The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy 2009 (New Specification) Revision Notes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
did anyone do free will and determinism or knowledge of the external world?

i didnt like the b question for free will and determinism, no idea what you were supposed to write tbh, i just rambled :smile:
Reply 181
I did not mention anything about it being a hypothesis but at the end I mentioned it was reasonable as god has not been proved not to exist :s-smilie:
Reply 182
janex
did anyone do free will and determinism or knowledge of the external world?

i didnt like the b question for free will and determinism, no idea what you were supposed to write tbh, i just rambled :smile:

Was that the one about assessing determinism with fatalism? I saw that question and was like "I can answer that!" even though we haven't studied it, but I didn't really know the first question and felt safer doing the ones I knew.

znh
I did not mention anything about it being a hypothesis but at the end I mentioned it was reasonable as god has not been proved not to exist :s-smilie:

Like I said, I think they were looking for a bit of both. Most people in my school did what you did; so I wouldn't worry about it. Remember you only need 50/90 for an A, so there's plenty of room to drop marks :cool:
Reply 183
Same as last time, ran out of time - wrote barely over a page for the last thirty marker.

If the whole 50/90 thing is true then I should make it :smile:
Reply 184
Kneechuh
Like I said, I think they were looking for a bit of both. Most people in my school did what you did; so I wouldn't worry about it. Remember you only need 50/90 for an A, so there's plenty of room to drop marks :cool:

And are you sure about the pass rate :s-smilie: -

A - 80/ 100
160/ 200 for full AS
B - 70/ 100
140/ 200 for full AS

We got a table from college with the pass rates

What did you think of the rest

for the part a) i used soul making and how if there was no pain and suffering people would just become selfish as nothing bad would happen to them and used the free will defence and how evil is an avoidable outcome of free will and if god intervened to remove evil we would never be truely free

b) i just did argument from design using Darwinism

for toleration part a) i said to be tolerant you need to have an opinion and if that opinion is disagreeing with the view being tolerted you may offend others that have the belief and to be truely tolerant you mustt tolerate both of the opposing views, which may offend the lifestyle of others if you tolerate the view they oppose to :s-smilie:

b) i just mentioned arguments for tolerance: mill and fallibility and crit, pragmatism and crit, mill and social progress and crit, conservatism

Do you think that sounds at least passable?

And I put John Mill instead of John Stuart Mill :s-smilie:
Reply 185
lukaefc
Same as last time, ran out of time - wrote barely over a page for the last thirty marker.

If the whole 50/90 thing is true then I should make it :smile:

I did the whole of the last question in 10 minutes, and scribbled my conclusion down in a minute! I honestly can't remember if it made any sense. And yes, 50/90 is true. 64/90 got you 100% UMS last time.

znh
I hope it is ok :s-smilie:

What did you think of the rest

for the part a) i used soul making and how if there was no pain and suffering people would just become selfish as nothing bad would happen to them and used the free will defence and how evil is an avoidable outcome of free will and if god intervened to remove evil we would never be truely free

b) i just did argument from design using Darwinism

for toleration part a) i said to be tolerant you need to have an opinion and if that opinion is disagreeing with the view being tolerted you may offend others that have the belief and to be truely tolerant you mustt tolerate both of the opposing views, which may offend the lifestyle of others if you tolerate the view they oppose to :s-smilie:

b) i just mentioned arguments for tolerance: mill and fallibility and crit, pragmatism and crit, mill and social progress and crit, conservatism

Do you think that sounds at least passable?

And I put John Mill instead of John Stuart Mill :s-smilie:

Some of my friends also put the soul making. I think soul-making was the best answer, but I went with two different things. I said that if there was no pain and suffering, there'd be nothing good to compare it to; and I also said that pain can be good, like when you put your hand in a flame, the pain makes you take it out. This is better than feeling no pain and getting your hand burned off!

For the first tolerance question, I only came up with one example. I said that person A is intolerant and doesn't like gay people. I then said that person B is protesting for gay people (I didn't write it in such crude terms :p: ), and that person A gets offended by person B protesting, but person B isn't being intolerant.

And for the second tolerance question, I think I wrote basically the same as you, except that I forgot the argument from fallibilism!

God, the more i think about it, the worse I seem to have done. Just need 35-ish...

And yes, I'm sure about the pass rate. I'm talking about raw marks here, which then get converted into UMS. 50/90 was Jan09's A grade boundary. If you scored 50/90, you'd get 80 UMS.

source: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN09.PDF
Reply 186
I did the whole of the last question in 10 minutes, and scribbled my conclusion down in a minute! I honestly can't remember if it made any sense. And yes, 50/90 is true. 64/90 got you 100% UMS last time.

Hm if that's the case then I should be ok with an A I hope. I was the same though. Didn't even get a decent conclusion down - was just about to criticise Frankfurt and then add a bit about Sartre and existentialism but my paper was taken off me :frown:
Reply 187
Kneechuh

Some of my friends also put the soul making. I think soul-making was the best answer, but I went with two different things. I said that if there was no pain and suffering, there'd be nothing good to compare it to; and I also said that pain can be good, like when you put your hand in a flame, the pain makes you take it out. This is better than feeling no pain and getting your hand burned off!

For the first tolerance question, I only came up with one example. I said that person A is intolerant and doesn't like gay people. I then said that person B is protesting for gay people (I didn't write it in such crude terms :p: ), and that person A gets offended by person B protesting, but person B isn't being intolerant.

And for the second tolerance question, I think I wrote basically the same as you, except that I forgot the argument from fallibilism!

God, the more i think about it, the worse I seem to have done. Just need 35-ish...

And yes, I'm sure about the pass rate. I'm talking about raw marks here, which then get converted into UMS. 50/90 was Jan09's A grade boundary. If you scored 50/90, you'd get 80 UMS.

source: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN09.PDF

Ok cool lol
Reply 188
I was surprisingly ok with time :s-smilie:
Reply 189
I am so glad the exam is over :smile:

But I am going to miss not doing philosophy next year :frown:

Hopefully my results will be good and I could convince my tutor that I can cope with 5 A levels...

Good luck with your chemistry and economics exam, Kneechuch, and to everyone else with their exams!

This was my last :biggrin:
Reply 190
znh
I am so glad the exam is over :smile:
Good luck with your chemistry and economics exam, Kneechuch, and to everyone else with their exams!

Thank-you :smile:

Congratz for finishing
Reply 191
znh
I was surprisingly ok with time :s-smilie:

How much(ish) did you write?
Reply 192
lukaefc
How much(ish) did you write?

Well I filled up the answer booklet (8 pages?) and two more additional pages

My handwriting is quite big so for average writing I would just say the answer booklet :smile:
Reply 193
Kneechuh
Was that the one about assessing determinism with fatalism? I saw that question and was like "I can answer that!" even though we haven't studied it, but I didn't really know the first question and felt safer doing the ones I knew.

nah that was the a question, i think ive done fine on that one :smile:

the b question was explore the claaim that 'all the choices we make are to do with our genetics' or something along those lines.
Reply 194
znh
Well I filled up the answer booklet (8 pages?) and two more additional pages

My handwriting is quite big so for average writing I would just say the answer booklet :smile:

That's quite a bit. I went just past the answer booklet but in terms of finishing it all off was nowhere near. Good luck with results though :yes:
Reply 195
lukaefc
That's quite a bit. I went just past the answer booklet but in terms of finishing it all off was nowhere near. Good luck with results though :yes:

Thanks and you too :smile:
Reply 196
janex

the b question was explore the claaim that 'all the choices we make are to do with our genetics' or something along those lines.

It was 'nature', rather than 'genetics'; Sartre denied that humans have any fixed nature. I'm pretty sure that the question basically means 'How plausible is determinism', or 'critically assess determinism'.

I wrote all the critiques of it and then refuted them, also adding why free will and/or randomness is implausible, and then put how determinism is compatible, and possibly necessary, for conventional morality. For a conclusion I added that determinism is unprovable by its very nature, but that the evidence towards it is still overwhelming, and there is no point in denying, especially with a 'ghost in the machine' type argument which is clearly false.
Rob19
It was 'nature', rather than 'genetics'; Sartre denied that humans have any fixed nature. I'm pretty sure that the question basically means 'How plausible is determinism', or 'critically assess determinism'.

I wrote all the critiques of it and then refuted them, also adding why free will and/or randomness is implausible, and then put how determinism is compatible, and possibly necessary, for conventional morality. For a conclusion I added that determinism is unprovable by its very nature, but that the evidence towards it is still overwhelming, and there is no point in denying, especially with a 'ghost in the machine' type argument which is clearly false.

Yep, when I saw the question I straight away just thought of biological determinism.
Ohmydayz I was just talking to this girl in my class on msn and when i said "so i just defined determinism first..." she said no but the question was saying we have free choice because of our nature.
i had a MASSIVE heart attack...then I thought about it and I was like nooo way that can't be right.
and i am now so relieved lol...that girl is droppin philosophy after this year as well so doesnt rlly matter. but the worrying thing is that apparently she asked my philo teacher as well and he agreed with her what kinda teacher is that??????

Lol anyway for that question i basically did The case for biological determinism, argued against it by saying nurture over nature says freud, then said both determinism tho, then introduced sartre, then evaluated that. Finally wrote about Descartes' dualism and evaluated that, saying that in conclusion because it would seem that we do have a separate mind from body that free will is not an illusion and therefore statement is false.
Wrote so much for that last question overall!!
But very happy with it, thought it was a fair enough paper (I did the tolerance section for my other question).
janex

I was a bit uncertain about that one, too. My memory is appalling, but as far as I can remember I wrote about the libertarian and determinist's ideas of "nature" (I think I wrote on Sartre vs. Marx). Then I wrote about how choice may be an illusion anyway, Ryles "ghost in the machine".

This might sound silly, but do you all have AQA philos in classrooms, like your normal subjects? It's just I've done this course through video conferencing once a week, and was never actually sure whether it was taught as a normal subject!

(Oh, and by the way, hi everyone!)
Histrionics
I was a bit uncertain about that one, too. My memory is appalling, but as far as I can remember I wrote about the libertarian and determinist's ideas of "nature" (I think I wrote on Sartre vs. Marx). Then I wrote about how choice may be an illusion anyway, Ryles "ghost in the machine".

This might sound silly, but do you all have AQA philos in classrooms, like your normal subjects? It's just I've done this course through video conferencing once a week, and was never actually sure whether it was taught as a normal subject!

(Oh, and by the way, hi everyone!)

Lol yeah it's just like a normal subject, and actually our class is much bigger than usual, we've got 27 people =O
Which makes it a lil bit hrd to learn but really the teacher's teach us the concepts and exam technique, then we discuss it in class like normal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending