Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As you all must know, bar those living in a box today was Rememberance Sunday. I took part by selling Poppies yesterday in my town (The only person under 45 to do so) and laying the wreath from the Red Cross this morning at the service at our town's war memorial.
    I was just wondering what your views are on this occasion? Did you buy a Poppy? Or did you buy a White Poppy? Anybody been personally affected by the recent War in Iraq, because today i saw many friends from primary school who turned up in their uniform, paying their respects to their friends they lost in Iraq and in Afghanistan. Let me know thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I bought a poppy. I took part in the minute's silence at the Chelsea-Newcastle game (from the comfort of my living room of course). And I say long may it continue!

Hi Dani, been a while!

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what a white poppy is, but I too have been selling red ones

ReputationRep:
    I just like to say Hi and to take this moment to say haha in your face dad (I support Chelsea being born near there and my dad is a Geordie and supports Newcastle)

ReputationRep:
    i have mixed feelings about remembrance sunday... on the one hand its good to show respect for the war dead, on the other it seems like the establishment is using one day of solemnity to make it alright to kill people on all the other days of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    I just like to say Hi and to take this moment to say haha in your face dad (I support Chelsea being born near there and my dad is a Geordie and supports Newcastle)
    Hahaha! And I'd like to say a big haha to my mum's side of the family, as they support Liverpool. # Ryan Giggs Ryan Giggs running down the wing...#

ReputationRep:
    I've got so much respect for the working class people who died in most of those wars, but there are so many bits of the procedure that turn my stomach.

Calling it the Haig Fund? Sick. Like calling a fund to help survivors of the Holocaust the Hitler Fund.

Likewise the memorial service where all government scum who sent them to die turn up and pretend they give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i have mixed feelings about remembrance sunday... on the one hand its good to show respect for the war dead, on the other it seems like the establishment is using one day of solemnity to make it alright to kill people on all the other days of the year.
    I agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Likewise the memorial service where all the scum who sent them to die turn up and pretend they give a damn.

Hang on they were ready to put their lives down for their country, they followed their orders and never questioned it, just because some Guardian reading dumbass says that they didn't agree with it blah blah blah I'm sure we'd hear from the people who joined the army and ditched. I know someone who did...he is now a resident at HRH's Army Prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I agree!
    Needless to say I sincerley doubt that you and Edders come from service families...

ReputationRep:
    Hang on they were ready to put their lives down for their country, they followed their orders and never questioned it, just because some Guardian reading dumbass says that they didn't agree with it blah blah blah I'm sure we'd hear from the people who joined the army and ditched. I know someone who did...he is now a resident at HRH's Army Prison.
    Quite alot of the people who turn up are people who saw their friends die in combat, but of course there are also the people who claim to have done a lot, and just sent people out to die...

ReputationRep:
    Hang on they were ready to put their lives down for their country, they followed their orders and never questioned it
    Er, yes, which is why I said I had an immense amount of respect for them...

It is just the leaders who sent them there needlessly that I hate. (edited to say: i certainly wasn't referring to the ordinary people who go to remembrance services, just the leaders)

just because some Guardian reading dumbass says that they didn't agree with it blah blah blah I'm sure we'd hear from the people who joined the army and ditched. I know someone who did...he is now a resident at HRH's Army Prison.
    Did you actually read my post? If so, WTF has any of this got to do with it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Needless to say I sincerley doubt that you and Edders come from service families...
    so you ask us for our views and then try and make us sound naive, great.

ReputationRep:
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    Good god your sig is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    <gasp> Dani I'm ashamed!

ReputationRep:
    Do you come from a service family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Do you come from a service family?
    no but thats irrelevant to the comments i made.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand what Danithestudent's last comment was about?

You seem to have quite spectacularly missed the point. The criticism isnt of the war dead, just the *******s who sent them to be butchered. You see?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.