The Student Room Group

Would you date someone in a wheelchair?

Just watched hollyoaks and Zach's sister has just been shunned when her potential date found out she is confined to a wheelchair.

She's beautiful, funny and has the mentality and body of a perfectly healthy human being...granted one that is unable to walk. But if you were/are single and were approached by someone in a similar situation as this, would you go out with them just the once out of pity/ with an open mind that things could develop long term if you got on well with them or just shun them altogether?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i dont think i would. just not me it mught be rude but not me
Reply 2
I probably wouldn't, if only because I'm not sure how I could get it to work. If she was attractive/funny whatever, I'd stilll consider it, but we probably just wouldn't be compatible.
I don't think it would put me off. But then again, my mum's disabled so I don't really see it as a big deal, I guess.
I think I would. Not out of pity though, since if I were in that situation I'd rather be outright shunned than pitied. I'd only go out with them if I actually liked them.
Its hard, as i think all relationships are different and very dependant on the person, if i fell for the person in a big way i dont think it would make a difference at all. Someone in a wheel chair is no less of a person :smile:
My initial response is no because I have never met someone in a wheelchair who doesnt have significant learning disabilities. I reckon if I met a really beautiful, intelligent and funny girl I would end up falling for her because I would spend enough time with her to see past the chair.
Reply 7
I think the only thing that would put me off would be the thought of what others might say about me/us...
I don't think the actual fact that they're in a wheelchair would really bother me. I've never been in that situation so I can't really say.
No, it'd be highly impractical.
Reply 9
How would you, um, do it?

Call me a cynic when it comes to romance, but if the answer is what I think it is, that'd kinda suck...
numb3rb0y
How would you, um, do it?

Call me a cynic when it comes to romance, but if the answer is what I think it is, that'd kinda suck...

I was implying this, but didn't want to say it right-out :tongue:
Reply 11
I think it would be difficult. However, if they were a great person I certainly wouldn't put much emphasis on the wheelchair aspect. I certainly would happily be best of friends with them etc. but bf & gf..it's a tough one!
Honestly, I think it would bother me. I know it's wrong and that I shouldn't base my opinions of someone due to a disability, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't impact on me at all.
No, I would not.
I don't think I would. But its hard to give a definite answer as I've never been in such a situation.
I'd like to think I would, but who knows? I know if my boyfriend became disabled it wouldn't change anything at all I hope, buttt I don't conciously find myself attracted to people in wheelchairs so yeah dunno.
I'm glad everyone else said no, because I feel bad about saying that it's not likely I would.
Reply 17
Initially no, but if there was something there then I don't think that would bother me. I thought this with my ex-ex, someone asked me if he was crippled for life, would I still love him and be with him and I thought yes/definitely/of course I would. But I wouldn't look at a guy in a wheelchair and think 'he looks FINE in that wheelchair!'
No, unless I fall for the girl. It would be very awkward, without meaning any disrespect.
strawberrywine_
No, it'd be highly impractical.
Agreed.

It would be extremely, extremely awkward. I feel really bad saying this, but no, I wouldn't. I mean if I was dating someone and THEN they became crippled yes I would hope I would, but otherwise no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending