The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Jessaay!
Next year, I will go past that and laugh frequently, to feed my own ego.

It kind of looks like a seedy solicitor's office.

Hahahahahaha! Same here :biggrin:

Very true about it looking like a seedy solicitor's office too. Lol!
Reply 41
because they couldn't get in duh :troll:
King's rules
abdom0n
Thats what I was thinking. I would say KCL is quite clearly ahead of Nottingham so I don't know why Nottingham students feel they can say anything negative towards KCL :s

I've always thought of KCL as a very good University. Not as strong as UCL but not to far away! Durham is better than KCL but again the difference is minimal. I doubt there is anything in it realistically between KCL/Durham just Durham might have the slight upper hand academically. Durham is an established Top 10 University where KCL is more of a Top 15.

Must of all got rejected! :biggrin:

Says the person who officially hates Nottingham. Again the conjecture of 'KCL is quite clearly ahead of Nottingham' which out evidence is utter tripe.

Oh i know one reason Nottingham students can diss Kings - its easy to get into (it has always had very average entry standards). I dont know one person at Nottingham that got rejected by Kings for anything, and i mean everything. Oh here's another - it averagly ranks better. Stop me because i could go on all night and the reaosn why Notts is better than Kings has been done to death by many people.

Trust me every Nottingham student thinks it is better than Kings - if they thought Kings was better then they would have gone there - i doubt all Kings students think the same.
Reply 43
timelordess
King's is really underrated academically. I would say that the course I applied for is on a par with similar ones at Oxbridge.

Yeah, I don't know why King's is so hated. It also has a reputation as a bit of a party uni. When my English teacher heard that I was applying, she made a point of telling me that her brother went there and that no one seemed to do much work. :s-smilie:

i would say OVER-rated..
Kings isnt hated, its just that Wollsmoth gave it a bad name by calling it a G6 university and all that malarky. In all honesty, its a solid university, probably around the 13-15 mark in most people opinions. Nevertheless, there are some Kings students on here who like to think it is top ten, when it has averaged a ranking of 15th over the years in all the respective league table. Also, as someone said above, its never been as 'selective' as some other universities that rank just ahead of it, so gets a hit of stick for that, and a few years ago it used to rank a lot worse than it does now (17-20) mark. Still, it is always a good choice as it sounds quite good to the layman on the street, especially for certain subjects

People just find it a bit lame at how it tries to cling on to the coat tales of the G5 universities
Reply 45
AfghanistanBananistan
Says the person who officially hates Nottingham. Again the conjecture of 'KCL is quite clearly ahead of Nottingham' which out evidence is utter tripe.

Oh i know one reason Nottingham students can diss Kings - its easy to get into (it has always had very average entry standards). I dont know one person at Nottingham that got rejected by Kings for anything, and i mean everything. Oh here's another - it averagly ranks better. Stop me because i could go on all night and the reaosn why Notts is better than Kings has been done to death by many people.

Trust me every Nottingham student thinks it is better than Kings - if they thought Kings was better then they would have gone there - i doubt all Kings students think the same.

low entry standards, yet highly ranked by various institutions and is recognized for excellent teaching (e.g. one of the highest bar passing rate for Law. even higher than UCL's and LSE's) - This shows that King's turns less 'smart' or talented students into world leaders. what's so bad about it?
Reply 46
AfghanistanBananistan

I don't hate Nottingham at all. You along with Broadsword just paint a very biased and misguided interpretation of Nottingham uni. And have a bad habit of slamming any other university in a 'X VS Nottingham' thread on here with unjustified 'facts' which you make up on the spot. Oh an just for the record Kings is actually slightly more competitive than Nottingham by a very tiny margin(real world they are practically the same).

The entry tariff for Kings is 406, and for Nottingham it is 403 which is identical to Sheffield/Birmingham. I know for subjects like Law Kings is up there with the best of them as well as Nottingham, and has a solid international reputation as a leading University of London college. King's also performed better in the latest RAE exercise, and scored higher teaching scores in the last QAA tests. I can't see any evidence to suggest why Nottingham is better but again they are extremely close.
Reply 47
Broadsword
Kings isnt hated, its just that Wollsmoth gave it a bad name by calling it a G6 university and all that malarky. In all honesty, its a solid university, probably around the 13-15 mark in most people opinions. Nevertheless, there are some Kings students on here who like to think it is top ten, when it has averaged a ranking of 15th over the years in all the respective league table. Also, as someone said above, its never been as 'selective' as some other universities that rank just ahead of it, so gets a hit of stick for that, and a few years ago it used to rank a lot worse than it does now (17-20) mark. Still, it is always a good choice as it sounds quite good to the layman on the street, especially for certain subjects

People just find it a bit lame at how it tries to cling on to the coat tales of the G6 universities

What the hell is G6 anyway? I've never heard of that.
Reply 48
jy9626
What the hell is G6 anyway? I've never heard of that.

It was created last summer by a now banned member (a troll) to descibe the G5 plus KCL. So he spent all of late summer trolling the forums with "G6" talk and how he was going to to study economics at KCL (even though they don't offer it).

