Watch
This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Well unless you are saying that we have a 'SOUL' - this magical mist that has never been proven, then consciousness is simply the sum of its biological parts that are govened by the laws of physics and comprise of many highly organised chemical reactions. That is what the brain is- fact!
Of course. I didn't say it is some wishy washy soul - I just said we DO have a consciousness, and it DOES make us unique. Whatever the implications of that, I'll leave to one's own interpretations.

To be self-aware does seem like a funny property of matter, that's all I was saying!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Of course. I didn't say it is some wishy washy soul - I just said we DO have a consciousness, and it DOES make us unique. Whatever the implications of that, I'll leave to one's own interpretations.
Yeah I agree we do have a consciousness and it makes us different from the vast majority of the universe (as far as we know). But the point is, it is still nothing special, we are still made up of all the normal boring matter that makes everything else up, it's just in us it is highly organised - something created by evolution. There is nothing magical or special about us.
You right
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Well unless you are saying that we have a 'SOUL' - this magical mist that has never been proven, then consciousness is simply the sum of its biological parts that are govened by the laws of physics and comprise of many highly organised chemical reactions. That is what the brain is- fact!
Yes you right well said.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah I agree we do have a consciousness and it makes us different from the vast majority of the universe (as far as we know). But the point is, it is still nothing special, we are still made up of all the normal boring matter that makes everything else up, it's just in us it is highly organised - something created by evolution. There is nothing magical or special about us.
Okie dokie!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

To be self-aware does seem like a funny property of matter, that's all I was saying!
What is concioussness? Are we really self-aware? Maybe we aren't fully concious at all, but our brains make us tink we are.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
What is concioussness? Are we really self-aware? Maybe we aren't fully concious at all, but our brains make us tink we are.
Well we HAVE to be...to be made to think that means you're concious in the first place!!!
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well we HAVE to be...to be made to think that means you're concious in the first place!!!
cogito ergo sum.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theone)
cogito ergo sum.
Ah, someone's been reading Descartes
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's not as stupid as it sounds - there have been a growing number of studies that have proven that the brain actually has made the descision before we realise what our descision is. Of course when we realise it, we think it is ours.

I cant remember exactly what they did but they had people hooked up to all this medical equipment monitoring the brain.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's not as stupid as it sounds - there have been a growing number of studies that have proven that the brain actually has made the descision before we realise what our descision is. Of course when we realise it, we think it is ours.

I cant remember exactly what they did but they had people hooked up to all this medical equipment monitoring the brain.
I cannot believe that.
icy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
God! Are people still using the argument that 'we dont look like apes' to 'prove' that the theory of evolution isn't real? When you look at an apes face, we have literally nearly identical facial features (ears, eyes, nose, mouth) all in the same place.
that's a common fallacy.... the apes evolved just as much as we have.... we did NOT evolve from apes.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I cannot believe that.
Well it makes sense - the unconcious part of the brain uses the majority of our 'brainpower'. Everything we see, hear, touch etc is all taken in and processed. These studies (which i am trying to find) showed that the unconcious part of our brains had already done all the reasoning etc before it came into the concious part of the brain.

Also, i saw a program recently that showed how most of the things we see, is actually compiled from memory. Aparently because it takes so much 'power' to process everything we are seeing, the brain just takes in the things we are fousing on etc and makes up the rest of the picture from our memories or what we expect to see. They also performed tests on some uni students that proved that.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by icy)
that's a common fallacy.... the apes evolved just as much as we have.... we did NOT evolve from apes.
Yes humans AND apes evolved from a common ancester (very early on) and we evolved along our seperate paths. We did not evolve from apes.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well it makes sense - the unconcious part of the brain uses the majority of our 'brainpower'. Everything we see, hear, touch etc is all taken in and processed. These studies (which i am trying to find) showed that the unconcious part of our brains had already done all the reasoning etc before it came into the concious part of the brain.

Also, i saw a program recently that showed how most of the things we see, is actually compiled from memory. Aparently because it takes so much 'power' to process everything we are seeing, the brain just takes in the things we are fousing on etc and makes up the rest of the picture from our memories or what we expect to see. They also performed tests on some uni students that proved that.
But whatever's happening, we at least know we exist. Hence we are conscious. Nevermind this now!
Sasha
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fonz)
dont you ppl sumtimes wonder why we are here or if there is some kind of power beond the human? we work, study, eat, sleep etc etc...., but do we ever think about the reason for being on this planet?
just think about it ..........

Dunno bout you I'm from another planet...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Yes humans AND apes evolved from a common ancester (very early on) and we evolved along our seperate paths. We did not evolve from apes.
We didn't evolve from apes anyway, we evolved from chimpanzees. Chimps are our closest common ancestor, we evolved from CHIMPS not APES. And I think we do look like them in a way. Some look more like chimps than others but all humans look a bit like chimps!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
God! Are people still using the argument that 'we dont look like apes' to 'prove' that the theory of evolution isn't real? When you look at an apes face, we have literally nearly identical facial features (ears, eyes, nose, mouth) all in the same place.

Theres also the poular theory that our little finger is getting shorter and shorter because he dont use it. But a monkey does, so they dont really have a little finger - so their's stays the same length. Its all about how we adapt to our environment. Things you need in the jungle are diferent to what you need living in a city.
I totally agree evolution 'evolving' we r not ment to look like apes we just have the same features
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We didn't evolve from apes anyway, we evolved from chimpanzees. Chimps are our closest common ancestor, we evolved from CHIMPS not APES. And I think we do look like them in a way. Some look more like chimps than others but all humans look a bit like chimps!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ MY POSTS PROPERLY UNREG - I SAID WE DID NOT EVOLVE FROM APES. I SAID THAT HUMANS AND APES EVOLVED FROM A COMMON ANCESTOR!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I mean look at these two specimens they are amazingly similar in likeness.

http://www.bushorchimp.com/images/pic08.jpg
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i have loads of books on the subject. we evolved from the wise man. a early human who used stone tipped axes and spears.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (385)
32.11%
No (814)
67.89%

Watched Threads