The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Christ's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Echolife
What is Christ's like for Rugby and Football? Is it possible to play both sports or would the matches be on the same day?

yeh you can play both.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 221
A quick question to anyone already at Christs; are there music facilities such as pianos/practise rooms for non-music students as I really want to continue playing piano at uni (if I get enough time that is-the medicine work load looks impossible)
Yes, I think there are music rooms, however they do tend to get booked up. If you befriend one of the post grads, there's a piano available in the MCR.
NotoriousMIC
yeh you can play both.

Great, thanks for that, I'd given up hope of someone answering.:smile:
The number of pianos will be limited next year as new court is being re-done, but there will still be some pianos avaliable.
Reply 225
Is there anything in New Court that we will especially miss, or is it just mainly rooms?
They're re-doing the theatre, so the Christ's films society is going to have find somewhere else for a year. Not sure where we're going to hold bops now either.
Jerby
Is there anything in New Court that we will especially miss, or is it just mainly rooms?

squash courts...
Childermass
They're re-doing the theatre, so the Christ's films society is going to have find somewhere else for a year. Not sure where we're going to hold bops now either.

We will lose the JCR, MCR, TV room, theatre: which holds bops, plays, pantos and v. importantly to me the film soc cinema; music room, party room, squash courts and 'New Court Gallery' which is a meeting room.

It will make it hard to hold all the social events for fresher's week although I know that the First Year Reps are in negociations about that. It will mean that for a year there won't be any recreational areas and bops will be a problem although College is supposidly 'looking into solutions' whatever that euphamism is actually meant to imply! So yes it is going to be a real pain that New Court isn't there in more ways than just that the bedrooms won't be there.

But having said that I'm sure other arrangements will be made to a degree and it will all be just a bit inconvient!
Reply 229
Oh dear, but is the second year accommodation I've heard we're getting any better to in effect compensate us for the loss of those facilities?
Jerby
Oh dear, but is the second year accommodation I've heard we're getting any better to in effect compensate us for the loss of those facilities?

Well you won't really be in 2nd year accomodation as most 2nd years live out of College, and all first years will be in College. So those freshers who would have gone in New Court will in reality be in 3rd year rooms and other odd rooms that would normally have gone to people in other years. The rooms are fine wherever you are in College, each has its good and bad points, so that's not really the issue. You will have a lot better rooms than all the 2nd years who didn't get a room in nearby College houses (since 3rd years will be that accomodation) and will be a really long way away from College next year.

Its not a compensation thing for loss of facilities since that affects everyone in College, its a bit odd to say we haven't got a JCR but I do have a larger room to make up for it. They're not really related, you won't have a room in New Court because all the rooms will be being re-done, not as compensation for the lack of facilities.

College have said that a JCR, MCR and TV room substitute will be found for the year and the JCR will find other ways of holding all the Freshers' stuff and bops. It will be an inconvience but its won't be that bad, sorry if I sounded really negative!
Reply 231
Will we be close together as a year, as having an "odd room" somewhere in the college doesn't sound as good for getting to know people as New Court did? I'm sure it'll be fine though; on the rooms database, some of the third year stuff sounds nice and roomy.
Jerby
Will we be close together as a year, as having an "odd room" somewhere in the college doesn't sound as good for getting to know people as New Court did? I'm sure it'll be fine though; on the rooms database, some of the third year stuff sounds nice and roomy.

I think you get a good deal. You will have good rooms, and yes, you will all be in college and so will be close together.

Unlike 2nd years.
Jerby

What I mean as there are some stairs that are generally asigned to a year group like W for 3rd years etc, but not all rooms are filled up methodically so some rooms are left over. I don't mean that some rooms are stuck up at the top of a tower and there is no one near you! Its just you may get a 2nd or 3rd year living on the same corridor as fresher's etc since that room wasn't taken.

No other room is more than a minute away in college and most of the first years don't live in New Court (Landsun building- the bit being re-done) anyway. Loads of my friends aren't in New Court at all but many different stairs, and you mainly meet people through other things anyway.
Just for informational purposes - I am a current student (Geography 1st year) - happy to field questions.
seashellstar
No other room is more than a minute away in college and most of the first years don't live in New Court (Landsun building- the bit being re-done) anyway. Loads of my friends aren't in New Court at all but many different stairs, and you mainly meet people through other things anyway.

Indeed, through Z Annex has far superior stairs and so many of them.

The ones in Y block are just weird though.
Reply 236
Hope they do get us a decent JCR...and a decent fresher's week!! Btw is it usually good at Christ's??

Oh yeah and any people with offers...come join the Facebook Christ's Freshers 2007 Group!!
Sophilcfc
Hope they do get us a decent JCR...and a decent fresher's week!! Btw is it usually good at Christ's??

I know the guy organising fresher's week. He's slogging his guts out to make it helpful and fun so hopefully it'll be good.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to specifically in the second part of the question, so I'll just say 'yes'. Most things are. :biggrin:
Sophilcfc

Same, I know both Fresher's Reps on the JCR and they are both working really hard to do a good Fresher's 'Week'- don't bank on more than four days though! The JCR at the moment is fine and almost as soon as you get here there will be a new set of elections so you can stand to join it if you feel you want to change things and have an influence in College life.

My Fresher's week was good, and I know the things that people didn't like the Fresher's Reps are trying to improve for next year as far as they can.
Hey Guys!

I'm brand new here, and I'd just like to say hello!

I'm hopefully reading Biological Natural Science at Christ's (the best college of course).

It's an AABB offer in Advanced Highers, (Scottish/Ethnically Challenged as I may be).

I'm one of those crazy people that kind of bitches about the amount of work they do, but it's mainly my own fault. I'm taking 5 Advanced Highers! (at this point you can confirm that I am crazy) They are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics and Mathematics!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending