Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford=work,work,work!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody

Just thought I'd warn you lot about the heaviness of the workload at Oxford; it is absolutely unbelievable, so make sure you know what you're getting yourselves into...

I rang a friend of mine last week at an unnamed university and she was stressing because she has to read two books for next month. I have two 2500-3000 word essays due in every week on really stretching topics and for each one there is so much reading involved my eyes are ceasing to work properly. On top of that I have sheets of logic problems to work through AND have to lead a relatively sane life.

I think a lot of people apply without realising just how heavy the workload is, so make sure you're aware. It is absolutely essential to be dedicated to your subject otherwise you will scream with frustration on a regular basis and swear to burn down every library in the city before you've even matriculated.

Not to put you off or anything, of course.

I think I'm going slightly mad....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    hildabeast, coffee will be your best friend! Good luck with it all, but why are you here if you have so much work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    hildabeast, coffee will be your best friend! Good luck with it all, but why are you here if you have so much work?
    The futility of it all has driven me to UK-Learning. I have just spent 4 hours in the library so I think I deserve a break.

I discovered coffee a long time ago, but ProPlus is much better.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

(Original post by hildabeast)
    Hi everybody

Just thought I'd warn you lot about the heaviness of the workload at Oxford; it is absolutely unbelievable, so make sure you know what you're getting yourselves into...

I rang a friend of mine last week at an unnamed university and she was stressing because she has to read two books for next month. I have two 2500-3000 word essays due in every week on really stretching topics and for each one there is so much reading involved my eyes are ceasing to work properly. On top of that I have sheets of logic problems to work through AND have to lead a relatively sane life.

I think a lot of people apply without realising just how heavy the workload is, so make sure you're aware. It is absolutely essential to be dedicated to your subject otherwise you will scream with frustration on a regular basis and swear to burn down every library in the city before you've even matriculated.

Not to put you off or anything, of course.

I think I'm going slightly mad....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Maybe you should be getting an early night then ready for a busy days reading tomorrow??

ReputationRep:
    its not just oxford. here at exeter i have way too much. it not physcially possible to do all im supoes to do.

prioritising and luin are the biggest skills i will leave here with.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    The futility of it all has driven me to UK-Learning. I have just spent 4 hours in the library so I think I deserve a break.

wow, I have yet to sample the greatness of ProPlus. Only 4 weeks but I think I'm building up an immunity to coffee! A few glasses of Ribena are good for a total sugar-high that send you into hyper-activity and alertness for a fair while

ReputationRep:

Fair point. Well we're here for you hahaha!

And why not a Malibu+Coke? Caffeine will help, and the small bit of alcohol should make you more alert. Don't get dependent though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Maybe you should be getting an early night then ready for a busy days reading tomorrow??
    I plan to, but UK-L is drawing me in...

You do not realise the truth of your statement...I have to go to the Camera tomorrow to read four books from the stacks....

I can't face entering that evil place again...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:

lol, I love the extra big of proplus packs they do at asda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    lol, I love the extra big of proplus packs they do at asda.
    Its so depressing...they sell ProPlus in our college bar and when i arrived there were Samaritans leaflets waiting for us in every room...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm in trouble then.......I hate coffee! Drinks like coffee and tea make me feel ill in the morning so I never have them before I go to college! The thing I'm most worried about is falling asleep at lectures because I can fall asleep quite easily like on buses or during some classes. Wierd thing is that I find it hard to sleep normally at home! I'm applying to unis like LSE and UCL so I'm gonna be in deep s***!

ReputationRep:
    Its so depressing...they sell ProPlus in our college bar and when i arrived there were Samaritans leaflets waiting for us in every room...

why?

ReputationRep:
    why?
    Because loads of people get suicidal due to the pressures of work and the Oxford lifestyle in general, and I completely understand why.

ProPlus is required for all-night essay-writing sessions.

x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x

ReputationRep:
    Because loads of people get suicidal...x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x
    at magd they won't let finalists up the tower, and in any other year your tutor has to certify you mentally fit before they let you up!

hmmm I haven't made it to the Bod yet - so far the college and faculty libraries have had everything - I'm dreading the moment I check OLIS to find that the only copy is in the Bod

ReputationRep:
    Because loads of people get suicidal due to the pressures of work and the Oxford lifestyle in general, and I completely understand why.

ProPlus is required for all-night essay-writing sessions.

x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x
    lol just try not to take more than two an hour and you will be OK?

Just a question, so is all your furniture all antique dark wood? E.g Desk/wardrobe,etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~Sarah~*)
    at magd they won't let finalists up the tower, and in any other year your tutor has to certify you mentally fit before they let you up!

hmmm I haven't made it to the Bod yet - so far the college and faculty libraries have had everything - I'm dreading the moment I check OLIS to find that the only copy is in the Bod
    are u at magdalen? What are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    lol just try not to take more than two an hour and you will be OK?

Just a question, so is all your furniture all antique dark wood? E.g Desk/wardrobe,etc.
    Erm no. Why???

ReputationRep:
    Erm no. Why???

Just curious, I guess I just pictured the dorm rooms of Oxford to have like antique furniture inside, dont ask me why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~Sarah~*)

I have to get loads of books from the stacks because some theology texts are quite specific and there aren't many copies. OLIS is not that bad...you can learn to adopt it as your new friend...

OMG you must go to the bod at some point, esp the old bod and the upper part of the rad cam. Amazing places to work.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, I guess I just pictured the dorm rooms of Oxford to have like antique furniture inside, dont ask me why.
    Maybe some do but I'm in a relatively new block (50s), although there are loads of antique oak desks in the older buildings in college.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x--x-x-x-x-x-x

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.