Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is sodium hydroxide unsuitable for use as an indigestion cure? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I done all of the questions on my chem homework but i really dont know the answer to this one, please help!

thankyou in advance

ReputationRep:
    Far too basic - would cause a very exothermic reaction in your stomach - need something much more mild

ReputationRep:
    thankyou! I seems like the most simple question on the sheet but i just didnt have a clue

ReputationRep:
    cause of indigestion is too much stomach acid. pH of NaOH is around 13, making it a strong base completely neutralising the stomach which should be around 2 - 3. As Eiervanstan said

ReputationRep:
    The main point for the mark is that it would be a highly exothermic reaction, cause internal bodily damage and is therefore unsuitable. This is due to the reason that it is to strong an alkali for stomach conditions.

ReputationRep:
    You'd also have a nasty burning sensation in your mouth and throat
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    sodium hydroxide is a strong enough base to denaturise (break the amide and ester links) your proteins including those in your skin (throat, mouth etc)

I knew a lad who lost all of the skin off his feet because he paddled in strong NaOH solution (leaking from some pipe cleaning sacks) in the cellar of a bar while he was working there.. (months in hospital and skin grafts included)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    You'd also have a nasty burning sensation in your mouth and throat
    Concentration dependant :tongue:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.