The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Music without a doubt!!!!
Chemistry, Maths (not further maths cos I see that as just extra maths tagged on), Physics.
teaandcake-please
Last year, for As, I seemed to do so little work-especially compared to my other two subjects. Until the week before the exam, I barely knew the plot of two of the texts. However, making up loads of things in the exam got me full marks (120/120) in one of the papers, and I got my highest overall mark for Lit.
It just seems possible to 'blag' your way through it in a way that isn't possible with the other subjects...

I agree, the syllabus is broad and the exams are easy to score in. But that's hardly what the subject itself is about.

sorry, im just a crazy lit fanatic who hates exam boards for making the subject seem easy and shallow =)
Reply 63
Basket Weaving.
Reply 64
I think critical thinking. with general studies close behind. aand then maybe media or something :/
Reply 65
Disney studies.
Reply 66
define prestigious?

I know what you're trying to ask though, and the answer would probably be further maths because so few people take it, and those that do usually do well in it.
Reply 67
None of them, I wont consider anything as particularly prestigious until I get a degree (fingers crossed) and then only if it's a 2.2 or more. A' levels are a means to an end. That said thought maths is probably harder than general studies.
Reply 68
My thoughts on most prestigouse A levels
Further maths
Chemistry
Physics
Latin
Maybe a few of the Foreign languages
History (I believe is supposed to be very content heavy)

and one that rarely gets mentioned
Philosophy
Reply 69
Lorniebee
Music without a doubt!!!!

I agree! Maybe not the most prestigious, but definately a subject whose difficulty is normally underestimated by many people.
Further Maths, Maths, Physics, other sciences. And wtf to the person who says Economics is the least respected? It is certainly more respected than Art.
General Studies, Media Studies, Communication & Culture and Food Technology are all in the top, obviously.
Reply 72
jamesyjapan
General Studies, Media Studies, Communication & Culture and Food Technology are all in the top, obviously.

Amen where would we be without generals, the media, communication, and chefs/food experts. :wink:
Reply 73
Clements-
Further Maths, Maths, Physics, other sciences. And wtf to the person who says Economics is the least respected? It is certainly more respected than Art.

Economics is an art, have you seen the **** hole we're in recently. :tongue:
JMonkey
Economics is an art, have you seen the **** hole we're in recently. :tongue:

a) When did I say in that post that Economics is a science
b) I will clear up the fact that it is a social science, you ****.
Reply 75
rapha
I agree! Maybe not the most prestigious, but definately a subject whose difficulty is normally underestimated by many people.

Ok maybe not the most prestigious but its always ignored when it comes to topics about "which a-level is hardest" :mad:
Why would latin be the most prestigious? Not all colleges even do it, and do many uni courses ask for it?
Reply 77
Clements-
a) When did I say in that post that Economics is a science
b) I will clear up the fact that it is a social science, you ****.

Lol. You more or less said art sucked compared to economics but let's face it economics is an art or everyone with a PhD would be a billionaire. I just object to you saying art is ****, no need to get ****** about it is there? Diagnosis in medicine is an art, psychiatry is an art. Being creative is just as important as being able to regurgitate crap about science. Don't be such a science snob. Leave the snobbery to the idiot culture snobs.
Reply 78
Erm. Economics is a social science. And as far as I'm aware, doing economics doesn't make you rich.

But art at A level is hard.
Reply 79
Kt.b
Erm. Economics is a social science. And as far as I'm aware, doing economics doesn't make you rich.

But art at A level is hard.

You're missing the point. Psychiatry is a medical science and an art, Diagnosis in medicine is an art and a science. The less strong sciences tend to dissappear into almost pure art the less robust they are. Economics has no system of laws, theories or hypothesis that are accepted. So the prediction of economics and society is extensively an art and based on as much guesswork as it is routed in any sort of principal. That's why the banks are in such a mess, they severely messed up their art with outdated concepts about the stock market and lending and borrowing.

All I was trying to say is stop being snobby about art, only the most hard of sciences are pure science, such as chemistry and even then a bit of creativity wouldn't go amiss. Leave snobbery to the culture snobs, is my opinion. There are easier and more difficult subjects, but prestige is a subjective term especially when you are Leonardo Acropolis or Yahoodi Menuin or Gershwin or Strauss or whatever.

Latest