1. Oxford and Cambridge are alike in nature (collegiate system)
2. Both are powerhouses of British universities
3. Both are facing funding challenges
4. Both are fighting hard to stay at the top in the world
5. Both are struggling to keep ahead of rival rich American universities with their small pitiful endowments/assets (something like 2 billion vs. 20 billion at harvard? the figure is probably wrong! just a guess)
Would you support the merging of Oxford and Cambridge to become Oxbridge University, so that they will become a super-powerhouse against rich American universities?
1. Their total resources are pooled together
2. Applicants no longer need to decide whether to apply to Cambridge or Oxford. They simply apply to Oxbridge only
3. Richer diversity in research - boost quality in papers/conferences
4. Combined strengths of both univerisities in respective reserach areas
5. Pooled teaching resources
6. Increased potential to become the no. 1 university in the world, ahead of Havard and MIT etc
7. Potential of brain-drain from America to Oxbridge
8. Buy the best researchers/academics to add to their depts, not unlike top American universities
1. Loss of traditional sentiments/attachments at both universities?
What do you guys think? Are you for, or against such a merger, if it happens at all?
Personally, it seems to make quite a bit of sense to me. I thought it would be interesting to hear what people think, especially those who are already at Cambridge and Oxford.
PS: Don't forget that there was talk of UCL and Imperial merging.... for much the same reasons cited above!