This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm applying from the US and the University of Central Lancashire seems to offer everything I want in the way of majors. However, I found out its a former Polytech institute (I was warned to be wary of schools that were as sometimes they weren't as good in other areas) and my contact in England had never even heard of the school.

Any opinions on it? I really am going at this blind so I could use suggestions.
WillG
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Former polys aren't always that bad.

For "newer" degrees such as Business Studies and Economics they can be better than the more traditional universities because they have been teaching these for longer.

I personally have not heard of the institution which is odd since the University of Lancaster was actually my second choice.

Good luck in your searching.
Hibbsy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by WillG)
Former polys aren't always that bad.

For "newer" degrees such as Business Studies and Economics they can be better than the more traditional universities because they have been teaching these for longer.

I personally have not heard of the institution which is odd since the University of Lancaster was actually my second choice.

Good luck in your searching.

Funny how people slate a uni before even going to it.

I've applied to study at UCLAN for sept 2004 and was really impressed with the facilities and layout of the university when I went to an open day recently.

It seems a nice place, and the student union seems equally impressive. While the city on the whole may not be the greatest, It's not all about location.
WillG
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I don't believe I actually "slated" the university. In fact I said that, contrary to some opinion, often these types of university are more experienced than the 'traditional' universities.
Hibbsy
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by WillG)
I don't believe I actually "slated" the university. In fact I said that, contrary to some opinion, often these types of university are more experienced than the 'traditional' universities.

Wasn't an intentional broadside at you mate, but it's a common theme that people do tend to make judgemental decisions on how well established a university is compared to one that is relatively recent.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
loads of people from my school are there now and loving it. the facitilites are really good and theres a graet student atmosphere there.

love Katy ***
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (103)
48.58%
Take exams next summer (31)
14.62%
Change uni choice through clearing (52)
24.53%
Apply to uni next year instead (20)
9.43%
I'm not applying to university (6)
2.83%

Watched Threads