The Student Room Group

AQA Philosophy 2009 (New Specification) Revision Notes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
with 4 days to go, i would be extremely greatful if someone could let me know the questions for 'knowledge of the external world', and 'God and the world', which came up in the January new spec paper
Reply 81
algazel
with 4 days to go, i would be extremely greatful if someone could let me know the questions for 'knowledge of the external world', and 'God and the world', which came up in the January new spec paper

See my post on page 2
Reply 82
Thank you so much for the revision notes :smile:

Kneechuh, did you do the unit 2 exam in jan?

I did and it went terrible, I got a U, was predicted an A :s-smilie:

1/5 of the year failed and only 22 people got A's out of around 150 people at my college

Re-sit in on tuesday for god and the world and tolerance, any useful hints?

I always struggle to understand what the question is asking, particularly with tolerance

For the exam last week the Q for morality 'it pays to be moral', what did people write?

I think I did bad :s-smilie: I can't really remember but I think I mentioned how it is better in the long run and on the otherside I criticised it with Kant and said regardless of whether it pays, it is our duty to be moral... but then I responded to Kant with the lying to a murderer scenario

Meh lol

Can anyone explain abduction for when evaluating?

And what do people generally do when they plan their essays, what format do you follow?
Reply 83
znh
Thank you so much for the revision notes :smile:

Kneechuh, did you do the unit 2 exam in jan?

I did and it went terrible, I got a U, was predicted an A :s-smilie:

1/5 of the year failed and only 22 people got A's out of around 150 people at my college

Re-sit in on tuesday for god and the world and tolerance, any useful hints?

I always struggle to understand what the question is asking, particularly with tolerance

For the exam last week the Q for morality 'it pays to be moral', what did people write?

I think I did bad :s-smilie: I can't really remember but I think I mentioned how it is better in the long run and on the otherside I criticised it with Kant and said regardless of whether it pays, it is our duty to be moral... but then I responded to Kant with the lying to a murderer scenario

Meh lol

Can anyone explain abduction for when evaluating?

And what do people generally do when they plan their essays, what format do you follow?

I only did Unit 1 in January, I've got Unit 2 this coming Tuesday, and the only revision I've done is make those notes around a month ago! I've got the Monday off beforehand, so I'll just cram it then. Luckily, I only need 60% to get an A for AS, so it allows me to focus on my other subjects :smile:

My general approach is to write it is the standard essay format;

First, I'll give a general introduction and 'meaning' to what the concepts mentioned in the question mean, and give like, a sentence outlining the contrasting views on the topic
Then, for the main body of my answer, it'll just be structured paragraphs. The first one I write will usually be one philosopher's view on the issue, and then a contrasting philosopher's view. I'll keep this up for as long as the points extend; also pointing out the flaws in some arguments
Then, after I've finished building up my argument for the past few paragraphs, I'll just end it with a conclusion (this will usually just be accepting a few valid points from one argument, and a few from another.) It's always good to juxtapose your argument.

For example, for 'Reason and Experience', the question was something to do with innate ideas, and this (I think) was the general structure of my answer:
I described what 'innate ideas' were, and then the two basic arguments - empiricism and rationalism, and what their general views were.
I would then write about John Locke's empiricism, saying how he didn't believe in innate ideas, etc.
Then i think I went on to rationalism, and Plato, and mentioned how his view contrasted with Locke's, and possibly pointed out a few flaws in Locke's argument
Then, back to empiricism, with David Hume. I described his view on things, etc.
Then I introduced Descartes, and outlined his argument
After that, I moved onto my conclusion. This was that bits of empiricism are correct, and bits of rationalism are correct (with reference to the question!), and outlined Immanuel Kant's view on Innate ideas (which is a synthesis of rationalism and empiricism)

I think the above method is more than enough to get you a high A. You have to write well, keep it structured, and show the examiner you know what you're talking about, and that you can view the argument from both sides, and criticise some arguments.
Reply 84
Thank you

Good luck for tuesday

I hope I actually pass this time lol
Reply 85
thanks for the post kneechuh, i was looking for someone who could post the questions for unit 2 (jan), so i don't have to buy the paper
Reply 86
algazel
thanks for the post kneechuh, i was looking for someone who could post the questions for unit 2 (jan), so i don't have to buy the paper

I don't have those questions, and I don't know anyone else that would. If you sat unit 2 in January, that would mean you'd have learned the whole AS in 3-4 months, which is no mean feat.

I don't think past papers help all that much in philosophy. Your best bet is just be familiar with each argument, its strengths and weaknesses, etc.
Reply 87
Some people did sit unit 2, according to the examiners report. I assume that some people were just sent in to see what the questions were. I think teachers have access to them.
Reply 88
Rob19
Some people did sit unit 2, according to the examiners report. I assume that some people were just sent in to see what the questions were. I think teachers have access to them.

Could you possibly link me to the examiner's report?
Reply 89
catalinamucha
Does anyone know what the ideal answer to Persons; 'explain and illustrate two examples of a diminished person' should've been?! i got so stuck!

i wrote someone who was in a coma and dependant on a life support machine and slaves. we only covered it briefly in lessons so i just rambled for most of it

oh and some people did sit unit 2 in january, you can do the modules 1 and 2 in any order i think.
Reply 90
Anyone go some notes on Knowledge of the external world.
Also any notes of God and the world would be awesome to.
Anything on Tolerence would also be appreciated (as long as its different from whats been previous posted).

Exam is in a few days for unit 2 so i wanted so easier notes to revise from.

I think UNIT 1 went ok, i was surprised because i was actually enjoying writing it.
Reply 91
Oh my God (if he's there :P) those God and the World ones are damn good.
Anybody got Knowledge of the External World notes?
Reply 92
Please can someone upload the Unit 2 January paper questions! They were a huge help for Unit 1 as they let you rule out some things.
Reply 93
Kneechuh
Could you possibly link me to the examiner's report?

My teacher just mentioned them in class, and had read them from the examiners report, so I don't have them personally. I'll see him tomorrow though, so if he'll tell me I'll post them when I get home for some last minute revision. If you want them sooner, possibly ask your teacher as he/she might be able to get them also.
Reply 94
Yeah i would like to see Paper 2 Philosophy PHIL2 as well
Exam on Tuesday eeeeee!
Reply 95
This was the Q for toleration in jan 2009

(b) Describe and illustrate two characteristics a tolerant individual should possess (15 marks)
(c) ‘Religious believers should tolerate lifestyles which they find disagreeable.’ Discuss arguments in favour of this view. (30)
Reply 96
Any ideas on what might come up on Tuesday for toleration and god and the world?
Reply 97
Paper 2 anyone??????
PHIL 2- would be nice if someone had a copy of it
eeeee! knowledge of the External world questions - hoping they will be easy like Reason and Exp one =/ eeee!
Reply 98
I'm just gonna do a load of cramming for PHIL2 tomorrow. Luckily I'll only need 60% to come off with an A - I think I'll be able to manage that.
Reply 99
Kneechuch what topics are you studying?

How are you revising? With the revision notes you posted?

Honestly, since doing my GCSEs I have no clue on how to revise anymore lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending