Please help a CLUELESS AMERICAN with his OXFORD PPE INTERVIEW! :(

Watch
This discussion is closed.
CluelessAmericn
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I have an interview this Friday in New Yorkk City for Oxford PPE. Quite
frankly, I have no idea what to expect. I have read posts from this forum, but it seems as if the American interviews are far different from their British counterparts. For one, I will only have one person questioning me (her name is Dr. Barbara Kennedy) for all three
subjects in the course. Apparently there will be an article I am supposed
to read for thirty minutes followed by a thirty minute discussion. How do I prepare for this? Does anyone know what the dress code is like for a male? I am really in over my head here and could use some help. I live a long way from England and know no one else who is even considering Oxford, so I thought that this would be the best place to
come for advice. Thank you all very much in advance.

-Clueless American-
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/staff/bkennedy.html - she seems to teach geography, which is weird.

stop worrying.

you can't really prepare for it - if you're reasonably intelligent then you'll be able to handle the article and discussion fine. just be yourself and think clearly.

dress code? smart casual seems fine.
Laylah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
A good friend of mine had an interview for PPE last year. He said that the questions mainly revolved around his academic pursuits and then moved onto a few newspaper stories that were big that day (not from the tabloids obviously).

And yes, UK interviews are VERY different from US interviews for uni. British unis don't care about ECs, so your interview will be mostly based on academics and perhaps use your personal statement as a basis.

HTH
CluelessAmericn
Thank you to those who have responded. Please keep it coming!
++Hex++
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
http://www.geog.ox.ac.uk/staff/bkennedy.html - she seems to teach geography, which is weird.
Maybe she's the closest.
CluelessAmericn
Bump
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by CluelessAmericn)
Bump
I've seen this a lot, what the hell do you mean by 'bump'?
++Hex++
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I've seen this a lot, what the hell do you mean by 'bump'?
When you bump a thread back up to the top of the list so more people will read it, but have nothing else to say.
++Hex++
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Though, come to think of it, that's fairly pointless at this time of day.

ETA: Ah, time difference maybe.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I hope u come to england, we have better chocolate and when u eat our mcdonalds burgers you can't feel fat sliming outta the burger which happened to me and made me sick at the Times Square McDonalds
++Hex++
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I hope u come to england, we have better chocolate and when u eat our mcdonalds burgers you can't feel fat sliming outta the burger which happened to me and made me sick at the Times Square McDonalds
Nice.
Linda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I miss Flake so much... I'll be brining a bunch of it home to Norway after I've had my interviews.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (38)
13.77%
Virtual campus tours/open days (62)
22.46%
Live streaming events (25)
9.06%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (27)
9.78%
A uni comparison tool (64)
23.19%
An in-person event when available (60)
21.74%