currently, in tandem with my BTEC Graphic Design studies, I am also employed as Assistant Editor/Sole Designer for a periodical Legal Journal/Membership organisation called LAPM where I am responsible for research, content, all aspects of design, print buying, marketing and distribution. I am also in charge of co-ordinating the Training courses which we provide to our members, maintaining our website (which I designed) and all day-to-day administration work. I have been employed at LAPM for a year and four months now and enjoy the challenge of my job. Working in publishing, I am now accustomed to meeting deadlines and have acquired many valuable skills during my time at the firm.

However, there are certain limitations in my workplace and sometimes, I feel that this can restrict my creativity to an extent. This is why I think this course would benefit me so much- to enable me to learn through experimentation, exactly what graphic design can be and to allow my creativity to flourish and reach its full potential.

I feel that studying Graphic Design at degree level would be a great benefit to me and a welcome challenge as it would allow me to broaden and develop my ideas and knowledge of design processes, methods and media. It would also enable me to develop and refine my graphic style and professional identity and prepare me for a professional Design environment.

One of the most important aspects of my work is colour- I feel that colour can convey a mood or emotion with or without text, and can draw the eye and therefore the viewers attention subconsciously. This is why I particularly admire the work of Lichtenstein- his bold use of colour and form is simple yet effective- and I try to apply these principles to my own work, because sometimes, I believe, less is more. I am also inspired by the work of Illustrator Jason Brooks- his sleek, urban style is something which I can relate to and aspire to in my own work.

I enjoy using modern technology in my work and through experimentation and a little text book help at home, have taught myself a selection of design software programs. One of the things which I love most about design is being able to import something into my PC, and after distorting, filtering and playing with the colour and composition; outputting something completely new- I find transformation fascinating. I also enjoy mixing media with more traditional practices such as screenprinting, which I studied during my current course and thoroughly enjoyed.

:confused: HELP!

personally wouldn't use "as far back as I can remember", bit overused and it might relate to a very shot period of time!

Latest

Trending

Trending