Watch
This discussion is closed.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Poppy Day)
Well the truth always hurts. There is nothing I have written that can argued as untruthful.
No, but it can be argued that you have no discernible point.

We should honour the "brave man and women who fought and died" - and yes women have played dangerous (if thatis what you value) roles - as spies for one.

Yes, women have not had such life threatening roles as men in war generally (although only because of the rules set down by men..), but this is accounted for in the statement. It says we should honour those who fought and died, and therefore the greater respect is already implicit in the statement.
Albion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Poppy day)
I don't think you understood what I wrote. Go on read it again because your reading skills must be poor quality. I said 'Women didn't die and fight in BATTLE' and it is true they didn't. Even in Iraq women didn't fight in battle, their roles in the armed forces are usually auxillary type things (most dangerous would be driving a truck of supllies for example). In WW1 and 2 their roles were even more limited. They worked in factories yes but they didn't fight and die in battles. It would have been similar for them in peacetime, they didn't have to be courageous and fight. My point may be a little controversial and might be percieved as sexist, but I am not and don't intend it to be. This is the truth. The brave MEN should be remembered, they are the ones that fought and died not women. It is true there is no escaping it. I just don't think it is fair that women get credit when they didn't really do anything apart from work in factorys, plough farms, bake cakes (sleep with American GI's when their husbands were at war too remember alot of them did this!) etc on the home-front.
No I do understand what you wrote, you seem to think that because women weren't fighting on the frontline we shouldn't respect any female effort in the war or remember any females who died.

"I just don't think it is fair that women get credit when they didn't really do anything apart from work in factorys, plough farms, bake cakes (sleep with American GI's when their husbands were at war too remember alot of them did this!) etc on the home-front"

Whats your problem man? It seems you personally have something against women and do not want their efforts to be remembered and respected.

Grow up.
A Grade Student
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Albion)
No I do understand what you wrote, you seem to think that because women weren't fighting on the frontline we shouldn't respect any female effort in the war or remember any females who died.

"I just don't think it is fair that women get credit when they didn't really do anything apart from work in factorys, plough farms, bake cakes (sleep with American GI's when their husbands were at war too remember alot of them did this!) etc on the home-front"

Whats your problem man? It seems you personally have something against women and do not want their efforts to be remembered and respected.

Grow up.

If you call the baby-boom in illegitimate children during WW2 an effort then God help you! Oh it is really an effort having affairs with US marines while their husbands are away, an effort in being a 'slapper' I suppose. I think the person 'Poppy Day' who said women shouldn't be remembered is absolutely right really. Do you know anything about history? Loads of women slepped with US marines and had fun while their husbands were away dying on the front. No I agree with Poppy Day, it is the most honest comment/argument I have read so far on this thread.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by A Grade Student)
If you call the baby-boom in illegitimate children during WW2 an effort then God help you! Oh it is really an effort having affairs with US marines while their husbands are away, an effort in being a 'slapper' I suppose. I think the person 'Poppy Day' who said women shouldn't be remembered is absolutely right really. Do you know anything about history? Loads of women slepped with US marines and had fun while their husbands were away dying on the front. No I agree with Poppy Day, it is the most honest comment/argument I have read so far on this thread.
Right. So women played away during the war more than men did? Can you back that up? All the British (not to mention American) men were totally loyal whilist away? Or is female infidelity just worse, according to you? :rolleyes:
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Because it is utterly sickening and hypocritical. Any "respect" they pay is either totally false or else just plain depraved.
why?
lala
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well the truth always hurts. There is nothing I have written that can argued as untruthful.
Yes there is, though I imagine it comes from ignorance rather than a desire to lie wilfully. Either way, what you've written is incorrect.
You'd have to be pretty badly informed not to be aware of the fact that women fought at the front during WW2, especially on the Eastern Front. Lily Litvak, the Soviet air ace is a well known example of a woman in combat, and she outshone all the men in her unit too, eventually being shot down, having made the ultimate sacrifice in fact. A brave WOMAN who gave her life. If you're going to come on here and pick fights I'm afraid you'll have to do a bit better then that.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Yes there is, though I imagine it comes from ignorance rather than a desire to lie wilfully. Either way, what you've written is incorrect.
You'd have to be pretty badly informed not to be aware of the fact that women fought at the front during WW2, especially on the Eastern Front. Lily Litvak, the Soviet air ace is a well known example of a woman in combat, and she outshone all the men in her unit too, eventually being shot down, having made the ultimate sacrifice in fact. A brave WOMAN who gave her life. If you're going to come on here and pick fights I'm afraid you'll have to do a bit better then that.
i cant believe we(or you) are replying honestly to this moron.
lala
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
i cant believe we(or you) are replying honestly to this moron.
He's a d**k, for sure, but I do think its important to try and combat complete and total ignorance if you have the chance- I don't mean in cases like the political where you'd expect to find varying shades of opinion, but in examples where there's clearly a right answer and a wrong one. He's got the wrong one. There's evidently some gaping holes in this one's knowledge. Teach the children, you know?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lala)
He's a d**k, for sure, but I do think its important to try and combat complete and total ignorance if you have the chance- I don't mean in cases like the political where you'd expect to find varying shades of opinion, but in cases like this where there's clearly a right answer and a wrong one. He's got the wrong one. There's clearly some gaping holes in this one's knowledge. Teach the children, you know?
go for it, i, needless to say, support you.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
why?
Because they killed them.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
as horrible as hitler was that salute he does makes me laugh
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
a spectacularly controversial statement.
one that was nonetheless proven by the next post.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
one that was nonetheless proven by the next post.
No one can be bothered finding the "next post" to which you refer, could you copy it for us?
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
No one can be bothered finding the "next post" to which you refer, could you copy it for us?
im one who cant be bothered
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)

Would you like to back up that apparent statement of fact with, well, anything?

Those who deliberately kill are murderers.

LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Would you like to back up that apparent statement of fact with, well, anything?

Those who deliberately kill are murderers.

well that i didnt no :rolleyes:
ARGH
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think the men should be remembered on poppy day for being brave etc. But only the men to be honest. I'm sorry to say it, but I hate it when people say 'The brave men and women that fought' because it isn't true. No women died and no women fought in the wars. They were back on the homefront baking cakes and ploughing farms (not exactly brave or life-threatening is it). The women shouldn't be remembered, but yes the brave men that fought definitly should be remembered.
acually women played a big part in running the country while the men were fighting and many died making ammunition for the men to use. if it woznt for the men AND the women we would have lost

do ppl sit in history with their ears shut or do u just lack common sense?
Albion
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ARGH)
acually women played a big part in running the country while the men were fighting and many died making ammunition for the men to use. if it woznt for the men AND the women we would have lost

do ppl sit in history with their ears shut or do u just lack common sense?
I think in this case it was both a lack of common sense and the facts falling on deaf ears in history lessons that resulted in this fool posting their views, if they were actually being serious at all.
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I wore my poppy and had 2 mins silence at college.

After visiting the WW1 battlefields twice, on a yr9 history trip and then AS English it really hit home to me the sheer number of casualties in what surely was a bloody war. So many wasted lives as world peace was not achieved, and walking through rows and rows of graves staring at names and ages of soldiers, often no older than many of us are now, really makes you think. Both trips to Ypres and The Somme were really emotional for everybody who went, and I'm glad I've been because it puts into perspective how lucky we are now, and what a tragic war it was.
Weasel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I respect and pay tribute to the brave working class people who died and fought in the world wars. But I can only hold contempt for the middle and upper classes that sent them to their brutal deaths at such young ages in these particular wars.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%