Rememberance Sunday-Your Views

Watch
This discussion is closed.
TK0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
hmm i dont like the poppies themselves. war is bad, but its appalling that people who gave lives during wars should need 2 rely on charity to live.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
the very suggestion of a white poppy is sick..you are questioning the sacrifice soldiers have made when as I suggeted the bigger picture must be forgotten...
and pointless wars and suffering will continue as long as the bigger picture is forgotten.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
As you all must know, bar those living in a box today was Rememberance Sunday. I took part by selling Poppies yesterday in my town (The only person under 45 to do so) and laying the wreath from the Red Cross this morning at the service at our town's war memorial.
I was just wondering what your views are on this occasion? Did you buy a Poppy? Or did you buy a White Poppy? Anybody been personally affected by the recent War in Iraq, because today i saw many friends from primary school who turned up in their uniform, paying their respects to their friends they lost in Iraq and in Afghanistan. Let me know thanks!
Yes but you only volunteered to sell them cos it looks good on you CV.
Blamps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
hmm i dont like the poppies themselves. war is bad, but its appalling that people who gave lives during wars should need 2 rely on charity to live.
fact: 25% of those homeless in London were in the services
Shut your mouth
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Needless to say I sincerley doubt that you and Edders come from service families...
Actually my father fought in the Falklands and in Iraq Desert Storm 1 and my great grandfather fought in WW2 so yes I do come from a history of service family so shut your mouth please. I bet you don't come from a servce family.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
and pointless wars and suffering will continue as long as the bigger picture is forgotten.
However, although the bigger picture must be regarded, I am afraid that no one will change my opnion that rememberance and hopes for peace should be separate...these is no convergence of the two
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
However, although the bigger picture must be regarded, I am afraid that no one will change my opnion that rememberance and hopes for peace should be separate...these is no convergence of the two
That is the words of a true coward. If it was for people like you this country would be ruled by Germans and Iraqis. Thank god not everyone is so cowardly. And yes I do think in many circumstances cowards should be shot.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
If it was for people like you this country would be ruled by Iraqis.
hahahahahahahaha! oh god that's classic. absolutely classic. :eek: :eek:

And yes I do think in many circumstances cowards should be shot.
Ah well, you sound like just the kind of person who I'd take pleasure in seeing shot.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Because it is utterly sickening and hypocritical. Any "respect" they pay is either totally false or else just plain depraved.
Hey I love the sig!!
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How is that cowardly...I would give me life for my country...I am just saying that when people are remembered for giving their lives, politics should not influence this in any way. For example, I think the archbishop of Canterbury was being too politically correct in the rememberance service i.e he was questioning the legitimacy of the war and the actions of the troops. My argument is that they should be remembered regardless as they were doing their jobs for their country...it is true that many troops forget about the bigger picture on the battle field
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Shut your mouth)
Actually my father fought in the Falklands and in Iraq Desert Storm 1 and my great grandfather fought in WW2 so yes I do come from a history of service family so shut your mouth please. I bet you don't come from a servce family.
she does actually
Blamps
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
That is the words of a true coward. If it was for people like you this country would be ruled by Germans and Iraqis. Thank god not everyone is so cowardly. And yes I do think in many circumstances cowards should be shot.
So when people were retreating in wwI under impossible odds, you believe that they should have been shot? I.E when everybody else was dead?

