The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's the most important A level in my opinion.
Medicine, dentistry, and many other fields , some engineering require it.
THe mathematics requirements are minimum, requires alot of learning.
THe A2 is more understanding then learning.
Chemistry is great, and I agree^ it is practically the most important A-level because many areas require it and there's not many other subjects that look as good as it really.
The maths is pretty easy.. just formulas etc but the subject requires a lot of diligent learning that's for sure.

:thrasher:
Reply 3
Chemistry can apply to tonnes of other subjects and stuff in future life. I'm doing the Salters course, and I think its a great subject, its not boring, and you get to do quite a range of stuff
Chemistry is great, and is a subject highly desirable and even necessary for many university courses.

The maths involved increases (probably most at A2) where you might have to do some complex calculations involving logs and exponentials, but it's nothing to be scared of.
Overall, you just need to be confident of rearranging simple formulae and using a calculator.
Reply 5
I did Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Physics and I found chemistry the most difficult one out of the four! Having said that though, it is the most interesting.
Reply 6
It's all according to you.
I also did math , bio chem, found chem the easiest out of the lot.
Well, its not hard if you go to a good teacher. But one thing I can say, out of all the subjects i have, i study chemistry the most. Unit 5 is the hardest of all. Its interesting, especially the practicles and its very important. You have to try to get around 90% marks in ch1-ch4 which will compensate the ch5 marks(if its poor). And ya, its more hard than physics and maths that I have.Good luck!
Reply 8
It really does depend on personal taste, but Chemistry is quite hard - its a big jump up from GCSE, I got an A* at GCSE, and a D in my first module for AS Chem. It is quite interesting though, the maths in itself isnt too bad, but it takes a lot of learning to work out how to do the calculations, but as long as u have a calculator the maths itself isn't too hard, just make sure you're comfortable with playing around with numbers, thats al the maths in chemsitry is. It's a very versatile A-level though, and applies to a lot of areas, I think it draws biology and physics together, so you get quite a broad science base with Chem. Be prepared to work hard though, a good grade in Chemistry is hard to get...
Reply 9
I am doing Chemistry AS at the moment; I really enjoy it. I don't think it is that difficult (maths requires more effort).
I got A* for my GCSE; my mark for January's exam was 74/90 (A3). I got this mark despite other things happening in my life, and hope to do better in my next exam and coursework.
It's not that much more demanding than GCSE and just futhers concepts established at that level...

Chemistry is a versatile subject, and I am continuing it into A2 in September even though I plan to study Architecture at Uni.
I suppose that how well you do at it depends on how much you like it.

Good luck in descision making- I hope that my experience is of use! :cool:
Reply 10
Chemistry is the best subject i do. It's brilliant. The maths isn't too difficult, you just need to be able to remember formulas! It can be quite challenging, but when you get a good result in your exams it will make it so much more rewarding!

Latest