Who else agrees University Challenge should change?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Haps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Am I the only person who thinks the oxbridge unis should be restricted to only having one team entering University Challenge, having teams for colleges within oxbridge is surely a bias towards them and makes a team from these unis more likely to win. I think its incredible that the Uni of Manchester with just one team and also being the most popular uni in Britain could only enter one team yet they made it to the final, in my eyes they are the real winners. Discuss
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 12 years ago
We've had a huge debate on this.

My opinion is that if Oxford and Cambridge were to enter one pan-university team each, then they'd probably end up meeting in the final every year, and the current system is fine.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It would mean that Oxford and Cambridge would always beat everyone else and end up together in the final, as they'd each have the four best people from the entire university instead of just the college.

So, no, I disagree.
eliotkid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I like the current system. It works, it's addictive; thus, no need to change it. :tongue:
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's fine as it is.
coren111
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Corpus Christi, Oxford has 365 students. Manchester Uni has 39.165 students and they still lost. Imagine the beating they'd get if Oxford was one team.
Leopold Bloom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I never get the logic of this. How does expanding the pool of candidates Oxford can choose from make it anything other than easier to get into the final?

If they can pick 4 finalists from a college of 400, imagine what they could do with an entire university's worth.
david17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
One hour long episodes please
Haps
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I still disagree does it not make sense that oxbridge are more likely to win with more teams entered than anyone else. If there was one team once they have lost they would not be another team from that uni. I think they would be more likely to lose. Just because they have more clever students does not mean they are going to win all the time.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Since Trimble got 2/3 of her teams points this year, it'd probably not have made that much of a difference. The more pressing matter is the questions. Watch in amazement as they interrupt when being asked about a quote from an obscure 17th century play, then look on in disbelief as the four of them look at each other when asked what colour of cricket ball is being trialled to try and improve visability. You get the feeling these are the people who would be sent home with nothing on any popular game show, since their knowledge of anything remotely 'general' is sorely lacking in favour of the names of classical music composers.
Fojji
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by coren111)
Corpus Christi, Oxford has 365 students. Manchester Uni has 39.165 students and they still lost. Imagine the beating they'd get if Oxford was one team.
I'd be careful in drawing conclusions from that one final. I think it has been widely accepted that Trimble was a rare competitor and it isn't usual for one person to have such an influence as she did. So citing that one match and trying to get a general rule from it isn't valid IMO.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thinking about it, maybe there wouldn't be enough teams for a good battle if they did that. Because more universities would have to be involved to keep the same numbers, and the quiz is inherently one of knowledge that those at ex-polytechnics and such institutions may not be aware of to the same extent. All things are necessarily restrictive though.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by coren111)
You have to remember that, ultimately, it is only four people that can be on a team though, and so it is how those four people complement each other that matters most, not necessarily the size of the pool of applicants.
Leopold Bloom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
You have to remember that, ultimately, it is only four people that can be on a team though, and so it is how those four people complement each other that matters most, not necessarily the size of the pool of applicants.
But you're more likely to get 4 candidates that 'compliment' each other out of a pool of 40,000 than 400. You're also more likely to be able to cover the breadth of knowledge required, so the necessity for a Trimble is lessened.
Cowtipper
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
Since Trimble got 2/3 of her teams points this year, it'd probably not have made that much of a difference. The more pressing matter is the questions. Watch in amazement as they interrupt when being asked about a quote from an obscure 17th century play, then look on in disbelief as the four of them look at each other when asked what colour of cricket ball is being trialled to try and improve visability. You get the feeling these are the people who would be sent home with nothing on any popular game show, since their knowledge of anything remotely 'general' is sorely lacking in favour of the names of classical music composers.
I like your posts.
martin101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Haps)
Am I the only person who thinks the oxbridge unis should be restricted to only having one team entering University Challenge, having teams for colleges within oxbridge is surely a bias towards them and makes a team from these unis more likely to win. I think its incredible that the Uni of Manchester with just one team and also being the most popular uni in Britain could only enter one team yet they made it to the final, in my eyes they are the real winners. Discuss
Mate, last night Corpus beat Manchester in an exciting final. Manchester is a university of 40000 people. Corpus Christi college has 300 students (no joke). If you combined all the colleges you would end up with a ludicrously powerful team. Its not unfair on the other universities, its a disadvantage to the Oxford colleges. Anyway the colleges have such in built rivalry that they compete in a way that they might as well be separate universities!
Rocious
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I say let each university enter one team and for christ's sake use a more varied question set.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Haps)
I still disagree does it not make sense that oxbridge are more likely to win with more teams entered than anyone else. If there was one team once they have lost they would not be another team from that uni. I think they would be more likely to lose. Just because they have more clever students does not mean they are going to win all the time.
But you seem to be arguing that they should have only one team because they are more likely to win with things as they are. In fact, if you consider the sort of teams Oxford and Cambridge would have if they each just used the best four participants from all their college teams this year, you'd quickly arrive at the conclusion that the others would never get into the final if your change was actually implemented.

Winning a match isn't a question of random chance meaning that more teams gives a greater chance of success.

By the way, a high level of general knowledge does not imply that you are more clever, just more knowledgeable.
WhatTheFunk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there has always been and always will be a oxbridge bisa
hebe001
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm happy for Oxbridge to have numerous teams in the competition (after all, we're forgetting that the University of London also has numerous teams represented!) - but mainly because I just want to watch some interesting tele!

Therefore to make it fairer, other colleagiate unis (eg. Durham, York, etc.) should also be allowed to have separate teams for all their colleges.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (30)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.52%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.71%

Watched Threads