BTW, has anybody read that book all quiet on the Western Front?
ARGH
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 666dave666)
Y remember some old dead guys???
how dare you say that, if it wozn't for "some old dead guys" you probably wouldnt have be around. they paid the ultimate price so that future generation e.i you and me could lead free lives, it takes to mintute of ur life to stop remember and repect these people. i woz in a parade on sunday (im a army cadet) i looked up at that monument and i said ***** thank you which you should do pay some bloody respect
Won't appreciat
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ARGH)
how dare you say that, if it wozn't for "some old dead guys" you probably wouldnt have be around. they paid the ultimate price so that future generation e.i you and me could lead free lives, it takes to mintute of ur life to stop remember and repect these people. i woz in a parade on sunday (im a army cadet) i looked up at that monument and i said ****** thank you which you should do pay some bloody respect
I don't think the dead veterans would appreciate the foul language though to be honest. They would be glad that you said Thank you but I don't think they would appreciate ******* thank you to be honest. If they were looking down on you from heaven like at the time.
Poppy Day
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think the men should be remembered on poppy day for being brave etc. But only the men to be honest. I'm sorry to say it, but I hate it when people say 'The brave men and women that fought' because it isn't true. No women died and no women fought in the wars. They were back on the homefront baking cakes and ploughing farms (not exactly brave or life-threatening is it). The women shouldn't be remembered, but yes the brave men that fought definitly should be remembered.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Poppy Day)
I think the men should be remembered on poppy day for being brave etc. But only the men to be honest. I'm sorry to say it, but I hate it when people say 'The brave men and women that fought' because it isn't true. No women died and no women fought in the wars. They were back on the homefront baking cakes and ploughing farms (not exactly brave or life-threatening is it). The women shouldn't be remembered, but yes the brave men that fought definitly should be remembered.
There are plenty of wars (including the Iraq wars) where women have died. If not in battle they died in bombings etc. If you genuinley believe that then you must be pretty dumb or sad if you just wrote it to provoke a reaction.
Albion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Poppy Day)
Oh jesus christ you sound like someone from about 200 years ago, ok most women didnt go off to the front line to fight but many got bombed out of their homes for gods sake and they worked in factories in awful conditions. The war was tough on everyone and they all deserve respect, especially on rememberance day so stop saying absolutely stupid comments like that and have some common sense for gods sake. No women died during the wars? I can guarantee women would have been killed by German bombing raids over England and many were made infertile and got horrible diseases from the factories in which they worked to support the men who were fighting.

Just learn the facts because it is clear you don't know what you're talking about, your post is completely sexist.
Poppy day
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Albion)
Oh jesus christ you sound like someone from about 200 years ago, ok most women didnt go off to the front line to fight but many got bombed out of their homes for gods sake and they worked in factories in awful conditions. The war was tough on everyone and they all deserve respect, especially on rememberance day so stop saying absolutely stupid comments like that and have some common sense for gods sake. No women died during the wars? I can guarantee women would have been killed by German bombing raids over England and many were made infertile and got horrible diseases from the factories in which they worked to support the men who were fighting.

Just learn the facts because it is clear you don't know what you're talking about, your post is completely sexist.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. Go on read it again because your reading skills must be poor quality. I said 'Women didn't die and fight in BATTLE' and it is true they didn't. Even in Iraq women didn't fight in battle, their roles in the armed forces are usually auxillary type things (most dangerous would be driving a truck of supllies for example). In WW1 and 2 their roles were even more limited. They worked in factories yes but they didn't fight and die in battles. It would have been similar for them in peacetime, they didn't have to be courageous and fight. My point may be a little controversial and might be percieved as sexist, but I am not and don't intend it to be. This is the truth. The brave MEN should be remembered, they are the ones that fought and died not women. It is true there is no escaping it. I just don't think it is fair that women get credit when they didn't really do anything apart from work in factorys, plough farms, bake cakes (sleep with American GI's when their husbands were at war too remember alot of them did this!) etc on the home-front.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Poppy day)
I don't think you understood what I wrote. Go on read it again because your reading skills must be poor quality. I said 'Women didn't die and fight in BATTLE' and it is true they didn't. Even in Iraq women didn't fight in battle, their roles in the armed forces are usually auxillary type things (most dangerous would be driving a truck of supllies for example). In WW1 and 2 their roles were even more limited. They worked in factories yes but they didn't fight and die in battles. It would have been similar for them in peacetime, they didn't have to be courageous and fight. My point may be a little controversial and might be percieved as sexist, but I am not and don't intend it to be. This is the truth. The brave MEN should be remembered, they are the ones that fought and died not women. It is true there is no escaping it. I just don't think it is fair that women get credit when they didn't really do anything apart from work in factorys, plough farms, bake cakes (sleep with American GI's when their husbands were at war too remember alot of them did this!) etc on the home-front.
Maybe you don't know how dumb you sound..
Poppy Day
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Maybe you don't know how dumb you sound..
Well the truth always hurts. There is nothing I have written that can argued as untruthful.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%