Watch
This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Albion)
I'd have thought that was because the people who died in a war such as world war two gave their lives for such an important cause. They didn't just shrug when it became obvious Hitler was intent on gaining lands by force, they decided they were not going to let such an arrogant and power mad fool implement his racist and right wing ideas on other countries. Our grandparents generation were not going to stand for it, they were prepared to fight and die to stop him and sadly in thousands of cases thats what it took but they did stop him.

I don't suppose people are proud that they did actually die, but that they were prepared to die to stop someone like Hitler and his ideas from ruining and destroying so many lives. I feel proud that so many British men and women didn't just turn a blind eye but did indeed fight to stop him.
at last, someone with abit of sense or should i say respect.
im almost ashamed reading the comments here, that question the meaning of such a day.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
at last, someone with abit of sense or should i say respect.
im almost ashamed reading the comments here, that question the meaning of such a day.
I hope you did read through them and not just skimmed through because I don't want to go through the arguments that backup our views again..

Surley you can see why people with anti-war views would oppose such a day
jstringer
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Although we should respect the dead I dont think we should have rememberance day to remember these people because they died at war because the fact is between them they killed tons of ppl and killing another human under any curcumstance is wrong!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
I hope you did read through them and not just skimmed through because I don't want to go through the arguments that backup our views again..

Surley you can see why people with anti-war views would oppose such a day
no, i cant.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jstringer)
Although we should respect the dead I dont think we should have rememberance day to remember these people because they died at war because the fact is between them they killed tons of ppl and killing another human under any curcumstance is wrong!
truly shocking.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
no, i cant.
Then theres no point in me explaining if you determined to be so narrow minded
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Then theres no point in me explaining if you determined to be so narrow minded
so i dont agree and thats "determined to be narrow-minded"?

people in glasshouses....
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so i dont agree and thats "determined to be narrow-minded"?

people in glasshouses....
No what I'm saying is that you fail to acknowledge there is an counter argument to what your saying. You don't have to agree with it.. but its not as if our views are so ridiculous that you can just dismiss them.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
No what I'm saying is that you fail to acknowledge there is an counter argument to what your saying. You don't have to agree with it.. but its not as if our views are so ridiculous that you can just dismiss them.
i said i cant understand your viewpoint,but i didnt dismiss them as ridiculous or say you couldnt have them. whats the problem?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
truly shocking.
I agree

Remeberence day isn't about remembering how righteous wars have been - it's about remember all the suffering and pain has been caused by war - regardless of how justified the war was and whether you agree with the reasons behind it.

I think the reasons for the Iraq war were dubious but that doesn't mean I don't sympathise for all the wounded and relatives of those who've died - British, American and Iraqi. War causes grief to all those involved.

Rememberance day isn't a conscience easer for the government - it's about the people of this country recognising the motives behind it's army, navy and airforce personnel and respecting those who have died and suffered in the name of others. It's about the public respecting that at any time we might be asking our armed forces to lay their lives on the line in our defence and showing respect and gratitude to the people willing to do that.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I agree

Remeberence day isn't about remembering how righteous wars have been - it's about remember all the suffering and pain has been caused by war - regardless of how justified the war was and whether you agree with the reasons behind it.

I think the reasons for the Iraq war were dubious but that doesn't mean I don't sympathise for all the wounded and relatives of those who've died - British, American and Iraqi. War causes grief to all those involved.

Rememberance day isn't a conscience easer for the government - it's about the people of this country recognising the motives behind it's army, navy and airforce personnel and respecting those who have died and suffered in the name of others. It's about the public respecting that at any time we might be asking our armed forces to lay their lives on the line in our defence and showing respect and gratitude to the people willing to do that.
exactly. im just surprised that this is not the view held by the majority.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Although I don't go to church at all on Remeberance Sunday, I always buy a poppy (although I haven't this year - I've not been anywhere recently where I've seen people selling them). I also always make sure I observe my 2 minute silence at 11am on the eleventh, I think its disrespectful not to, no matter where you are, not to give up 2 minutes just to think about those who were called up for service and died for their (and your) country.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by edders)
i have mixed feelings about remembrance sunday... on the one hand its good to show respect for the war dead, on the other it seems like the establishment is using one day of solemnity to make it alright to kill people on all the other days of the year.
!?! I always thought of it in terms of the past has happened, and that can't be changed, and that remembrance day is as much about remembering the lessons learned from the whole tragic affairs as it is remembering the sheer volume of individuals sent to their deaths.
Americans would be wise to follow suit and have something very loud and auspicious (in true yanks style) to remember all those killed in the world wars, Korean wars, Vietnam...and soon to be the war for Iraq. Maybe then they'd think twice before commiting soldiers to an act which there's no backing out of

J
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Incidently I had trouble finding a poppy this year - they weren't available in the uni or in the student union...not a good sign.

Ended up buying one on Sat morning from someone stood outside B&Q (pretty random but I suppose more people visit B&Q on a saturday than almost anywhere else)

My other half refuses to buy one because he doesn't agree with charity of any sort (mainly because he's a tight bugger and likes to justify himself). And I have to say I sympathise with him in some ways - especially when there are people incredibly remotely connected to the services who recieve state of the art wheelchairs when he has to fork out £2k from his own pocket every few yrs (this is the RAF charity fund rather than the poppy fund - and I don't resent service people and their immediate families benefitting from this money...but it seems like the criteria for benefitting are becoming more and more arbitrary)
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jstringer)
Is it better to be a slave to a fellow human being (as would have happened if invasions were allowed to occur) or is it better to make a stand and do something you find totally abhorrent - just to protect your freedoms.
You have to recall that the real *******s of the world wars never did die in battle. It was the aristocracy in world war I, and the politicans in world war II.
J
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Is it better to be a slave to a fellow human being (as would have happened if invasions were allowed to occur) or is it better to make a stand and do something you find totally abhorrent - just to protect your freedoms.
thats hardly a fair analogy of national defence and military conscription.

You have to recall that the real *******s of the world wars never did die in battle. It was the aristocracy in world war I, and the politicans in world war II.
J
pkonline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I agree

Totally agree!

Remembrance isn't also just about armed forces though. Everyone in Britain and the Commonwealth was deeply affected in the World Wars. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be under those conditions.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
truly shocking.
are you going to provide an argument for your view or just hide behind mock disbelief at any view that in any way denies the status quo?

no one said the dead shouldn't be respected, only that that respect shouldn't also be caught up in respect for the rulers who sent them there and implied disregard for any of the poor conscripted buggers on the other side.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
are you going to provide an argument for your view or just hide behind mock disbelief at any view that in any way denies the status quo?

no one said the dead shouldn't be respected, only that that respect shouldn't also be caught up in respect for the rulers who sent them there and implied disregard for any of the poor conscripted buggers on the other side.

"I dont think we should have rememberance day to remember these people because they died at war "
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)

Umm - actually the quote that was responding to was implying that war dead should not be honoured or respected because the people who die in war are murderers themselves.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (503)
51.17%
No (480)
48.83%

Watched Threads