The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It is because alot of the Kings students on here have an inflated opinion of the university. Dont get me wrong, it is very good and i personally think it is in the top 15 definately, it is just that alot of Kings students think it's without a doubt a 'top 10' and as good as UCL, and Bristol, York, Nottingham, e.t.c - and when they do they give no evidence that is as good as these and criticise people who say its not. They base it on international rankings which we all know are rubbish and biased towards London uni's (come on Imperial 5th) - and it has only ranked in the UK top 10 like 4 times or something. To be honest if Kings wants to be as good as the aforementioned it has to become more hard to get into generally, not just for law, medicine and the like (it is doing this but it has a way to go yet).

BTW, it has only really started to rank better because it has done better than its competitors in student satisfaction.
Reply 21
jy9626
Some Nottingham students claim it's Cardiff, Royal Holloway-class.

It's because they go to Nottingham and probably got rejected at Kings. :tongue:

Only kiddin', but I do think Notts and Kings are on par, or at most Kings is higher rated. :dontknow: I'm not wise on all subjects, but I'd much rather go to Kings to do medicine than Notts. They're both very good institutions though and I don't see how Nottingham students think that Kings is rated lower than their own.
Reply 22
It's not (and it's obvious you weren't around during the late summer when all the G6 nonsense was going on). There's always been a rivalry with UCL. Some of it good natured, some quite snobby. "Strand poly" and all that. But it doesn't receive much "hate" and certainly doesn't receive the vitriol that new universities or even non-"top twenty" unis do. Must recognise it as the very good uni it is, especially in some of the humanities, law and medical sciences.

I know people don't salivate all over it like they do with universities that are arguably as strong like Manchester but then there's always been popular universities and it's Manchester's turn at the moment (at TSR anyway).
Reply 23
shockcat
'Strand Polytechnic' also known as Kings

I didn't know that. Isn't a polytechnic supposed to be a university that specializes in sciences and engineering, etc? correct me if im wrong.
Reply 24
It's an excellent university. I rejected it and chose Nottingham, but KCL is still a first rate university.
What was all this G6 malarkey anyway?
Reply 26
necessarily benevolent
Definitely this.

I mean:

UCL

KCL

Next year, I will go past that and laugh frequently, to feed my own ego.

It kind of looks like a seedy solicitor's office.
Reply 27
jy9626
I didn't know that. Isn't a polytechnic supposed to be a university that specializes in sciences and engineering, etc? correct me if im wrong.

Its the derogatory name by which other London students refer to Kings by.

(*spits on ground* after uttering it's name)
Reply 28
jy9626
Some Nottingham students claim it's Cardiff, Royal Holloway-class.

By some you probably mean two (students/graduates). I'm not saying it is in the same class as Cardiff but, if it is, I don't think that's really an insult. Cardiff's still a fine university.

It's a very good university indeed but not great and possibly not as strong as those it outranks in the world rankings (which are biased towards London and large unis).

In the end, it's TSR. Why care?
Reply 29
shockcat
Its the derogatory name by which other London students refer to Kings by.

(*spits on ground* after uttering it's name)

Is 'Ecole polytechnic' in France also regarded as a low-class university?
Reply 30
jy9626

A polytechnic was an institution that taught largely vocational subjects like teaching, nursing, archiecture etc. (altough many taught academic subjects too). They didn't award their own degrees but, in 1992, they were given degree awarding powers (and therefore university status).

"Strand poly" is a deregotary term. Some use it good naturedly, some do not.
Reply 31
I genuinely thought that they were rated similarly, it was just that UCL students waggled their (rightfully :tongue:) superior arses in the direction of King's.

Obviously not :tongue:
Reply 32
jy9626

Of course not, 'Ecole polytechnic' is a very respectable institute!

Polytechnic (at least in this country) conjures up images of destitute, inner city, state funded 'centres of learning'.
Reply 33
River85
By some you probably mean two (students/graduates). I'm not saying it is in the same class as Cardiff but, if it is, I don't think that's really an insult. Cardiff's still a fine university.

It's a very good university indeed but not great and possibly not as strong as those it outranks in the world rankings (which are biased towards London and large unis).

In the end, it's TSR. Why care?

Yeah, i shouldn't care much, actually. But some of their comments bother me and get on my nerves sometimes. They make my university decision difficult. (I mean, Bristol, Warwick and King's. which one should i choose for Law?)
Reply 34
jy9626

Polytechnics were a completely different thing in this country.
Reply 35
shockcat
Of course not, 'Ecole polytechnic' is a very respectable institute!

Polytechnic (at least in this country) conjures up images of destitute, inner city, state funded 'centres of learning'.

oh alright. (but i thought king's was established by King George III and Duke of Wellington, hence King's college...)
Reply 36
Jessaay!
It's because they go to Nottingham and probably got rejected at Kings. :tongue:

Only kiddin', but I do think Notts and Kings are on par, or at most Kings is higher rated. :dontknow: I'm not wise on all subjects, but I'd much rather go to Kings to do medicine than Notts. They're both very good institutions though and I don't see how Nottingham students think that Kings is rated lower than their own.

Thats what I was thinking. I would say KCL is quite clearly ahead of Nottingham so I don't know why Nottingham students feel they can say anything negative towards KCL :s

I've always thought of KCL as a very good University. Not as strong as UCL but not to far away! Durham is better than KCL but again the difference is minimal. I doubt there is anything in it realistically between KCL/Durham just Durham might have the slight upper hand academically. Durham is an established Top 10 University where KCL is more of a Top 15.

Must of all got rejected! :biggrin:
I mean KCL aren't even in the G5. :tongue: Golden Triangle misfits. I propose they be thrown out. :ninja:
Reply 38
abdom0n
Thats what I was thinking. I would say KCL is slightly ahead of Nottingham so I don't know why Nottingham students feel they can say anything negative towards KCL :s

I've always thought of KCL as a very good University. Not as strong as UCL but not to far away!

Must of all got rejected! :biggrin:

When I applied KCL did not carry the same prestige as Nottingham. Nottingham had much higher entry standards and was described by the Times as 'a leading alternative to Oxbridge'.

The popularity of universities shifts, and Nottingham's seemed to have diminished a tad recently. I was urged by everyone I knew to put KCL as my insurance and Notts as my firm, which I did. If I were to apply again today (4 years later), I'm not so sure that there would be such a pro-Notts bias.
If King's is hated so much on TSR I'd hate to think about other universities like Hull, Queen Mary etc are like.

Latest

Trending

Trending