Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Umm - actually the quote that was responding to was implying that war dead should not be honoured or respected because the people who die in war are murderers themselves.
    the topic matters little, they(the few) just want an excuse to have a pop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    the topic matters little, they(the few) just want an excuse to have a pop.
    Oh, of course it doesn't matter!

Hundreds of million die in mostly needless wars and anyone that says anything against the people responsible for their deaths is just having a pop.

Yeah. :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Oh, of course it doesn't matter!

Hundreds of million die in mostly needless wars and anyone that says anything against the people responsible for their deaths is just having a pop.

Yeah. :rolleyes:
    The point is that speaking out against the needlessness of their deaths is inappropriate on the day of rememberance - it's like starting a fight at a funeral, it doesn't matter that the fight isn't about the dead it's still disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    The point is that speaking out against the needlessness of their deaths is inappropriate on the day of rememberance - it's like starting a fight at a funeral
    If the person who murdered me was orchestrating my funeral I'd damn well want someone to come and start a fight with him/her.

TBF I only gave my view when specifically asked.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If the person who murdered me was orchestrating my funeral I'd damn well want someone to come and start a fight with him/her.

TBF I only gave my view when specifically asked.
    The Royal British Legion caused the wars?

ReputationRep:
    The Royal British Legion caused the wars?
    No...but the head of state and other govt members traditionally play quite a large role.

Calling it the Haig Fund doesn't help either.

ReputationRep:
    No...but the head of state and other govt members traditionally play quite a large role.

you are accusing heads of state and governments of murder. that is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    I feel very sorry for those who died. Whether you agree with wars or not, those who serve in them should do so knowing that the public are behind them and that their loss won't be in vain. Soldiers don't make decisions - its the politicians who should be brought to account.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

The head of state and govt members have *nothing* to do with rememberence sunday apart from observing it...they don't play a large role they simply turn up to a service lay a wreath and occassionally make a speech.

The poppy fund (which was set up by Haig but is no longer referred to as the Haig Fund (apart from by the Scottish branch of the british legion)) is the sole beneficiary of rememberance sunday and armistice day events (and organiser of national events).

Just because the royals and the government pay their respects like everyone else shouldn't make any difference when it comes to donating to the british legion and remembering and honouring the dead and grieving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    I feel very sorry for those who died. Whether you agree with wars or not, those who serve in them should do so knowing that the public are behind them and that their loss won't be in vain. Soldiers don't make decisions - its the politicians who should be brought to account.
    are you, and others, seriously saying that politicians are murderers for taking a decision to go to war in which other people will fight?

ReputationRep:
    are you, and others, seriously saying that politicians are murderers for taking a decision to go to war in which other people will fight?
    No. I'm saying the responsibility rests with politicians. What do you think; who's resposible for our forces? Is it the PM, MoD...?

ReputationRep:
    Y remember some old dead guys???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    As you all must know, bar those living in a box today was Rememberance Sunday. I took part by selling Poppies yesterday in my town (The only person under 45 to do so) and laying the wreath from the Red Cross this morning at the service at our town's war memorial.
    I was just wondering what your views are on this occasion? Did you buy a Poppy? Or did you buy a White Poppy? Anybody been personally affected by the recent War in Iraq, because today i saw many friends from primary school who turned up in their uniform, paying their respects to their friends they lost in Iraq and in Afghanistan. Let me know thanks!
    i bougth a poppy nd then slienced myself for 2 mins which was hard as i am a chatterbox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    No. I'm saying the responsibility rests with politicians. What do you think; who's resposible for our forces? Is it the PM, MoD...?
    of course they are responsible, but why should they not be at Remembrance Sunday and allowed to pay their respects? held accountable for what?

ReputationRep:
    of course they are responsible, but why should they not be at Remembrance Sunday and allowed to pay their respects? held accountable for what?
    When did I ever say that?! IMO those who make the decisions have a duty to pay their respects! Those who are responsible for decision making should be held to account if things go wrong. Pretty obvious IMO!

you are accusing heads of state and governments of murder. that is not the case.
    a spectacularly controversial statement.

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to back up that apparent statement of fact with, well, anything?

Those who deliberately kill are murderers.

ReputationRep:
    why should they not be at Remembrance Sunday and allowed to pay their respects?
    Because it is utterly sickening and hypocritical. Any "respect" they pay is either totally false or else just plain depraved.

ReputationRep:
    My views on rememberance Sunday... I give the utmost respect to those who gave their lives desoite th odds. My Great Grandad had served from 1914-1918 fighting in the Ypres salient. With him being wounded and eventually dying of these wounds in the late 80s, what he did I cannot forget as with all the other men and women who have served in any conflicts. Despite a war's legitmacy being questioned, when remembering those who died, we msut forget the bigger pciture and be thankful for their sacrifice regardless..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    My views on rememberance Sunday... I give the utmost respect to those who gave their lives desoite th odds. My Great Grandad had served from 1914-1918 fighting in the Ypres salient. With him being wounded and eventually dying of these wounds in the late 80s, what he did I cannot forget as with all the other men and women who have served in any conflicts. Despite a war's legitmacy being questioned, when remembering those who died, we msut forget the bigger pciture and be thankful for their sacrifice regardless..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.