This discussion is closed.
MatthewWxm
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hey there I've been browsing this fine site/forum for a while now, so I decided to register and get involved as uni applications are starting to rain in on those lovely university type people

Anyway, my point: -

Has anyone else ever pondered that the Politics AS/A Level exams are grossly unfair, in that the allocated time to complete the exam doesn't allow students to express themselves fully?

Me being a bit of a slow writer, I can't seem to get to grips with the exams, and consequently I got a C overall at AS when in truth I perhaps should've done better. In the third module where students were allowed an hour for 50 marks instead of 100, I got an A. In the other modules I grossly underachieved with a D and an E despite working pretty hard by my standards to reach my goal of an A (Minimum B as I want to take Politics at uni, preferably UEA).

For anyone unclear, EdExcel expect students to write 100 marks worth (6 questions on different topics in the unit) in 1 hour in modules 1 and 2 at AS. I presume this is the same for A Level too although I'm too depressed to ask anyone! The only plus is that students are allowed to select 2 questions out of 4 offered, but even this can reduce valuable writing time (I am that paranoid!).

I know other people don't suffer but it's still annoying, almost to the point that it's upsetting, that it could ruin my chances of getting into my chosen uni. I'm fine in other subjects e.g. English language, but 100 marks in an hour is a step too far for a slow writer such as I.

Can anyone offer this pathetic student some advice please , or
just some views on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.
hildabeast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Unfortunately you just have to learn exam techniques and how to get down what you want to get down concisely. It does get better at A2 - I know for my AQA politics a level the synoptic paper lasted 2 and a half hours and was worth 120 marks and the two 90 mark exams lasted 1 and a half hours each so you can express yourself more in the second year.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
MatthewWxm
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
It's a shame that all subjects aren't consistent. I feel that I have to try much harder to get higher grades in Politics exams than I do in English Language exams, and I don't personally believe I lean towards either in terms of intelligence.

Throughout the year, despite being a bit of a lazy tyke by own admission , I consistently get A's and B's in my essays yet when it comes to a timed essay or exam I am useless. I've never had such a problem before, as for GCSE's the exam board tended to overcompensate with time. This is obviously wrong, but I feel the exam boards have gone to extreme lengths when expecting students to express 100 marks worth of work in just 1 hour. In other subjects I am fine with time, it's just Politics that's a problem. It's the inconsistency that upsets me more than anything.

I think I'd better get down to some exam practice although I am greatly encouraged at the thought of more time at A2! Maybe I won't have to spend 3 years at NEWI after all (No offence if any reader studies in this fine town of mine)

I was interested in your comments about the workload at Oxford. It makes me glad I haven't got an old head on young shoulders because I'm sure I'd buckle under that pressure. Good luck!

Matthew (Pulling an all nighter - The thought of the cricket at 7am is keeping me sane Sorry non-cricket fans!)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
It's a shame that all subjects aren't consistent. I feel that I have to try much harder to get higher grades in Politics exams than I do in English Language exams, and I don't personally believe I lean towards either in terms of intelligence.

hmmm...I can that you do lean more towards the latter, without realising it. take examinations on politics without any real difficulty, often after having consumed a good deal of alcohol! Yet, Eng lit. would often leave me baffled. It's more than likely
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MatthewWxm)

Throughout the year, despite being a bit of a lazy tyke by own admission , I consistently get A's and B's in my essays yet when it comes to a timed essay or exam I am useless. I've never had such a problem before, as for GCSE's the exam board tended to overcompensate with time. This is obviously wrong, but I feel the exam boards have gone to extreme lengths when expecting students to express 100 marks worth of work in just 1 hour. In other subjects I am fine with time, it's just Politics that's a problem. It's the inconsistency that upsets me more than anything.

I think I'd better get down to some exam practice although I am greatly encouraged at the thought of more time at A2! Maybe I won't have to spend 3 years at NEWI after all (No offence if any reader studies in this fine town of mine)

I was interested in your comments about the workload at Oxford. It makes me glad I haven't got an old head on young shoulders because I'm sure I'd buckle under that pressure. Good luck!

Matthew (Pulling an all nighter - The thought of the cricket at 7am is keeping me sane Sorry non-cricket fans!)
(should read)

hmmm...I can take examinations on politics without any real difficulty, often after having consumed a good deal of alcohol! Yet, Eng lit. would often leave me baffled. It's more than likely that you do lean more towards the latter, without realising it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (143)
24.16%
Live streaming events (51)
8.61%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.29%
A uni comparison tool (138)
23.31%
An in-person event when available (132)
22.3%