The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sakarra
Not too much of a problem. Never really like British lifestyle much anyway.

But I agree that living there for a short while with a work visa first is probably preferable. Just so I got a feel for what it will be like to live and work there as a citizen rather than a tourist.

A girl from my 6th Form is now at Yale... she'll have just finished her second year now.
From what I heard, the thing that shocked her most was the complete juxtaposition of circumstances. Being at Yale, it's a top uni, blah blah, very fancy/wealthy area, etc etc. However, she said that the minute you get outside the university grounds etc, you're in the ghetto - and according to her, it's a hell of a lot worse than any council estate she's seen over here. That really shocked her... and this girl isn't some ditz with her head in the clouds either.

Another thing to mention, if there's ANY sort of problem with your visa, Immigration will come down on you like a ton of bricks. One guy I know was on tour with his band, and went over to play in Chicago. There was a slight problem with their visa, and they were brought in for questioning. Apparently, during this questioning, they were also asked if they were/had any intention of being/had any affiliation with/might help communists. :woo:
BenjyUK
Anyone have any experience of moving to US from UK WITH an american passport? Something I'm definitely going to do after University..

Also interested in opinions of places to live :smile:

If you have an American Passport you are a US Citizen I would assume. So you can just get on the plane and go.
Reply 42
donuticus
If you have an American Passport you are a US Citizen I would assume. So you can just get on the plane and go.

Yeha yeah of course, but I meant in terms of living rather than getting in! Thanks for replying though...
dunno, but personally, I wouldnt want to move to the USA, the UK is bad enough at times, wouldnt wanna move somewhere even worse.
generic hybrid
find someone to marry while you're there.

He's probably best going to Thailand to find an instant bride :P
AidanLunn
He's probably best going to Thailand to find an instant bride :P

great, then he'd get thai citizenship!
Sakarra
Ok well i've basically had enough of the UK - the terrible weather, high living costs, high crime rates and obnoxious people.

Lol you are fed up of the high crime rates and yet you want to move to America?

:facepalm:
If I ever moved abroad it would either to the US or Australia.

In the US I would go to somewhere with pretty good weather.

Anyway back to the point, a good mate of mine moved to New York with his mother when he was about 12 or 13. His mother wanted a better life for herself and her son, but she had had enough of life in Cape Town, South Africa where they are both from.

Anyway so they moved there, and now my mate is 24 years old and he only got his green card in the last couple of years. That's after 9 or so years of living there.

You can get it in less time, I know someone who got a green card within 3 years or so.

It really depends.

I would reccomend either looking online or perhaps even going to see someone at the American embassy.
Reply 48
I'm hoping to live in Mexico Missouri and I'm a fully qualified chef would I get a good chance of gaining employment and getting a sponsor ?
Reply 49
Great thread (though wrong section), i'd love to move to New York or California.
Original post by cparish
I'm hoping to live in Mexico Missouri and I'm a fully qualified chef would I get a good chance of gaining employment and getting a sponsor ?

You could have just started a new thread rather than reviving one from over three years ago.
Reply 51
its extremely tough for anyone from europe who plays by the rules.

there was show on its i think couple of years ago who followed brits who moved to the US. one british man actually opened up a successful business and had multiple employees but still it was not good enough -- he was struggling to get a permanent visa ( or whatever they are called in america ) and his family had to go back to the UK. i was quite angry at how they were treated.

its a shame that the US treats actual hardworking immigrants like this way while all of its focus is on the illegals and the asylum cases from the third world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Another option that occurs is to get a Canadian visa. From there it's a train ride into the USA (if your in the north east) and would be much easier to find somebody or a company willing to sponsor you.
Reply 53
Original post by Sakarra
Ok well i've basically had enough of the UK - the terrible weather, high living costs, high crime rates and obnoxious people.

Ive always dreamed of moving to America, more specifically San Francisco.
I'm 19 and in my first year of uni studying Business management.

Problem is I dont really know anything about how eligible I am or the criteria they look for when selecting people. Do they look at qualifications, particular skills and financial status? Or something more?

I was thinking of getting my degree and saving up enough to buy a house (they're a lot cheaper in America right?) So planning on moving there once i'm about 25.

Business Management is a crap course regardless of the university, nobody needs another business manager in the US.
British people don't get any special preference, so go to http://www.uscis.gov
Original post by Sakarra

Ive always dreamed of moving to America, more specifically San Francisco.
I'm 19 and in my first year of uni studying Business management.

Problem is I dont really know anything about how eligible I am or the criteria they look for when selecting people. Do they look at qualifications, particular skills and financial status? Or something more?

I was thinking of getting my degree and saving up enough to buy a house (they're a lot cheaper in America right?) So planning on moving there once i'm about 25.

I wanna move to america myself! I currently live in the uk and im only 16... Ive left school but i dont go to college or sixth form i just work... I really want to move in with my Aunt who lives in San diego ... But i have no idea how im going to get there😣 its so hard.
Can you go to america to find work? I am 29 and last time i was employed was when i was 16. Ive had jobs on and off but nothing to write home about. The uk has very little work. it also seems that its easier to drive and have a house there but almost impossible in the uk
The US looks like **** to me, first world economy, third world cities.
This thread was created almost 6 years ago, so I'm going to lock it and suggest that if anyone wants to continue discussing this topic, they create a new thread in the Travel forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending