How do you know if you're good enough... Watch

This discussion is closed.
NeuroticSurgeon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
How do you know if you're good enough to get into Oxbridge? I'd love to study law at Oxford or philosophy at Cambridge, but what kind of personal statement would you need for an institution like that? Obviously you'd need at least AAB grades at A-Level. Does anyone have an example of an old UCAS personal statement? I'm already freaking out about universities (I'm doing AS at the moment - I have to apply next year) so I was just wondering whether if I got 3 As (English Literature, RS Philosophy and Ethics, History) I'd be able to get into Oxbridge. And also, are my A-Level choices too narrow for consideration?
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
I'd love to study law at Oxford or philosophy at Cambridge
Strange. Why Law at Oxford or Philosophy at Cambridge?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
How do you know if you're good enough to get into Oxbridge? I'd love to study law at Oxford or philosophy at Cambridge, but what kind of personal statement would you need for an institution like that? Obviously you'd need at least AAB grades at A-Level. Does anyone have an example of an old UCAS personal statement? I'm already freaking out about universities (I'm doing AS at the moment - I have to apply next year) so I was just wondering whether if I got 3 As (English Literature, RS Philosophy and Ethics, History) I'd be able to get into Oxbridge. And also, are my A-Level choices too narrow for consideration?
For Law, they look great! Ive applied to Cambridge for Law this year, and although Im predicted AAAA, I don't think Ill get it, nor do I think Ill deserve it - i never work lol
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you know by applying and seeing if they offer you a place, duh. the admissions tutors are the only ones that can tell you.
Unregister
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by edders)
you know by applying and seeing if they offer you a place, duh. the admissions tutors are the only ones that can tell you.
well duh.
NeuroticSurgeon
Rep:
?
Wow - fast response .

Law at Oxford because it is *supposedly* better than Cambridge in that field. Philosophy at Cambridge because that also is *supposedly* the best in that field. Though to be honest, it really doesn't bother me, I'm just looking into the universities, and I'm not all that well informed at the moment.

I'm aware that only the admissions tutors can tell me that, but what kind of things would be absolutely essential in a Personal Statement?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think the personal statement is as important as you seem to think, and at Oxbridge there will always be an interview to test your enthusiasm, wider knowledge, etc.
*-mjg-*
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
if you are brave enough to apply then u are good enough to get in. i thought about ox4d but the ppl might be a bit too stiff and LSE is pretty good.
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Philosophy at Cambridge because that also is *supposedly* the best in that field.
Nooooo!

Philosophy is a much bigger thing at Oxford.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *-mjg-*)
if you are brave enough to apply then u are good enough to get in. i thought about ox4d but the ppl might be a bit too stiff and LSE is pretty good.
not you again
m.j.g.
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
not you again
i am trying to encourage sum1 so i dont need any snide comments.
NeuroticSurgeon
Rep:
?
Philosophy a bigger thing at Oxford? Oh god I'm getting confused now. Too much to learn about different unis in too short a time....

I did think about LSE, but I don't want to live at home, and living in London is too expensive. So I'm not too keen on applying for either UCL or LSE.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wow - fast response .

Law at Oxford because it is *supposedly* better than Cambridge in that field. Philosophy at Cambridge because that also is *supposedly* the best in that field. Though to be honest, it really doesn't bother me, I'm just looking into the universities, and I'm not all that well informed at the moment.

I'm aware that only the admissions tutors can tell me that, but what kind of things would be absolutely essential in a Personal Statement?
Erm, no. I may be slightly biased, obviously, but Oxford has the largest philosophy department in the country and one of the largest in the world, and it is now more respected internationally than Cambridge. Although Cambridge had a strong analytic tradition in the 20th century, it is pretty much regarded as being in decline now, although its still a great place to study philosophy. Some of the best names in the world are now at Oxford and both research and teaching are second to none. Also, the various philosophy courses are extrememly well-structured and well-balanced so that various different areas of philosophy are drawn upon in the different combinations. Don't let the fact that you can't do single honours put you off; there is a reason for that, and i believe that philosophy is so broad that it works best at undergraduate level when it is combined with one or more additional subjects in order to draw upon different areas.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Greetings,

No need to freak out. Just concentrate on your A levels. Abolsutely nobody can tell you whether or not you will get into Oxbridge. I can think of sooo many cases where exceptional students were rejected, and average types were accepted.There are just too many variables, one couldn't therefore speculate. It's probably best to just work hard, attempt to acquire a balanced education, and think about it when the time comes. IF you are dead keen, try and research which deptartments/courses youd like to study for. If you thoroughly research the areas, it will avoid you making a decision based on hearsay (surprisingly common). Of course you should also be looking at 5 other universities, many of which will have very similar entry requirements to Oxbridge.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise