Increase in applications to Cambridge

Watch
This discussion is closed.
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
I think whatever figures indicate, people have not magically gotten clever and thus the odds of getting in are just as good as ever, i severly doubt 25% of people have reach what might be described as "oxbridge standard" as oppossed to last year. It could well be people being pushed into applying by their schools, i know some were at my school.
People are beginning to realise that they have what it takes to apply to Oxbridge. This is due, in the main, to increased awareness because of access initiatives. There has always been many thousands of students who are of both the necessary potential and academic standard but would not have considered it.
Oxbridge has been thus far, self selecting, which was also limiting and this is why the average applicant/place ratio has historically been approx. 3/1. There will now be a big leap in applicants to places and we may see what is the situation in other top unis, i.e. 10/1 eventually!
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by UnregisteredP)
People are beginning to realise that they have what it takes to apply to Oxbridge. This is due, in the main, to increased awareness because of access initiatives. There has always been many thousands of students who are of both the necessary potential and academic standard but would not have considered it.
Oxbridge has been thus far, self selecting, which was also limiting and this is why the average applicant/place ratio has historically been approx. 3/1. There will now be a big leap in applicants to places and we may see what is the situation in other top unis, i.e. 10/1 eventually!
The reason why other higher unis haev 10/1 is obvious.

If we imagine each uni having a sphere of influence, universities like Oxbridge only have a mostly A-grade sphere of influence, whereas other unis have an influence from alll A-grades down to B/C grades, thus explaining why more people apply.
Unregistered11
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
The reason why other higher unis haev 10/1 is obvious.

If we imagine each uni having a sphere of influence, universities like Oxbridge only have a mostly A-grade sphere of influence, whereas other unis have an influence from alll A-grades down to B/C grades, thus explaining why more people apply.
But lots of applicants to Oxbridge have only AAB offers, same as other unis.
I can appreciate that anyone applying to Cambridge at this moment would not want to consider the possibility that there may be many more applicants for the same number of places (Ox/Cam are not expanding) but this will be an ongoing feature in applying for subsequent years as well.
Best bet is to apply for subjects with least number of applicants, like Classics or Arch/Anth, if you like 'em of course!
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered11)
But lots of applicants to Oxbridge have only AAB offers, same as other unis.
I can appreciate that anyone applying to Cambridge at this moment would not want to consider the possibility that there may be many more applicants for the same number of places (Ox/Cam are not expanding) but this will be an ongoing feature in applying for subsequent years as well.
Best bet is to apply for subjects with least number of applicants, like Classics or Arch/Anth, if you like 'em of course!

However, i'm not saying the standard of offer is higher, just that the standard of applicant tends to be....
Bumblebee3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Allotriophagy)
In what way do they benefit, exactly?

a.
If candidates go up for interviews with a competitive attitude they get panicked because they compare themselves with other candidates and feel insecure. They go into interviews and express opinions that they believe the interviewer wants to hear, based on the converations they've had with other candidates. Not that they necessarily copy ideas, but rather a style that in fact hampers their individual approach.

Admissions people complain about how competative students are panicked, insecure and sometimes plain arrogant in interviews, all of which are off-putting. As I said, a candidate will usually have a better chance if they concentrate on a personal approach and try to forget the competitive aspect.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I have just read in Guardian Education online that Cambridge has had a 25% increase in number of applications this year!
Also that there has beeen a surge in the numbers applying to unis for Medicine and Dentistry. The explanation is that with the forecast of swingeing increase in top-up fees, students are applying before 2006 deadline because of the 6 year course length.
No, it's just that there are more people getting straight As these days. I'm predicted like ABB but with the high competition for places, I stand no chance of doing courses like Maths at the top London unis.
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered11)
Unfortunately for Classics applicants like me applications are up by a third this year according to an article in The Times... apparently something to do with the trendification of the subject.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Unfortunately for Classics applicants like me applications are up by a third this year according to an article in The Times... apparently something to do with the trendification of the subject.
I don't know where the newspapers are getting these "facts" from unless they're being leaked from within oxbridge. UCAS don't release information on changes in applications for uni's or subjects until February, the only stats released so far give the bulk change in apps for oxford + cambridge (ie it's not split out and the 25% rumour is either a lie or indicates a 24% drop for oxford) and change in apps for medicine, vetinary science and dentistry.
UnregisteredP
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I don't know where the newspapers are getting these "facts" from unless they're being leaked from within oxbridge. UCAS don't release information on changes in applications for uni's or subjects until February, the only stats released so far give the bulk change in apps for oxford + cambridge (ie it's not split out and the 25% rumour is either a lie or indicates a 24% drop for oxford) and change in apps for medicine, vetinary science and dentistry.
It would seem obvious that UCAS can't "officially" give number increases until after January 15, the deadline for applications but I remember reading recently (on BBC news online, I think) that UCAS has said there has been an increase in applications thus far from same period last year. UCAS would know by now whether there had been an appreciable increase in Oxbridge applicantions/Denistry/Medicine because of 15th October cutoff.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It would seem obvious that UCAS can't "officially" give number increases until after January 15, the deadline for applications but I remember reading recently (on BBC news online, I think) that UCAS has said there has been an increase in applications thus far from same period last year. UCAS would know by now whether there had been an appreciable increase in Oxbridge applicantions/Denistry/Medicine because of 15th October cutoff.
Yes as I said - some limited information has been released by UCAS. Specifically this - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/new/press/news071103.html

You'll notice it contains (as I said) the change in apps for oxbridge as a whole and the change in apps for med/vet/dentistry. It does NOT contain information for cambridge and oxford seperately (and using the combined stats it's possible to see that a 25% rise for cam would mean a 24% drop for ox - unlikely to say the least) and it does NOT include information for other subjects such as classics.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (78)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (159)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.94%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.01%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.36%
An in-person event when available (154)
23.51%