The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'd do better to do Further Maths too, at least to AS.

They're all good though, don't worry too much!
Reply 2
if you considered oxbridge in the first place you would have chosen FM as obviously it's extremely competitive. that said why does it have to be oxbridge? there are other great uni's out there with great economics courses
Reply 3
yes but the thing is i do like german and i wanted to get into king edwards camp hill as i knew it was very good so i put down german as i got an a* in mock and did not do further maths as i only had an A in mock but depending on how well i do in maths in the 1st year i may do fm (as) in year 13. i also thought languages were well respected
Malsi101
if you considered oxbridge in the first place you would have chosen FM as obviously it's extremely competitive. that said why does it have to be oxbridge? there are other great uni's out there with great economics courses

Because Oxbridge is the be all and end all, obviously. :rolleyes: Like you didn't know that. Sheesh.
Reply 5
karlwavfc
My a level choices are below, maths economics history and german and i would like to do an economics degree, would these subjects be good for a good uni not oxbridge, and i know fm would help but i am not going to do that. ??

They're really good, just do well in them
Reply 6
i would prefer to go to camp hill one of the best schools in the country and not do further maths but get better a level results then go to the other college and get worse results
Reply 7
do further maths atleast to AS. if you dont, you will regret it when you come to apply to universities
Reply 8
Well, even unis that are not Oxbridge would like further maths, at least to AS. However, if you do now have further maths, make sure that your personal statement sells yourself as an economist, and ensure that your reference is very good.
Reply 9
so are you saying i would not even get into the likes of bristol and nottingham if don't do further maths
They seem good choices to me, with the language showing you have broad interests. I don't think FM would be a requirement for Economics (you'd be better off checking individual prospecti) but there's other ways you can sell yourself, such as with a good PS (possibly explaining why you wanted to take German). And if you have the option to take AS FM next year, then there's really very little to worry about.

One final thing - A Levels aren't so much about where you go, but how you as an individual do. If you don't think you'll get good results unless you go to one of the top schools in the country, you have some serious problems.
Reply 11
yes i understand that, but i wanted to go to a top school and i really liked the look of it at the open day and i would be doing the same subject at the other college anyways, also i would like to go to nottingham uni and do economics
hey, im making the exact sme choices as you!!!
ive been stressing over whether to keep my options open with chem nd biology, or do the subjects i enjoy (history nd german) which help for economics...

in the end i decided to stick with maths, economics, history and german!
i was told that it was better to look like u know wat ur doing, rather than keeing options open and seeming confused. :eek3:
Reply 13
karlwavfc
so are you saying i would not even get into the likes of bristol and nottingham if don't do further maths

I'm not saying you won't get in, but your chances will definately be hindered.

Think of it as a mark scheme, the Admissions tutor has certain criteria for a good candidate. The more 'marks' (as in criteria) you get, the higher the chances of getting accepted.
Malsi101

The OP said not Oxbridge!
Reply 15
karlwavfc

i would say that without even an AS in further maths, its unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely.
Reply 16
what i do not agree with that statement
Reply 17
Personally I think your choices are fine. Further maths is a very demanding course I think, so they're no point taking it if you're not sure you can do it. Deutsche ist ein guten A level. :biggrin:
Reply 18
would these subjects without fm be good for sheffield
tbh, im sure u wud rather get an A in maths than risk getting lower with FM...im in the sme position as u, nd i dnt think that il come thru with FM, so im gna play to my strengths...but i kno plenty of people who didnt do FM and r doin economics...as a matter of fact, my older brother is in his last year of uni at nottingham studying economics and his options were : maths, economics, computing and german
wat im sain is, im sure if u impress the uni with ur PS and all, then there is a defo chance of a uni like those!

Latest