Latkan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys im a first year chemical engineer and i am in serious need of a good book to help me from failing thermodynamics. Our lectures are just equations upon equations and i can't tell whats what. What i really want is a user friendly thermodynamics book for university students. I really need your help so if anyone knows of a really good book could you please let me know
Rubs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Elements of Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins & Julio de Paula. It's not specifically a thermodynamic book; it it covers all the basics of physical chemistry for first year chemists. If you can get hold of a copy at your library it's worth taking a look through to see if it can help.
abzyyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Latkan)
Hey guys im a first year chemical engineer and i am in serious need of a good book to help me from failing thermodynamics. Our lectures are just equations upon equations and i can't tell whats what. What i really want is a user friendly thermodynamics book for university students. I really need your help so if anyone knows of a really good book could you please let me know

I study Engineering also where Thermodynamics is one of my modules. A very good book to get would be 'Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach' by Yunus Cengel and Michael Boles. It takes you from zero to hero literally! You will find that these books are essential for your years studying Engineering. All the stuff about Entropy, Enthalpy, Energy, P-V diagrams, T-S diagrams can seem confusing, but the book explains it well so you get a really good understanding of it. Instead of buying the books, as they can be quite heavy and expensive (50 quid from waterstones), why not get an e version? Here are the links to the book AND the solutions manual to download the book, so you can get most of out it!

Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach, SI version, 5th Edition - Yunus Cengel, Michael Boles

http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=389978

Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach, SI version, 5th Edition Solutions Manual - Yunus Cengel, Michael Boles

http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=389979
shengoc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Latkan)
I am not too sure if it helps, but we do a fair deal of thermodynamics in chemistry as well, and it might be worthwhile to look at

Thermodynamics of Chemical Processes by Gareth Price
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 11 years ago
The question was asked in February :tongue:
catherine23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Like in many answers, I will not bombard you with many books titles and list, I will suggest a good book that are totally worth reading. I would like to recommend the following Thermodynamicsbooks. This complete guide shows you, basic principals of thermodynamics. You can learn numerous applications of thermodynamics in our daily life. Also, every topic in this book organized in the way that anyone can understand easily.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by catherine23)
Like in many answers, I will not bombard you with many books titles and list, I will suggest a good book that are totally worth reading. I would like to recommend the following Thermodynamicsbooks. This complete guide shows you, basic principals of thermodynamics. You can learn numerous applications of thermodynamics in our daily life. Also, every topic in this book organized in the way that anyone can understand easily.
Probably best to first check the date that the original post was made. I guess that after nine years, Latkan might not be too interested in a book on basic thermodynamics, what with them graduating in engineering, oh about six years ago. There is a chance that they might not even be checking TSR anymore!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads