The Student Room Group

The Government Legal Service

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
fiona_simpson
Me too! So much that if it clashes with the one I've already got I will cancel it, no way I'd miss out on the GLS. No letter in yesterday's post so holding out for tomorrow, but I'm at work all day and then performing in a concert so won't see my post until 9 or 10pm. Does anyone have any idea how many people apply for the placements? And there were about 56 places available?

Just wondering, if you say no to a placement with a firm or NGO or whatever, will it be possible to apply again the next year or so? I've applied for an internship for this summer but don't know if I'll get it or not and was considering to apply for another placement as well, just in case. But then if they both happen to say yes, I'd have to say no to one of them.

Sorry if this is totally off topic, but does anyone know?
Zzzz09
Just wondering, if you say no to a placement with a firm or NGO or whatever, will it be possible to apply again the next year or so? I've applied for an internship for this summer but don't know if I'll get it or not and was considering to apply for another placement as well, just in case. But then if they both happen to say yes, I'd have to say no to one of them.

Sorry if this is totally off topic, but does anyone know?

It would probably depend on the individual firm, as none of the firms would seriously believe that you've applied to them and them alone....they know we hedge our bets. I bet loads of people make up stories to get out of placements to go and do another and then re-apply, but I'm not sure of the official stance on whether this would affect your chances. Anyone else have a more concrete answer?
fiona_simpson
It would probably depend on the individual firm, as none of the firms would seriously believe that you've applied to them and them alone....they know we hedge our bets. I bet loads of people make up stories to get out of placements to go and do another and then re-apply, but I'm not sure of the official stance on whether this would affect your chances. Anyone else have a more concrete answer?

A friend of mine tried this at two firms (got 5 VS last year, lucky ****, and reapplied this year since he's decided to do a LLM, so he's still in the recruitment time frame). He was rejected from both within days of sending in his application.

It seems that if you are given a placement and turn it down, they are unlikely to ask you to do a placement again.
MelesMeles
A friend of mine tried this at two firms (got 5 VS last year, lucky ****, and reapplied this year since he's decided to do a LLM, so he's still in the recruitment time frame). He was rejected from both within days of sending in his application.

It seems that if you are given a placement and turn it down, they are unlikely to ask you to do a placement again.

Hmm, that is definitely worth keeping in mind. Lucky friend!
Reply 44
Thanks for the replies! will definitely keep in mind, the reason I asked was that I have often been advised to apply for more than just one placement / or summer job etc. because that increases the chances of getting one but then I would destroy my chances for the coming years. thank you!
No letter today either! Anyone else had a GLS response? Maybe only the MOD have sent out responses so far??
I applied to MOD (Bristol) and no response yet either...
So, I caved. I emailed them asking if they could send the response by email as well as by post as I will be going away for Easter and so won't be able to retrieve my post. All true, but probably won't speed up the response, and hopefully I haven't pissed them off by hounding them. Anyone had a response today?
I've avoided contacting them as the end of March isn't until next Tuesday. Difficult to resist though!
toffeepoppet
I've avoided contacting them as the end of March isn't until next Tuesday. Difficult to resist though!

You're a stronger woman than I, toffeepoppet!! :smile:

Still, couldn't face heading to my dad's and having to wait til mid April to get the response. ARRRGHHHHHH! Sorry, a bit nervous! I know competition is intense but I spent bloody ages on that damn form!

Does anyone have any stats on applicant to place ratios?
fiona_simpson
So, I caved. I emailed them asking if they could send the response by email as well as by post as I will be going away for Easter and so won't be able to retrieve my post. All true, but probably won't speed up the response, and hopefully I haven't pissed them off by hounding them. Anyone had a response today?

I've just done the same :smile:
btw, rumour from reliable source that successful DCLG applicants should have heard by now.
MelesMeles
btw, rumour from reliable source that successful DCLG applicants should have heard by now.

Was thinking of applying to them but plumped for DH. Who did you apply to MelesMeles?
Defra
MelesMeles
Defra

Ooooh, super! Good old Defra.
Reply 55
haven't heard from DCLG yet...hopefully tomorrow...
Reply 56
fiona_simpson
You're a stronger woman than I, toffeepoppet!! :smile:

Still, couldn't face heading to my dad's and having to wait til mid April to get the response. ARRRGHHHHHH! Sorry, a bit nervous! I know competition is intense but I spent bloody ages on that damn form!

Does anyone have any stats on applicant to place ratios?

Lots to not many.
Ethereal
Lots to not many.

In the interests of making that more accessible, I have provided a graphical representation below.

Applicants:

:eek3: :lolwut: :confused: :dontknow: :shot: :eek4: :boxing: :catfight: :tumble: :adore: :hide: :sad: :cry: :blushing: :wtf: :yawn: :grr: :afraid: :motz: :argh: :dong: :hmpf: :eek3: :lolwut: :confused: :dontknow: :shot: :eek4: :boxing: :catfight: :tumble: :adore: :hide: :sad: :cry: :blushing: :wtf: :yawn: :grr: :afraid: :motz: :argh: :dong: :hmpf: :eek3: :lolwut: :confused: :dontknow: :shot: :eek4: :boxing: :catfight: :tumble: :adore: :hide: :sad: :cry: :blushing: :wtf: :yawn: :grr: :afraid: :motz: :argh: :dong: :hmpf: :eek3: :lolwut: :confused: :dontknow: :shot: :eek4: :boxing: :catfight: :tumble: :adore: :hide: :sad: :cry: :blushing: :wtf: :yawn: :grr: :afraid: :motz: :argh: :dong: :hmpf:

Spaces:
:woo:

smilie spam for the win
Still not heard from DCLG!!! xx
Ethereal
Lots to not many.

Haha! V depressing. Is it generally thought to be more or less competitive than eg magic circle vac schemes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending