That's all folks Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cynical Chris
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Well, it's the end of the first year of uni which has without a doubt been the best year of my life
so far. Those of you that aren't sure if they should go really should (good grammar there). Not only
do I seem to have passed the first year whilst partying and generally having a good, slightly
immoral time but I've managed to recreate a scary number of scenes from American Pie and American
Pie 2 in real life (think about it).

Only sad part is looking round my bare room and the realisation that I have 12 weeks of boringness
at home before I can come back - I really don't like the system, especially when something happens a
few days before the end of the term and you can't really carry it on. Leicester will be lived in
next summer I reckon, this has to be my last summer in Suffolk for the sake of my sanity!

Oh well, on with the packing....

Chris.
Very Wise
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Cynical Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Well, it's the end of the first year of uni which has without a doubt been the best year of my[/q1]
[q1]> life so far. Those of you that aren't sure if they should go really should (good grammar there).[/q1]
[q1]> Not only do I seem to have passed the first year whilst partying and generally having a good,[/q1]
slightly
[q1]> immoral time but I've managed to recreate a scary number of scenes from American Pie and American[/q1]
[q1]> Pie 2 in real life (think about it).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Only sad part is looking round my bare room and the realisation that I[/q1]
have
[q1]> 12 weeks of boringness at home before I can come back - I really don't[/q1]
[q1]> the system, especially when something happens a few days before the end of the term and you can't[/q1]
[q1]> really carry it on. Leicester will be lived in[/q1]
next
[q1]> summer I reckon, this has to be my last summer in Suffolk for the sake of[/q1]
my
[q1]> sanity![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh well, on with the packing.... that is correct[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Chris.[/q1]
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
gotta agree, university rules, how did u manage to superglue your hand to your **** btw? ;-)

[q1]> Well, it's the end of the first year of uni which has without a doubt been the best year of my[/q1]
[q1]> life so far. Those of you that aren't sure if they should go really should (good grammar there).[/q1]
[q1]> Not only do I seem to have passed the first year whilst partying and generally having a good,[/q1]
slightly
[q1]> immoral time but I've managed to recreate a scary number of scenes from American Pie and American[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Only sad part is looking round my bare room and the realisation that I[/q1]
have
[q1]> 12 weeks of boringness at home before I can come back - I really don't[/q1]
[q1]> the system, especially when something happens a few days before the end of the term and you can't[/q1]
next
[q1]> summer I reckon, this has to be my last summer in Suffolk for the sake of[/q1]
my
[q1]> sanity![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh well, on with the packing....[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Chris.[/q1]
Smish
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
slightly
[q1]>[/q1]
have
next
my
[q1]> sanity![/q1]

I'd like to argue for the other side if I may...

University is ****. This year has, without a doubt, been the worst of my life. Despite living in
Britian's funkiest city, and in one of the funkiest parts with the best transport links ever, there
are too many people. My advice is to go to a quiet university because they are so much more
friendlier.

adam
Cynical Chris
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Max Power" <[email protected] m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> gotta agree, university rules, how did u manage to superglue your hand to your **** btw? ;-)[/q1]

Didn't quite do that - did expose myself to a large group of open day visitors though....

