The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

BA Finance, Accounting and Management

OK, so this is going to be my firm, but before I make my mind up I just want some information.

1. OK so I don't do maths A level; I just missed out on an A at GCSE. Honestly I can't do maths any more - OK I can do the general stuff but I have forgotten a lot of the GCSE stuff. Is this an issue? I hear this course is very mathematical. Did a lot of students that do this course take maths A level? will I and is there support to catch up? etc.

2. I hear the job prospects are good, but how much does the average person expect to get after getting this degree. OK I'm not asking you to go out and research because I'm lazy- there is a high employment rate, but is that good employment? 20k+... 25k+... 30k+... etc

3. what's the drop out rate for this course? Is it very hard?? what chance do I have of changing course or getting in with BBBB if the conditional offer was ABB? How bout ABCC?

4. Is the course well received by employees? Does the uni have a good reputation (I gather so from many google searches, but worth asking)

I'm going to email the uni and ask for #2 and 3, but I'm asking so I can get an opinion of a student/ someone outside the uni. I'm sure not everyone will be able to help me with everything, but it's worth asking.

Thanks if you can help, or if you can't but bothered to read this.

Note to mods: don't move as I want to hear from people in nottingham, and those who do these courses at nottingham (questions uni specific)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For anyone who was wondering:

Thank you for your email, which has been forwarded to me. I would advise that we only ask for Grade B GCSE Maths as it’s considered this qualification is adequate for the programmes within the School. However, as you correctly state, Finance Accounting and Management is more mathematical than Management Studies, and if a Finance, Accounting and Management Studies student hasn’t achieved A Level Maths at Grade B or above, we ask they take Quantitative Methods 1a as the optional module in the first semester of the first year. Information on the module can be accessed at: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/business/ug/ugmods.html

On average half the students do not have Maths A Level or equivalent.

The drop out rate is very small, although a minority of students do transfer from Finance Accounting and Management to other degrees within the School, normally Management Studies or Industrial Economics. This can be agreed either before studies commence or during the first two weeks of term and then again at the end of the first semester or the first year.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ykljdsfdg
For anyone who was wondering:

he do you know if we can take optional modules from outside the business school?
like french or psychology?
and when do they ask you about which modules u want to take?
coz i havent received a letter about that or anything so im getting worried?

thanx
Reply 3
anemoskkk
he do you know if we can take optional modules from outside the business school?
like french or psychology?
and when do they ask you about which modules u want to take?
coz i havent received a letter about that or anything so im getting worried?

thanx

You can take an optional module in pretty much any subject you want (but remember some optional modules are only available to specific degrees).

we don't have many free credits on our degree by the way, and taking irrelevant modules may weaken your degree.

I've been told that we can take up languages along side our degree using our optional modules (don't quote me on this though) but I'm going to pay to do it extra.

Maybe I'll see you in French then (but I think I might just miss my entry requirements :s-smilie:)
Reply 4
Ykljdsfdg
You can take an optional module in pretty much any subject you want (but remember some optional modules are only available to specific degrees).

we don't have many free credits on our degree by the way, and taking irrelevant modules may weaken your degree.

I've been told that we can take up languages along side our degree using our optional modules (don't quote me on this though) but I'm going to pay to do it extra.

Maybe I'll see you in French then (but I think I might just miss my entry requirements :s-smilie:)

why? do you need any qualifications to take french?
and btw do you know who i can email so he can put an answer to all my questions?

thanx a lot again
Reply 5
There will be 3 of us taking French as an optional module then :wink:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/language-centre/Teaching/Which_Stage_is_right_for_you.php we need some qualifications to take French
I've just sent them an email asking whether they will allow us to take French even if we don't have required qualifications for a particular stage
Reply 6
Shadow456
There will be 3 of us taking French as an optional module then :wink:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/language-centre/Teaching/Which_Stage_is_right_for_you.php we need some qualifications to take French
I've just sent them an email asking whether they will allow us to take French even if we don't have required qualifications for a particular stage

I'm Stage 1 french, you?

I'm Stage 2 Spanish but I think French (if not German) is better for a business degree, even though Spanish is sooo much easier and I got a very high b in it at GCSE.

I still don't know if I should pay to do a language out of my degree (if I get a place), the only reason why is that if I **** it up, then my degree grade will go down (won't it?)

also I don't think they'll reply to your email...
Reply 7
i think im stage 3. coz i v completed Delf B2 bt we ll c what happens.
let us know when u get a reply plz

take care
cya soon (hehe)

p.s. are u both eu students?
Reply 8
anemoskkk
i think im stage 3. coz i v completed Delf B2 bt we ll c what happens.
let us know when u get a reply plz

take care
cya soon (hehe)

p.s. are u both eu students?

I'm stage 3 as well

Please check the Language Centre website in early September when all the registration details (times, rooms) will be posted there. When you come to register one of the French tutors will place you into the appropriate level.

Kind regards

Oranna

Oranna Speicher

I'm a EU student. Just out of curiosity, are you Greek or South African?
Reply 9
I'm from the UK and level 1 :smile:

(do you think we've got a chance of getting in to the language modules?)
Reply 10
Shadow456
I'm stage 3 as well

I'm a EU student. Just out of curiosity, are you Greek or South African?

im Greek :smile:
Reply 11
If you guys want to get into the language centre then apply early as the places go very quickly, especially on the more popular languages.
Reply 12
etudiant
If you guys want to get into the language centre then apply early as the places go very quickly, especially on the more popular languages.

but how are we supposed to apply if they havent asked us what our choices are for the optional modules?
do you know when they ll ask us?

thanx :smile:
Reply 13
anemoskkk
but how are we supposed to apply if they havent asked us what our choices are for the optional modules?
do you know when they ll ask us?

thanx :smile:

Someone told me, somewhere somehow (can't remember where I heard it) that we need to apply as soon as we enrol.
Reply 14
Ykljdsfdg
Someone told me, somewhere somehow (can't remember where I heard it) that we need to apply as soon as we enrol.

i just searched the forum of nottingham uni and i found out that u choose ur optional modules when u get there or when u do ur online registration...
Reply 15
hey , i was wondering how many modules we get to choose for our first year, coz when i was searching for info in the site i got the impression that we have only 1 module to take additionally apart of the compulsory ones?
Reply 16
joonji
hey , i was wondering how many modules we get to choose for our first year, coz when i was searching for info in the site i got the impression that we have only 1 module to take additionally apart of the compulsory ones?

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/business/ug/NN34.html

Semester 1 ~ 10 credits (I think = 1 extra module)
Semester 2 ~ 0 credits.
Reply 17
Ykljdsfdg
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/business/ug/NN34.html

Semester 1 ~ 10 credits (I think = 1 extra module)
Semester 2 ~ 0 credits.

Yes, 10credits is one module.
Remember this though, don't pick those modules in your first year that you think will be high scoring/easy, leave those for your 2nd/3rd years where it'll count.

No need to speculate about the dates or whether you'll miss the deadlines/beginning etc... they'll drill the dates so much into you heads at the start of term that you won't be able to forget.
Reply 19
Multiplexed
Remember this though, don't pick those modules in your first year that you think will be high scoring/easy, leave those for your 2nd/3rd years where it'll count.

No need to speculate about the dates or whether you'll miss the deadlines/beginning etc... they'll drill the dates so much into you heads at the start of term that you won't be able to forget.

did you just finish year 3??

Can you, when you have time, write a brief list of advice on modules that'll get you easy marks, but keep your degree strong? thanks.

Also, is it just me or are their a lot of women taking this degree...?

Oh, and after this degree do many people go on to take the exams that are left to be a chartered accountant?

Latest