Classical guitar from scratch to grade 8?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
p.d
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi, this year I kinda got interested in classical guitar.My dad is a classical guitar grade 8. I was just wandering how long does it take for a person to go from scratch to grade 8 in classical guitar with no prior knowledge of western music.I used to play the sitar (an indian classical instrument) when I was 4 years old till 11 years then I kinda put it on hold cos of school and exams and stuff.Now I'm 19 and wanting to take up classical guitar on my own.I got no teacher, only my dad who helps me when he has time.So how long?
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Years mate, don't even attempt it. I've been playing the viola (with a teacher, in orchestra... every week, twice a week), since I was 11. I'm now 19, and no where near Grade 8.

It honestly takes years, and don't forget Music theory (Grade 5 Min.)
Sirocco11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It really depends. I happen to believe that musical exposure at a young age is contributory to advancement in music, and principally speaking the sitar is a stringed instrument so you have some form of grounding no matter how minor. I took around 2 years to get to grade 8, then took it in my 3rd year of playing, I have a musical background, that and I practiced very methodically when starting off. There are others around here who've reached grade 8 guitar as well so they'll give you their opinion.
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends how good you are. Some people, like my mother, took it up at around 13 and managed to get to grade 8 by 15. For other people, it takes years, and you may seem to make very little progress. Like... er... me.

There are other factors, but a main one is talent. I suggest taking it up anyway, and seeing how you get along.
RobinMurphy66
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
From what i hear the sitar is a much harder instrument to play than the guitar so i shouldn't think it'll be like starting from scratch, however having said that it'll take you years to learn how to play any instrument to grade 8. Classical guitar is also a very hard style of guitar to play as well.
h123f
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi, I only started classical guitar around a year ago, and am taking the grade 8 exam this november. I was grade 8 equivalent on electric, but it has not been as big of a step as I thought it would have been, but remember- practice really does pay off!
good luck In your decisions
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Generally, if you're taught you work at roughly a grade a year.
CapnHooch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've done my grade 8 in classical guitar, and I play sitar to some extent. You'll have the basics down well enough with the sitar experience, but technique has to be spot on for classical guitar, especially at grade 8.
I'd give it 2-3 years if i'm honest.
fox_the_fix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was g6 in piano before I started playing guitar (age 12). I was g8 in piano age 14 and g8 guitar age 15.
Took me 3 years to master guitar, but then I had already been playing piano since I was 7 or so and am pitch perfect. Most people I know it took them 5+ years.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Now I know this is going to sound absolutely insane (literally no one believes me until I play for them) but currently, I have been playing for about 10 months and now (in terms of technicality) I can play all the grade 7 pieces in my book and can play pieces more difficult (grade 8). But to be fair I practice at least 3 and a half hours every weekday and 10-12 hours every day off. Good luck.
snowflakeontheeye
Badges: 2
Report 10 months ago
1014, were you also taking lessons with a tutor during those 10 months or did you just go through the books yourself? Also, did you go through each grade one by one or did you skip any? And hows your guitar journey going now?
Rolo1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by snowflakeontheeye)
1014, were you also taking lessons with a tutor during those 10 months or did you just go through the books yourself? Also, did you go through each grade one by one or did you skip any? And hows your guitar journey going now?
hes probably never coming back on TSR, look how long this thread is.....:eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.42%
I'm not sure (7)
3.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (71)
35.32%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.49%
I'm not a current university student (87)
43.28%

Watched Threads