Chris.
Gaurav Sharma
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"smish" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q2]> > Well, it's the end of the first year of uni which has without a doubt[/q2]
been
[q2]> > the best year of my life so far. Those of you that aren't sure if they should go really should[/q2]
[q2]> > (good grammar there). Not only do I seem to[/q2]
have
[q2]> > passed the first year whilst partying and generally having a good,[/q2]
[q1]> slightly[/q1]
[q2]> > immoral time but I've managed to recreate a scary number of scenes from American Pie and[/q2]
[q2]> > American Pie 2 in real life (think about it).[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Only sad part is looking round my bare room and the realisation that I[/q2]
[q1]> have[/q1]
[q2]> > 12 weeks of boringness at home before I can come back - I really don't[/q2]
[q1]> like[/q1]
[q2]> > the system, especially when something happens a few days before the end[/q2]
of
[q2]> > the term and you can't really carry it on. Leicester will be lived in[/q2]
[q1]> next[/q1]
[q2]> > summer I reckon, this has to be my last summer in Suffolk for the sake[/q2]
of
[q1]> my[/q1]
[q2]> > sanity![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'd like to argue for the other side if I may...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> University is ****. This year has, without a doubt, been the worst of my life. Despite living in[/q1]
[q1]> Britian's funkiest city, and in one of the[/q1]
funkiest
[q1]> parts with the best transport links ever, there are too many people. My advice is to go to a quiet[/q1]
[q1]> university because they are so much more friendlier.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> adam[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Dudes at Imperial are friendly enough, though I've noticed lots of the international's are quite shy
and just stick with each other. There's always a few exceptions though, I think it's got a lot to do
with luck when it comes to people. I travel into london everyday and think it's a great place,
there's virtually infinite places to go to, and the underground's so useful when it comes to
navigation. To us most museums etc are free as well, along with tons of exhibitions that occur quite
often exclusively in london. I think Imperial's suited me great in terms of the university itself,
as for the external aspects about living there, I don't know, I didn't really like halls (or more
specifically, the halls I was allocated) so I moved back home early on, overall I couldn't comment
on that. Anyway, term's officially over today, cheer up Adam!

G.Sharma.
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > gotta agree, university rules, how did u manage to superglue your hand to your **** btw? ;-)[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Didn't quite do that - did expose myself to a large group of open day visitors though....[/q1]

can't remember that scene.
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> University is ****. This year has, without a doubt, been the worst of my life. Despite living in[/q1]
funkiest
[q1]> parts with the best transport links ever, there are too many people. My advice is to go to a quiet[/q1]

ever thought it maybe you who has problems, and not the university?
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
smish <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q2]> > Well, it's the end of the first year of uni which has without a doubt[/q2]
been
[q2]> > the best year of my life so far. Those of you that aren't sure if they should go really should[/q2]
have
[q1]> slightly[/q1]
[q2]> > immoral time but I've managed to recreate a scary number of scenes from American Pie and[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Only sad part is looking round my bare room and the realisation that I[/q2]
[q1]> have[/q1]
[q2]> > 12 weeks of boringness at home before I can come back - I really don't[/q2]
[q1]> like[/q1]
[q2]> > the system, especially when something happens a few days before the end[/q2]
of
[q2]> > the term and you can't really carry it on. Leicester will be lived in[/q2]
[q1]> next[/q1]
[q2]> > summer I reckon, this has to be my last summer in Suffolk for the sake[/q2]
of
[q1]> my[/q1]
[q2]> > sanity![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'd like to argue for the other side if I may...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
funkiest
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> adam[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
It's the **** city you're in not the university, adam John
Becky Loader
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Max Power" <[email protected] m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q2]> > University is ****. This year has, without a doubt, been the worst of[/q2]
my
[q2]> > life. Despite living in Britian's funkiest city, and in one of the[/q2]
[q1]> funkiest[/q1]
[q2]> > parts with the best transport links ever, there are too many people. My advice is to go to a[/q2]
[q2]> > quiet university because they are so much more friendlier.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ever thought it maybe you who has problems, and not the university?[/q1]

The colleges of the University of London /are/ very different from 'provincial' universities, and
the experience can be quite far removed from pre-conceptions of what university life will be like.
That can happen anywhere, and anybody can make a wrong choice of university (I did) which ends up
being /its own/ problem.

Becky
Cynical Chris
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
slightly
[q1]>[/q1]
have
next
my
[q1]> sanity![/q1]

It really is as bad as I thought back at home - favourite pub is closed for refurbushment,
everywhere else seems dead, no friends back really *grumble*

Chris.
Very Wise
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> "Cynical Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
been
have
[q1]> slightly[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> have[/q1]
[q1]> like[/q1]
of
[q1]> next[/q1]
of
[q1]> my[/q1]
[q2]> > sanity![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It really is as bad as I thought back at home - favourite pub is closed[/q1]
for
[q1]> refurbushment, everywhere else seems dead, no friends back really[/q1]
*grumble*
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Chris.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Well read. use google type dajjal and gain the knowledge to the truth.
Richard Magrath
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"smish" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Britian's funkiest city, and in one of the funkiest parts with the best transport links ever,[/q1]
[q1]> there are too many people. My advice is to go to a quiet university because they are so much more[/q1]
[q1]> friendlier.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> adam[/q1]

Which city are you in?

