Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    How can you "feel" how long your life is? I don't get it! :confused:
    Well what i mean is: if you don't sense anything before birth and after death, how long does it "feel" to you the time you have in life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Yes

But which in itself is meaningless.
    So what if it is meaningless, it is what happened and has been proved scientifically. That's the point, there is no real reason, no afterlife, no god. It's just the way it is.

Life could have very easily have not formed in our solar system in which case we would not have ever existed - so think yourself lucky lol

Right listen. Alll we are is matter. Matter does not have a consciouss morality. There is no reason why there should be a meaning for our existence. We only think there has to be be a meaning because it makes us feel 'safer' and 'more comfortable' with death etc. There is NO meaning to life. None at all. We just ARE in existence end of story, there is no meaning for us being here. The same amount of meaning for the sun existing. There is none, it just 'IS'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king of swords)
    Well what i mean is: if you don't sense anything before birth and after death, how long does it "feel" to you the time you have in life?
    You should know - your alive arn't you? How do you feel?

ReputationRep:
    The time you are actually live!!! 80 odd years or whatever? Nevermind. You lost me.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to answer because it's like asking....do you remember what it was like before you were born?
    Exactly, that's why it always bugs me from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just 'IS')
    Right listen. Alll we are is matter. Matter does not have a consciouss morality. There is no reason why there should be a meaning for our existence. We only think there has to be be a meaning because it makes us feel 'safer' and 'more comfortable' with death etc. There is NO meaning to life. None at all. We just ARE in existence end of story, there is no meaning for us being here. The same amount of meaning for the sun existing. There is none, it just 'IS'.
    yep - and if you dont like it then you can......well....i dont know what you can do but thats the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree, but this kind of matter (human beings) IS conscious. We are the only parts of the universe that we know so far who are self-aware. Maybe that separates us from other matter? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    If God's listening, I'd be careful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    If God's listening, I'd be careful...
    LOL!! It would be silly if He was...there are far better, more useful things He could be listening to.

ReputationRep:
    LOL!! It would be silly if He was...there are far better, more useful things He could be listening to.
    He sees all, hears all

ReputationRep:
    pray and god willing HE will answer your call

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree, but this kind of matter (human beings) IS conscious. We are the only parts of the universe that we know so far who are self-aware. Maybe that separates us from other matter? I don't know.
    No our 'matter' isn't conscious - it is highly organised (through evolution). YOU or YOUR SOUL or whatever is just a load of chemical reactions going on in your brain. It is all explainable through physics, chemistry and biology. At the simiplist levels there isnt anything special going on in the brain just loads of reastions etc. When brain dies, YOU die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    No our 'matter' isn't conscious - it is highly organised (through evolution). YOU or YOUR SOUL or whatever is just a load of chemical reactions going on in your brain. It is all explainable through physics, chemistry and biology. At the simiplist levels there isnt anything special going on in the brain just loads of reastions etc. When brain dies, YOU die.
    Well, you need to look up what conscious means because we obviously seem to have different concepts of it.

I do agree, however, that we die when the brain dies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    He sees all, hears all
    He doesn't seem to. :rolleyes: Sorry that might be a tad controversial! eeeek...I hope Saeed isn't around.

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't seem to. :rolleyes: Sorry that might be a tad controversial! eeeek...I hope Saeed isn't around.
    Sadly that seems to be the case, esp. with the situation in Saudi at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was going to say, instead of worrying whether God heard this, be more worried if a religious person came along...i apologise to everyone on behalf of these miscreants

ReputationRep:
    ok i started this all lol ,. we will only find out when we die. to believe or not to believe....... at the end of the day its yur choise

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was going to say, instead of worrying whether God heard this, be more worried if a religious person came along...i apologise to everyone on behalf of these miscreants
    Are you calling me a miscreant?!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well, you need to look up what conscious means because we obviously seem to have different concepts of it.

I do agree, however, that we die when the brain dies.
    Well unless you are saying that we have a 'SOUL' - this magical mist that has never been proven, then consciousness is simply the sum of its biological parts that are govened by the laws of physics and comprise of many highly organised chemical reactions. That is what the brain is- fact!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.