Someone who's probably best forgotten and left as a memory. There is a real G6, but that's not really relevant (and refers to colleges, not universities)
Reply 49
River85
It was created last summer by a now banned member (a troll) to descibe the G5 plus KCL. So he spent all of late summer trolling the forums with "G6" talk and how he was going to to study economics at KCL (even though they don't offer it).

Someone who's probably best forgotten and left as a memory. There is a real G6, but that's not really relevant (and refers to colleges, not universities)

Must have been a crazy/out of his mind guy. Why would he have done that when King's doesn't even have econ? I think people who took him seriously were dumb as well though.
King's is the best!! :woo:
Reply 51
jy9626
Why would he have done that when King's doesn't even have econ?

Because he was trolling (it's what trolls do) and, because of that, no one did take him seriously.
River85

Way to sell out the 'smoth...pretending like you had no feelings for him! :haughty:

I wasn't aware KCL was hated on TSR, I thought it was held in high regard actually. Then again does it really matter? We all know it's a great university, so why should someone else's personal opinion change that?
abdom0n
I don't hate Nottingham at all. You along with Broadsword just paint a very biased and misguided interpretation of Nottingham uni. And have a bad habit of slamming any other university in a 'X VS Nottingham' thread on here with unjustified 'facts' which you make up on the spot. Oh an just for the record Kings is actually slightly more competitive than Nottingham by a very tiny margin(real world they are practically the same).

The entry tariff for Kings is 406, and for Nottingham it is 403 which is identical to Sheffield/Birmingham. I know for subjects like Law Kings is up there with the best of them as well as Nottingham, and has a solid international reputation as a leading University of London college. King's also performed better in the latest RAE exercise, and scored higher teaching scores in the last QAA tests. I can't see any evidence to suggest why Nottingham is better but again they are extremely close.

I have one thing to say. Kings' 406 tariff is the highest it has ever had, whereas Nottingham's 403 is the lowest it has ever had. If you look into this you will see i am right.

For research there are two rankings - an overall one which doesn't take into account the size of the university and 'research power' one that does. For the first one Kings beats Notts by 2 places, hands down i admit that - but according to reports the research power indicator is a better reflection and more respected in academia, and Notts was 7th and comfortably beat Kings -therefore i call that a tie.

Dont get me wrong, i do respect Kings alot, and at the moment it is doing very well for itself and did well in the RAE, and is ranking better and getting better entry standards. All im saying is that Kings students shouldnt get ahead of themselves and should look at the bigger picture. Its tariff may beat Notts' this year, but it has still never been in the top 10 for tariff ever, so it still has a way to go before it is elite in that sense. Whereas Nottingham has only ever been out of the top 10 for tariff twice. You will see i am right if you look those up.

As i said, if kings carries on they way it is, then yes it will keep going from strength to strength, it's just that it cannot lay claim to being a top 10ish univeristy yet. Nottingham can (albeit i will be the first to admit that it has fallen out of this bracket) - but it can lay claim to to being top 10 more than Kings,

Look at wikipedia, someone has put all the rankings ever on there. Nottinghams average rank is 11th over the last 15 years (dragged down by recent rankings), whereas Kings is 15th - this is what im getting at. If kings continues to rank better than this then it will go up in my estimations, but its rise is too sudden to lay claim to anything.

I dont just diss all other universities in a X v Nottingham thread. If it were Warwick v Nottingham , or Durham v Nottingham - i would admit that these two beat Notts in most things and can lay claim to being better - it is just those Kings, Loughborough, Sheffield, ones where peoples claims that these are better are often based on nothing but conjecture, with no evidence.
Reply 54
Democracy
Way to sell out the 'smoth...pretending like you had no feelings for him! :haughty:

I wasn't aware KCL was hated on TSR, I thought it was held in high regard actually. Then again does it really matter? We all know it's a great university, so why should someone else's personal opinion change that?

I know. But it's just annoying when it gets compared to Cardiff or Royal Holloway by people from unis that aren't really better than king's.
Reply 55
This is just my opinion, I don't really know a lot, I'll admit, but I think on TSR the london unis are generally slightly overrated, except maybe lse and imperial(which I feel are world class).
But yeah, I think King's isn't really any distance behind UCL, but I'd rank it the same as Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Edinburgh, and quite a lot of others.
jy9626
I know. But it's just annoying when it gets compared to Cardiff or Royal Holloway by people from unis that aren't really better than king's.

Both those unis are great too...I don't see why a KCLer should be offended by being compared to RHUL or Cardiff...
Reply 57
Democracy
Both those unis are great too...I don't see why a KCLer should be offended by being compared to RHUL or Cardiff...

maybe Cardiff doesn't really offend me. well i like Cardiff, because i like the city.
But RHUL??? People usually refer to UCL, King's, LSE, Imperial as London big 4, don't they?
Reply 58
Democracy

Exactly, especially as it's not significantly stronger than those unis (certainly not stronger than Cardiff). KCL isn't exactly in a league of its own when compared with Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Cardiff..... Yes, some of their departments are much stronger. Overall, in terms of research and teaching quality across the board it's not a great deal better (if at all). All are very good unis indeed.
In all fairness, Kings is generally better than both Cardiff and Royal Holloway, and trust me who ever said that it is not is very much in the minority.

Latest

Trending

Trending