Rich
Smish
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > University is ****. This year has, without a doubt, been the worst of[/q2]
my
[q2]> > life. Despite living in Britian's funkiest city, and in one of the[/q2]
funkiest
[q2]> > parts with the best transport links ever, there are too many people. My advice is to go to a[/q2]
[q2]> > quiet university because they are so much more friendlier.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > adam[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Which city are you in?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Rich[/q1]

London
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Which city are you in?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Rich[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> London[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Well that explains it all, then. John
Smish
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q3]> > > Which city are you in?[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > > Rich[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > London[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> Well that explains it all, then. John[/q1]

What's wrong with London?

I find it rather nice.

The other night we went out to celebrate my friend's birthday, and the club we were going to go to
was closed so we went for a wander and climbed on the lions at trafalgar square, and hung around the
victoria monument opposite buckingham palace. Twas great fun, and really pretty. You can't do that
in other citys.

Also, they have the coolest shops in London. Regent Street is my favourite.

Sure it's dirty and smelly and noisy and expensive, but the occasional weekend at home provides a
nice break from the first three.

So, what's wrong with the place? I know I hate it but I'm not really sure why

adam
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> What's wrong with London?[/q1]

crime sky high property prices traffic

there's probably more but i can't think of them right now.

[q1]> I find it rather nice.[/q1]

yes so do I, but there are cons to living in any city.

[q1]> The other night we went out to celebrate my friend's birthday, and the[/q1]
club
[q1]> we were going to go to was closed so we went for a wander and climbed on[/q1]
the
[q1]> lions at trafalgar square, and hung around the victoria monument opposite buckingham palace. Twas[/q1]
[q1]> great fun, and really pretty. You can't do that[/q1]
in
[q1]> other citys.[/q1]

yes but other citys have similar monuments and cool stuff to play on, have u seen picadilly gardens
in manchester since they have renovated it? they have these cool fountains which can provide a
similar level of drunken entertainment value

[q1]> Also, they have the coolest shops in London. Regent Street is my[/q1]
favourite.

yeah probably, although they have the same shops in most other major cities.

[q1]> Sure it's dirty and smelly and noisy and expensive, but the occasional weekend at home provides a[/q1]
[q1]> nice break from the first three.[/q1]

where's home anyway, i thought you were from london?

[q1]> So, what's wrong with the place? I know I hate it but I'm not really sure why [/q1]

there's not a lot wrong with the place, why do you think property/rent is so high in london? because
so many people want to live there, if there was something terribly wrong with it this wouldn't be
the case would it?
Jhp
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
smish <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q3]> > > > Which city are you in?[/q3]
[q3]> > > >[/q3]
[q3]> > > > Rich[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > > London[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q2]> > Well that explains it all, then. John[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What's wrong with London?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I find it rather nice.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The other night we went out to celebrate my friend's birthday, and the[/q1]
club
[q1]> we were going to go to was closed so we went for a wander and climbed on[/q1]
the
[q1]> lions at trafalgar square, and hung around the victoria monument opposite buckingham palace. Twas[/q1]
[q1]> great fun, and really pretty. You can't do that[/q1]
in
[q1]> other citys.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Also, they have the coolest shops in London. Regent Street is my[/q1]
favourite.
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Sure it's dirty and smelly and noisy and expensive, but the occasional weekend at home provides a[/q1]
[q1]> nice break from the first three.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So, what's wrong with the place? I know I hate it but I'm not really sure why [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> adam[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I can only speak for myself. Firstly I find all cities difficult and it must be said that London is
the epitome of a city in that everything I hate about them is amplified there.

