Turn on thread page Beta

I'm applying from the US and the University of Central Lancashire seems to offer everything I want in the way of majors. However, I found out its a former Polytech institute (I was warned to be wary of schools that were as sometimes they weren't as good in other areas) and my contact in England had never even heard of the school.

Any opinions on it? I really am going at this blind so I could use suggestions.

Former polys aren't always that bad.

For "newer" degrees such as Business Studies and Economics they can be better than the more traditional universities because they have been teaching these for longer.

I personally have not heard of the institution which is odd since the University of Lancaster was actually my second choice.

Good luck in your searching.

(Original post by WillG)
    Former polys aren't always that bad.

For "newer" degrees such as Business Studies and Economics they can be better than the more traditional universities because they have been teaching these for longer.

I personally have not heard of the institution which is odd since the University of Lancaster was actually my second choice.

Good luck in your searching.

Funny how people slate a uni before even going to it.

I've applied to study at UCLAN for sept 2004 and was really impressed with the facilities and layout of the university when I went to an open day recently.

It seems a nice place, and the student union seems equally impressive. While the city on the whole may not be the greatest, It's not all about location.

I don't believe I actually "slated" the university. In fact I said that, contrary to some opinion, often these types of university are more experienced than the 'traditional' universities.

(Original post by WillG)
    I don't believe I actually "slated" the university. In fact I said that, contrary to some opinion, often these types of university are more experienced than the 'traditional' universities.

Wasn't an intentional broadside at you mate, but it's a common theme that people do tend to make judgemental decisions on how well established a university is compared to one that is relatively recent.

ReputationRep:
    loads of people from my school are there now and loving it. the facitilites are really good and theres a graet student atmosphere there.

love Katy ***

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.