The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Reply 2
Lorien
I wanted to know how other members here found farm work placements? Because I need to get some work experience but I don't know any farmers and I'm distance and can't get help from a college.

And if you can't drive how did you overcome the travel problem of getting there? Is it easy to find other methods of transport to farm placements? :confused:

http://www.yell.com/ucs/HomePageAction.do

Just type in farm, and put where you live and email/phone every farm that comes up!!!
Reply 3
Lorien
I wanted to know how other members here found farm work placements? Because I need to get some work experience but I don't know any farmers and I'm distance and can't get help from a college.

And if you can't drive how did you overcome the travel problem of getting there? Is it easy to find other methods of transport to farm placements? :confused:

:smile: :rolleyes: Sounds geeky, but I found reading Farmer's Weekly really useful.I found a really interesting organic farm in Somerset that had won many awards for both beef and dairy produce. I just rang them up and explained and they were really friendly. One piece of advice if you don't know them only book a placement for a few days. One vet told me she did her EMS (Extra Mural Studies) whilst on the vet course at a strange pig farm-animal welfare was bad and people weird. Good Luck finding placements!
Also try public farms- National Trust etc and ask at riding schools- they often know farmers.
To help with transport you can apply to an organisation called Millennium Volunteers who can help arrange placements and pay for travel costs. Although I don't know about whether its only for 16-18s.
Hope that is some help.

Offers :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Cambridge AAA :eek:
Bristol AAA
RVC AAA
Liverpool AAB
The easiest way has been to ask your local vets practice for a few contacts and they will hopefully recommend the best for you. I ended up on a very large dairy farm and was left for great lengths of time to milk 16 at a time cows! The only trouble is I have found I have had to walk 6 miles to get to a farm and then you are tired before you get there.

Latest