Oxford Brookes University or Nottingham Trent University Watch

Jeremy Potter
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I planned to further my first degree at one of these two universities..but i am confused which to choose!!

1. oxford brookes university
2. nottingham trent university

may i know:
-which university and business school have higher reputation?
-which university is more famous in accounting and finance??
-which uni will u choose if u only be given these two choices??why??
-which uni is more famous among students??

NOTTINGHAM TRENT OR OXFORD BROOKES??

any suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated.
thank you in advance
Jeremy Potter
desperately need some advises...
slevien1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jeremy Potter)
desperately need some advises...
The 2008 league tables say that Oxford Brookes is ranked 40th for business and Nott trent is ranked 48th.. so theres not much in it with regards to the course. Both universities have improved dramatically over the last few years.. and i think they are both equal in terms of what you are looking for.
slevien1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ps it is business that you want to study, right?
Jeremy Potter
(Original post by slevien1)
ps it is business that you want to study, right?
i will be studying accounting and finance..which university will you choose if u only be given 2 choices??
OBU has higher ranking than NTU but i heard some of my friends said that Oxford Brookes has very dull, old and hideous campuses whereas Nottingham trent has nice and beautiful campuses..is it true??
furthermore, they also said that OB's business school is based on wheatley while nt's business school is based on city campus..so, it is better to go for NTU..should i listen to them?
dino1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure, but I think Nottingham Trent is famous for having one of the highest (or if not the highest) rates of getting their students into employment.
slevien1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i will be studying accounting and finance..which university will you choose if u only be given 2 choices??
OBU has higher ranking than NTU but i heard some of my friends said that Oxford Brookes has very dull, old and hideous campuses whereas Nottingham trent has nice and beautiful campuses..is it true??
furthermore, they also said that OB's business school is based on wheatley while nt's business school is based on city campus..so, it is better to go for NTU..should i listen to them?
No, you shouldn't listen to them.. I would recommend that you visit both of the universities, so you can see for yourself what they are really like and whether you feel 'it's right' for you. I am not really familiar with Nottingham Trent and Oxford Brookes, but you need to also decide whether you want to be based on a campus based university, or not. There are both advantages and disadvantages for both.. but again, you need to see for yourself.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
have you actyally been to visit them?

go nottigham trent if you want to be raped..
Rosaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oxford Brookes is better for Business.
Nick_000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you are serious about either university then you really need to visit both campuses yourself.

You will be spending the next 3/4 years there so to base your decision on hearsay and conjecture would be a highly unwise thing to do.

By all means take note of league tables, reviews of the university and even friends opinions (although I advise you not to place too much emphasise on the latter).

None of the above will substitute actually visiting the Uni yourself and speaking to staff and other prospective students.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Welll, there's the off chance that employers will think that Oxford Brookes is actually good and a part of Oxford, so go there :yes:
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I prefer Oxford to Nottingham, but that's just a personal preference. Oxford is pretty and sleepy, with with a good nightlife vibe if you are open-minded and like to explore. Brookes Business is at the Wheatley Campus, which is hideous and just beyond the outskirts of the city. There is a free bus to and from the campus for Brookes students. A good friend of mine graduated with a 2:1 in Business and IT from Brookes and works as a tax consultant for EY in Reading earning good money (enough to buy a flat in Surrey, get married and get a brand new car every 3 years). But one story about some guy you don't know isn't exactly evidence of what you can expect at Brookes or as a Brookes graduate.
xzoe18x
Report 10 years ago
I planned to further my first degree at one of these two universities..but i am confused which to choose!!

1. oxford brookes university
2. nottingham trent university

may i know:
-which university and business school have higher reputation?
-which university is more famous in accounting and finance??
-which uni will u choose if u only be given these two choices??why??
-which uni is more famous among students??

NOTTINGHAM TRENT OR OXFORD BROOKES??

any suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated.
thank you in advance
Oxford Brookes probs has a better rep overall than Trent, but am from Nottingham and im goin to Trent in October 09, so am gonna be bias and say Trent! Plus I think accountin and finance is the business school and when I went the open day (am doin a Business course) the Business school has a good rep! And if u want good nightlife Notts is the place 2 be! :)
xzoe18x
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dino1)
I'm not sure, but I think Nottingham Trent is famous for having one of the highest (or if not the highest) rates of getting their students into employment.
Yea Trent has a really good rep for employment of graduates and has lots of placement opportunities!
xzoe18x
Report 10 years ago
I dont know anythin bout Oxford Brookes but am goin Trent this year to study Business and the city campus where the Business school is, is right in city centre! :)
Jeremy Potter
oh..thank you for all the replies..it seems like both OBU is more popular among NTU right people??
27Charlie27
Report 10 years ago
Ohno, i would say NTU all the way. Oxford brookes is all fine and dandy, both UNI's are ranked about the same in 2008 but brookes students tend to be lazier, less motivated and lecturers are less likely to help you.. So i've heard. Very high employment rate at Trent, infact it think may be the highest?? Also i visted nottingham few weeks ago, outstanding nightlife, i'm heading to Trent in October ! Anywho go visit both of them just so you get a feel of them, it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
xzoe18x
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 27Charlie27)
Ohno, i would say NTU all the way. Oxford brookes is all fine and dandy, both UNI's are ranked about the same in 2008 but brookes students tend to be lazier, less motivated and lecturers are less likely to help you.. So i've heard. Very high employment rate at Trent, infact it think may be the highest?? Also i visted nottingham few weeks ago, outstanding nightlife, i'm heading to Trent in October :)! Anywho go visit both of them just so you get a feel of them, it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
Yea nightlife in Nottingham is soooooo good! :)
And yea NTU has the one of the highest rates of employment, above uni's like Nottingham, both Manchester uni's, both Leeds uni's etc.. we got told at the open day!
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ohno, i would say NTU all the way. Oxford brookes is all fine and dandy, both UNI's are ranked about the same in 2008 but brookes students tend to be lazier.
This is the first time I've ever heard of this, and can safely say that my experience completely contradicts such claims.

Student satisfaction scores for Brookes were a LOT higher than Trent's (in fact, Trent is one of the worst in the country). This means that Trent 3rd year students are some of the least happiest students in the UK (with their university courses, lecturers etc).

Further, not only are entry standards higher for Brookes, but Brookes students are awarded more 2:1 and 1st class honours than Trent students. Whilst these measures are not measures of laziness, they do imply that Brookes students do better at A-level and on their degree course than Trent students.

I don't have problem with Trent (in fact, I think it's a wonderful place to study), but to say that Brookes students are lazier, and have problems with staff, flies in the face of the current performance measures and, in my opinion, is utterly false (especially when it is contrasted with Trent)
Jeremy Potter
Ohno, i would say NTU all the way. Oxford brookes is all fine and dandy, both UNI's are ranked about the same in 2008 but brookes students tend to be lazier, less motivated and lecturers are less likely to help you.. So i've heard. Very high employment rate at Trent, infact it think may be the highest?? Also i visted nottingham few weeks ago, outstanding nightlife, i'm heading to Trent in October ! Anywho go visit both of them just so you get a feel of them, it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
u went to see the campus?? can u tell me how exactly is it?? is it suitable for us to study?? how is the student there?? and how is the conditions and environment around the university??
sorry..if u think i am asking many questions..:tongue:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads