This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi, I am from Belgium. I wish to apply for Master in Finance and Economics in LSE. My GPA is about 3.6 but I will still have to take GMAT. I know the competition is intense, but I would still give it a try. Does anyone have any tips for applying to LSE??? I am also applying to City University, Warwick U, and Imperial College...

Thanks a lot,
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi, I am from Belgium. I wish to apply for Master in Finance and Economics in LSE. My GPA is about 3.6 but I will still have to take GMAT. I know the competition is intense, but I would still give it a try. Does anyone have any tips for applying to LSE??? I am also applying to City University, Warwick U, and Imperial College...

Thanks a lot,
I was a postgrad. at LSE. You're right, it's fairly intense competition. With a GPA of 3.6, you'll need to do VERY well on the GMAT. We had people that clocked into the 700's. Although, of course it will matter as to which institution you've obtained your GPA from. Generally, the requirement is 3.7 plus minimum, and ideally 3.85, which is the equivalent to first class honours in the UK.

Work experience, and essentially what you've been doing in your spare time could play a part, but, in all honesty you will need to work your ass off for the GMAT. Incidentally, the Warwick course is excellent. The Imperial Finance degree (I assume that's the course you're referring to) is reasonably good, although it's in its formative years.

J.S.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

Thanks a lot,
Oh and I wouldn't go to City, unless I had no alternative...it's not a bad business school, but....welll, basically, it's just that the business school is a business venture itself. The idea is to to invest a lot of money into the buildings and the promotional activities, and then charge people (who will do absolutely anything to stay in London for a year) a hell of a lot of money. According to a friend that studied banking there, welllll...he suggests that some of the international students are close to illiterate. The courses are nowhere near as intellectually demanding as Econ/Finance at Warwick/LSE. Imperial too (for business) is just...welll, it's not really all that good to be blunt, it may get better though, of course.
Dezert_Falcon
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
After having read few of your responses, I thought of asking you questions regarding LSE.

I am thinking of Msc in Finance and Economics in future. As a result of which, I have to worry about maintaining extremely high GPA and GRE/GMAT.

Presently, I am in my final year of BA in Economics at the University of Toronto. I have a GPA of 3.9 right now and expect to graduate with the same, though it will be much harder than before due to the fact that I am taking all the advance Economics courses:

Econometrics, Advance Micro/Macro, 3 courses of Financial Economics, Financial Risk management, Int Finance, Money Banking & Fin Markets after having done Intermediate Micro, Macro, and Quantitative Economics.

One of my questions was answered, in a phone call to LSE, regarding acceptance of 3 year BA/Bsc from Canada. At U of T we are in the last batch of students who are allowed to complete a 3 year BA/Bsc. According to the admission office I am perfectly fine with a 3 year BA in Economics and there is no discrimination involved in the process based on the fact that someone has a 3 year BA/Bsc or 4 year BA/Bsc.

My unanswered question was regarding GPA. The website of LSE mentions a minimum GPA of 3.5 for US applicants, whereas it says a good honours degree from Canada without mentioning any specific GPA. The response from admission office was something like “we compare you with other applicants with similar profile", which left me in a confused state.

Now, you have mentioned that a GPA of 3.7 is in the safe range, whereas 3.85 is equivalent to first class honours in UK (something considered ideal). I understand that I shouldn’t be worried about GPA in case I am able to maintain 3.9, but, what if I drop and how much can I drop and still stay within a safe range. I am asking from a Canadian perspective.

One of my friends told me about a student who was given a conditional offer from LSE Fin/Eco, where he had to maintain a GPA of 3.3 and higher on graduation. He completed his undergrad from U of T. In case you don’t know, U of T is the highest ranked University in Canada with one of the toughest grading system alongside Waterloo, though people outside Canada know more about McGill.

Now with all this in my head, I really don’t have any clue regarding Cut off GPA for a Canadian Student targeting Msc Fin/Eco at LSE. Also, grading system is different and harsher compared to USA, even though it is based on the same scale of 4.0. What I have concluded after a bit of estimation is that 3.3-3.5 is considered a B+ average, 3.5-3.85 can be safely considered A- average, and anything >3.85 is an A average. I am basing it on the fact that B+ is 3.3, A- is 3.7, and A or A+ is 4.0 for each course. I don’t think there is anything like A+ average since you can have a 4.0 with all As and no A+ and in case of US schools you can have a 4.0 with couple of B+ or A- due to the fact they award 4.3 for an A+. U of T doesn’t give you any extra credit for an A+, it is the same 4.0.

Also, how would you compare the 1:1 or 2:1 grading system to the one used in North America. I really want to know where I would stand compared to British Undergrads. Moreover, what is considered a first class honours or upper second class or whatever in UK. I would be grateful if you can define these apparently vague terms to me.

Last of all, what other factors do they look for in the application? I can think of few things right now such as reputation/academic rigor of the institution, essays, recommendations, work experience, and extra curricular activities. Furthermore, do they look for a portfolio of GPA/GRE where you can have an extremely high GPA and low GRE/GMAT or an extremely high GRE/GMAT and an average GPA like 3.5?

I would appreciate any extra advice you have for my profile

Thank You very much for your precious time
yoshi
Report 16 years ago
Hi there,,,,U of T!!! I am at the UofT too.........god damn UofT designed its gpa system to fck ppl ...trying to bluff ....I just finished my first yr..my gpa is fcked already --3.86...god damn! How can I go to LSE's MSc in Acctg anf Fin. anymore.......lucky that I am in coop,,experience always helps
goldenboy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
who ever said city is not worth going is a ****!

cass business school wud give u hands on experience, and better job prosepcts, guranteed. the others are just only good f0r academic careers.
Len
Report 16 years ago
Regarding the Gmat...

I am starting my MSc in accounting and finance at LSe in OCt. For your chosen dgree they prefer GRE but accept GMat. For acc and Fin they only want Gmat, which is what I did. I disagree with the fact that you 'need to work your ass off.' It is like an IQ test there is not actually that much you can do. I reccomend buying one study guide and doing about 6 past papers.

I do think it is probably the most important aspect of a postgrad application as it is impossible to compare students with degrees from all over the world with different marking scales. I think my Gmat is what got me in, I got 710 and spent two weeks preparing which was more than enough.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.07%
Virtual campus tours/open days (148)
24.46%
Live streaming events (51)
8.43%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.09%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.31%
An in-person event when available (137)
22.64%