First, the press of people. Second the moral ugliness of the people and in particular the selfish
search for money. Third the ubiquity of it all. There is nowhere you can go to escape the
small-mindedness of it and in particular the parochialism of Londoners en masse. They refer to every
one else as being provincial, but they are the most parochial. It's charming in a sad way.
Glaswegians (to take one odd example) are fully aware of the place of their city in the world and
have respect for other cities an indeed for other places, but few Londoners. Fourth, the noise and
interminability of it. I once stayed at the London Business School on a room over a busty road. T
traffic stopped at 2:30 and started at 5:00. I just don;t wan that. Fifth, the ethnocentricity. If
it isn't darn sarf it's quaint and old fashioned. Well actually, no. In many cases it's a SE based
policy that is old fashioned and reactionary. It's a kind of racism. I've had and heard more
gratuitous insults, for example, for being Welsh from Londoners than any other group of people.
Quote from a business man I took to dinner in Lancashire "this is amazing, I never realised you had
restaurants like this up here." Quote from Londoner hearing my friend, who has a slight Lancashire
accent. "'Ere, you're from up norf, intcha? Darn 'ere we fink everyone from up norf is fick."

I understand that many people like it but for me if someone is satisfied with London he is
tired of life.

Sorry. :>)

John
Danny
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:48:45 +0100, "JHP"
<[email protected] t.co.uk> wrote:

[q1]>I can only speak for myself. Firstly I find all cities difficult and it must be said that London is[/q1]
[q1]>the epitome of a city in that everything I hate about them is amplified there.[/q1]

I love visiting London. To me it's an interesting place full of surprises. It is a culturally rich
place on an enormous scale. I have frequently visited two quite deprived areas there - broadwater
farm and crouch end - so I suppose my interpretation is a little different. Unfortunately this
cultural richness also tends to lead to crime - it seems you can't have one without the other. This
is the reason why I wouldn't' actually want to live in London..

Dan
Max Power
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> I can only speak for myself. Firstly I find all cities difficult and it[/q1]
must
[q1]> be said that London is the epitome of a city in that everything I hate[/q1]
about
[q1]> them is amplified there.[/q1]

personally i find living in the middle of nowhere more difficult.

[q1]> First, the press of people. Second the moral ugliness of the people and in particular the selfish[/q1]
search
[q1]> for money.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Third the ubiquity of it all. There is nowhere you can go to escape the small-mindedness of it and[/q1]
[q1]> in particular the parochialism of Londoners en masse. They refer to every one else as being[/q1]
[q1]> provincial, but they are the most parochial. It's charming in a sad way. Glaswegians (to take one[/q1]
[q1]> odd example) are fully aware of the place of their city in the world and have respect for other[/q1]
[q1]> cities an indeed for other places, but few Londoners.[/q1]

yeah I guess you have a point, but I don't think you can really generalise about all londoners.

[q1]> Fourth, the noise and interminability of it. I once stayed at the London Business School on a room[/q1]
[q1]> over a busty road. T traffic stopped at 2:30 and started at 5:00. I just don;t wan that. Fifth,[/q1]
[q1]> the ethnocentricity. If it isn't darn sarf it's quaint and old fashioned. Well actually, no. In[/q1]
[q1]> many cases it's a SE based policy that is old fashioned and reactionary. It's a kind of racism.[/q1]
[q1]> I've had and heard more gratuitous insults, for example, for being Welsh from Londoners than any[/q1]
[q1]> other group of people. Quote from a business man I took to dinner in Lancashire "this is amazing,[/q1]
[q1]> I never realised you had restaurants like[/q1]
this
[q1]> up here." Quote from Londoner hearing my friend, who has a slight Lancashire accent. "'Ere, you're[/q1]
[q1]> from up norf, intcha? Darn 'ere we fink everyone from up norf is fick."[/q1]

yeah i agree there are some londoners who are *******s, but there are many more I'm sure who are
nice enough, and respect ppl from other places, but isn't that the same everywhere?

and I think you will also find in most cases that ppl gratutituously insult londoners as much as
londoners insult them.

[q1]> I understand that many people like it but for me if someone is satisfied with London he is tired[/q1]
[q1]> of life.[/q1]

i don't know, the main thing that annoys me about london is how it has become prohibitively
expensive in recent years, london is one of the most liveliest places in england to live.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%