stephy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey I will hopefully be studying Architecture at oxford brookes in sep. Im starting to think about halls and which ones to choose...
I am quite lively and like to go out A lot, so very social halls would be nice

Must be En-suite no matter what lol !

advice please xxxxxxxx
Wltsm
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well the best halls are Clive Booth non ensuite I think, if you wan't ensuite you've only got two choices, so it depends how much you want to spend.
smilee172
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
For social life I would say that Morrells halls are the best (my own personal opinion) however they are not en-suite. I stayed in cheney which was en-suite, but did not find it all that sociable and was mostly full of international students.
Lippy
Report 11 years ago
Hey yeah I'm going to do Marketing Management and Tourism Managmenet in Sep 09 too and was wondering where the best halls are. i dont care how much they cost as long as they are en-suite!! I've heard living in Wheatley isn't a good idea.. any advice for either of us!?
Lifes_Contridictions
Report 11 years ago
I am going to be an International Student at OBU and I would love to know which hall is the cheapest lol! Universities tend to think it's funny to place international students in expensive halls and I so do not want that crap to happen to me! Help anyone?
Lupie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lifes_Contridictions)
I am going to be an International Student at OBU and I would love to know which hall is the cheapest lol! Universities tend to think it's funny to place international students in expensive halls and I so do not want that crap to happen to me! Help anyone?
You are correct - most international students end up in Cheney Halls. it is a 50 week contract and therefore you will be paying over £5000. The cheapest I believe are Crescent, I think, which is around £3200 or something. I'm not sure exactly on prices, check the website.
Hope that helps a little.
paperflowers
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't go for Crescent or Paul Kent Halls; they may be the cheapest but they are really out of the way for the university and the city centre, plus the social life and in halls community is dire. Added to that they are in a dodgy area if you are a girl and all in all they're not good halls to stay in.
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Report 11 years ago
Hey, I consider going to Brookes and my question is: if I apply to be allocated in an en-suite hall, is it possible that they'll put me in a non-suite hall?
paperflowers
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RabbitCFH)
Hey, I consider going to Brookes and my question is: if I apply to be allocated in an en-suite hall, is it possible that they'll put me in a non-suite hall?
Short answer; yes

Long answer; yes, but then you can ask to move and it was quite common for people to do so in the first few weeks. Though there was a waiting list. I heard of some folks who were put out in Wheatly's Halls when they were on the Headington Campus for classes so you can be put anywhere.
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by paperflowers)
Short answer; yes

Long answer; yes, but then you can ask to move and it was quite common for people to do so in the first few weeks. Though there was a waiting list. I heard of some folks who were put out in Wheatly's Halls when they were on the Headington Campus for classes so you can be put anywhere.
Not good but I guess the same situation is in most unis. Thanks.
Oxbro1.0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi, finishing student CMC field.

I've reviewed Harcourt, Wheatley and Cheney on my (community) blog about Brookes at http://oxbro.com/tag/halls/

Those are all higher-priced halls. Of the cheaper, I'd echo what was said about Morrell and Clive Booth having a great social atmosphere. Harcourt had this a few years back, but it shifted when campus staffing and policy changed.

In my first year I stayed at Warneford, a four minute walk from the main campus. I was very lucky to live with 4/5 students who had good social skills. However, I hated it at the time. It only took that one to bring his friends through, shouting and screaming, playlist loud and ongoing. I had been used to having a lot of space around me and I found the halls very claustrophobic.

A lot of students and some staff make a good case for not having to do much work in your first year. However, if you're someone who is coming to Oxford Brookes to study and work hard in your first year, theres a stronger case for bypassing halls altogether.

- Andrew

www.oxbro.com
Oxbro1.0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've blogged about Harcourt, Cheney and Wheatley elsewhere. The first two are proper roomy but higher-priced halls. Of the cheaper, I'd echo what was said about Morrell and Clive Booth having a great social atmosphere. Harcourt had this a few years back, but it shifted when campus staffing and policy changed.

Some students and some staff make a good case for not having to do much work in your first year. However, if you're someone who is coming to Oxford Brookes to study and work hard in your first year, theres a stronger case for bypassing halls altogether.
DollyShowbiz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm from boarding school.
Which are the poshest halls?
jennifer.re
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DollyShowbiz)
I'm from boarding school.
Which are the poshest halls?

LOL
oh my, you would fit in perfectly at Cheney
TheLeprachaun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't decide between Cheney and Clide Booth.

I like that clide booth is right beside the sports hall and basically on the main road but does Cheney have a better social life?

Anyone know the differences between the two?
jockox3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheLeprachaun)
I can't decide between Cheney and Clide Booth.

I like that clide booth is right beside the sports hall and basically on the main road but does Cheney have a better social life?

Anyone know the differences between the two?
I think you have confused the two. Cheney is the one on the same site as the Sports Centre and more or less right on the main road. Clive Booth (not Clide) is a little farther away - but really only a five minute walk to main campus (though if you're applying for an IT related field you'll probably be in Wheatley for most of your teaching and the two halls are a similar distance from the bus stop that gets you there).

The big thing to bear in mind is that Cheney is a fifty week contract so you will be paying for your room throughout the summer vacation unless you can organise a swap with someone desperate to stay in Oxford over summer. With that in mind Cheney works out a little less expensive per week than the newer en-suite rooms at Clive Booth and a fair bit more expensive than the non en-suite rooms there (which you may hear referred to as "Morrell Hall" which was its name for forty years until they decided to lump them both together a couple of years ago).

Both are a pretty similar distance from the main SU venue, but Morrell/Clive Booth also has an SU bar/venue onsite which has later opening and is more student oriented than the Sports Centre bar. Like most SU venues, it has declined a little in popularity over recent years as there is always a lot more going on for students in town these days, but still has a better atmosphere than the Sports Centre and SU organised events.

Both are pretty popular, though as a warden at Morrell/Clive Booth I am not entirely unbiased in my opinion that Clive Booth is overall the better set of halls I think Cheney tends to get filled up first (apart from anything else it is run by a private partnership rather than directly by the university so they want to maintain their occupancy guarantee to the external company) which probably means there is a wider diversity of students in Clive Booth (the choice of different types of room and costs also helps).

Hope that helps a bit...
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It all depends on how much you want to pay, also the application system does not allow you to pick individual halls. You can only pick ensuite/nonenuite/catered and they then place you in the halls that are in those. It is different for cheney but the rest work like this. For example i wanted clive booth non ensuite but ended up with crescent halls, which i wouldnt move now, but wasnt happy with in the first place its pretty much pot luck where you end up it seems.
BillV3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jennifer.re)
LOL
oh my, you would fit in perfectly at Cheney
Or as me and my friends now call it in a sarcastic way: Chateau Cheney
jennifer.re
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BillV3)
Or as me and my friends now call it in a sarcastic way: Chateau Cheney
Oh I've that many times.
Randomer: So, are you from *insert the halls I'm at/my friend I'm with is from here*?
Me: No, I'm at Cheney.
Randomer: OOOOHHHH Cha-nayyyyy? Chateau de Chanaaayyy!
Me: Yes.

Once the Cha-nayyyyyy was replaced with "posh rich girl". Which was charming. The 10 minutes we were talking beforehand we were getting along perfectly well.
TheLeprachaun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I decided on Cheney anyway. Thanks for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (296)
55.85%
I don't have everything I need (234)
44.15%

Watched Threads