Increase in applications to Cambridge

Watch
This discussion is closed.
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I have just read in Guardian Education online that Cambridge has had a 25% increase in number of applications this year!
Also that there has beeen a surge in the numbers applying to unis for Medicine and Dentistry. The explanation is that with the forecast of swingeing increase in top-up fees, students are applying before 2006 deadline because of the 6 year course length.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UnregisteredP)
I have just read in Guardian Education online that Cambridge has had a 25% increase in number of applications this year!
Also that there has beeen a surge in the numbers applying to unis for Medicine and Dentistry. The explanation is that with the forecast of swingeing increase in top-up fees, students are applying before 2006 deadline because of the 6 year course length.
Dont say that! Im nervous enough as it is!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UnregisteredP)
The Cambridge increase of 25% is unconfirmed - and Oxbridge as a whole has only had an increase of 7.1% (compared to last yr when they went up by 6.2% overall and the yr before when they went up by 16%). Which means that if the unconfirmed rumours about Cambrudge are true it's likely that Oxford has had a 24% decrease in application numbers...not very plausible.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Which means that if the unconfirmed rumours about Cambrudge are true it's likely that Oxford has had a 24% decrease in application numbers...not very plausible.
But quite a nice thought, anyway.
Allotriophagy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The increase will be from people who were "recruited" through access initiatives and don't stand a chance (the university only wants cool application statistics - "We had a 400% increase from ethnic minority groups this year! None got in of course, so don't worry.") and independent school candidates who think it is once more safe to apply.

Mwahahaha. Fear not.

a.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Allotriophagy)
The increase will be from people who were "recruited" through access initiatives and don't stand a chance (the university only wants cool application statistics - "We had a 400% increase from ethnic minority groups this year! None got in of course, so don't worry.") and independent school candidates who think it is once more safe to apply.

Mwahahaha. Fear not.

a.
What an arrogant opinion! The access initiative is for potential undergraduates who are meritorious but who, for whatever reason, would not have considered applying. Are you saying that the posters on this forum who now think they just might have a chance because of the publicity of 'Aim Higher' and such like, and are consequently waiting for their interviews are only in that position because the unis think they will make up 'cool application statistics'?
And then you go on to say 'Fear not' - unbelievable.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
What an arrogant opinion! The access initiative is for potential undergraduates who are meritorious but who, for whatever reason, would not have considered applying. Are you saying that the posters on this forum who now think they just might have a chance because of the publicity of 'Aim Higher' and such like, and are consequently waiting for their interviews are only in that position because the unis think they will make up 'cool application statistics'?
And then you go on to say 'Fear not' - unbelievable.
What an outraged response! If you yourself are applying, I hope your interviewers don't ask you to underline any sarcasm or irony you can find in a passage - believe it.

a.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What an outraged response! If you yourself are applying, I hope your interviewers don't ask you to underline any sarcasm or irony you can find in a passage - believe it.

a.
Just a tip - if you're being sarcastic in writing it pays to make it obvious - sarcasm is most readily communicated through tone of voice something which is lacking on forums but easily replaced through use of the smiley.
Bigcnee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Just a tip - if you're being sarcastic in writing it pays to make it obvious - sarcasm is most readily communicated through tone of voice something which is lacking on forums but easily replaced through use of the smiley.
So true.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
~stomps on emoticons~

NEVER!

Anyway. It's all very well people being nervous and a little stressed about getting in, but playing a game with numbers is just silly and achieves nothing. It's too late! Give in to the process!

You pick your college, you pay your £15, you go to your interview. So what if there are 20 or 200 or 2000 other people applying for your course at your college? If you are that worried about having to compete (and it IS a competition) then why not just save yourself a little money and not bother applying in the first place?

Once you are reconciled to the fact that there will always be more applicants than places and that going up against 50 people for 5 places is not really different from going up against 200 for those same 5 places, THEN you can start using smilies. Like this. :-O

But hold on...what if all those people are better than me? Oh no...noooooo...what have I done!

Bleurgh.

a.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Mwahahaha. Fear not.

a.
'Fraid not, I know a fair few people who were 'recruited' through access programmes and they're all getting on really well here in Cambridge. Mwahahahah. Fear.

In all seriousness, they make so much effort not to discriminate against anyone from any background you wouldn't believe it. It does no good to think of it as a competition, you should be yourself and forget about everyone else.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
It does no good to think of it as a competition, you should be yourself and forget about everyone else.
Considering St.John's describe it as a competition, I am quite happy to do the same. :P

a.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Considering St.John's describe it as a competition, I am quite happy to do the same. :P

a.
I was merely advising that, although it is a competition of sorts, most people benefit from only considering their own application and not approaching it with a competitive attitude.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
I was merely advising that, although it is a competition of sorts, most people benefit from only considering their own application and not approaching it with a competitive attitude.
In what way do they benefit, exactly?

a.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Mwahahaha. Fear not.

a.
Why? Because they are ethnic minorities? They wouldn't bother with an access scheme if it didn't help.. get your facts straight instead of making sweeping judgements
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Why? Because they are ethnic minorities? They wouldn't bother with an access scheme if it didn't help.. get your facts straight instead of making sweeping judgements
Understand before clicking reply, perhaps?

a.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Understand before clicking reply, perhaps?

a.
I'm not sure how I could have misunderstood that statement (sorry if I did).. care to enlighten me?
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
I'm not sure how I could have misunderstood that statement (sorry if I did).. care to enlighten me?
Bit of a spoon feeder, eh?

a.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The increase will be from people who were "recruited" through access initiatives and don't stand a chance
What you said there sounds pretty clear to me. I don't see why you would say that without being willing to explain yourself. I personally believe access schemes are great and the more people recruited through them the better. They do stand a chance as Oxbridge looks at academic potential- just because they are recruited through such a scheme does not make them dumb.

Bit of a spoon feeder, eh?

a.
Thats such a non-response.. sarcasm doesn't go down well with me :mad:
theone
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think whatever figures indicate, people have not magically gotten clever and thus the odds of getting in are just as good as ever, i severly doubt 25% of people have reach what might be described as "oxbridge standard" as oppossed to last year. It could well be people being pushed into applying by their schools, i know some were at my school.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (556)
50.41%
No (547)
49.59%

Watched Threads