Unknown-User
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm deciding on which A-levels to study next year, and I am pretty sure i want to do Economics

However, i havent done it at GCSE, but I am doing GCSE Business studies at the moment

I was just wondering how much harder it will be for me as i havent done it for gcse?

Is there a lot to learn if you havent done it at GCSE?

Any advice is helpful, hopefully some people who were in the same position as me and chose economics (:

Thanks
username252048
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did the exact same as what you are wanting to do
I picked it up pretty easily.
There were a few people in my class who really struggled, but they weren't really business minded.
If you are business minded you'll be fine! And even if your not, you can still do well as long as you put in a little extra work
thetopnotch
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-User)
I'm deciding on which A-levels to study next year, and I am pretty sure i want to do Economics

However, i havent done it at GCSE, but I am doing GCSE Business studies at the moment

I was just wondering how much harder it will be for me as i havent done it for gcse?

Is there a lot to learn if you havent done it at GCSE?

Any advice is helpful, hopefully some people who were in the same position as me and chose economics (:

Thanks
You don't really need GCSE Economics for the A-Level, it's easily do-able without.

I self taught Economics with doing a GCSE so you should be fine
Grapevine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Doesn't matter in the slightest. Most schools don't do econ GCSE and business studies will give you a basic grasp of things like inflation/recessions/booms etc. so don't worry!
jdbennet
Report 11 years ago
You dont need the GCSE.

I did AS business studies without doing it at GCSE or anything, and i managed fine. Many people there were also studying economics or accounting alongside and they found it helpful. Most people either did nothing at GCSE, or did business.

So you should be fine. At college you will soon learn that most of what you learnt at GCSE was wrong anyway lol.
stranger101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nope, it'll be fine. I do Economics at A2 now, and I didn't take that or Business Studies for GCSE.
Unknown-User
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice everyone...

keep it coming (:
emilyjane_09
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
doesn't matter at all.
Unknown-User
Rep:
?
(Original post by stranger101)
Nope, it'll be fine. I do Economics at A2 now, and I didn't take that or Business Studies for GCSE.

Can i ask what grades you got in AS Level?

Bit random, but thanks...
rapha
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Most people at my college didn't do it for GCSE. I didn't do it for GCSE and I'm hoping to get an A in it. I don't eve think the people who did it at GCSE have any advantage anymore over those who didn't.
girlodnyu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm in your position and took Economics and I'm finding it relatively easy compared to my other subjects. If you have a general economic awareness before hand you'll do fine also if your relatively adaptive etc. but it really is based on the person.

I found coming from a business background in the first unit it was easier to understand the reactions of firms as in business studies you learn the prospective of firms which can also give you kudos in essay question such as :

How would car companies react to the increases in the price of rubber?

You may find it easier to jump in the business hotseat and say well if I was the MD of Vauxhall I would .... throw in a supply/demand diagram evaluate done.

But as I said every student is different.

Bonne chance. In whatever you pick.
gyyy2807
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
don't worry about it. you don't need gcse economics to do economics at alevel.
i didn't have gcse econ and am doing a2 econ now. I got an A in AS as well.

it's really logical and you'll catch it easily.
kcfch
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did it at A level having done Business Studies at GCSE. There's no real advantage of taking Economics at GCSE. My friend did and he said it made unit 1 easier but that was about it.
stranger101
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Unknown-User)
Can i ask what grades you got in AS Level?

Bit random, but thanks...
Didn't do as well as I could have done, slacked a bit :rolleyes:

Maths - A, Economics - A, Politics - B, English Literature - C (because of one bloody module :mad: )
Glass123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey, I applied for economics this year, as far as I know not doing GCSE Economics (I didn't even know you could do this) won't set you back at all, and you don't need even need A level Economics, although you can take this even though you didn't do the GCSE. I would concentrate on getting good grades for maths for now

Edit: sorry read it completely wrong , economics A Level was available in my school offered to me even though I didn't do the GCSE so I'm guessing the GCSE won't give anyone a major advantage.
jdbennet
Report 11 years ago
English Literature - C (because of one bloody module)
thats what resits are for. I basically resat the whole of AS biology in the A2 year, and resat all the christmas modules of A2 biology during the summer exam session.

Went from like an E to a C lol. got me into uni.
stranger101
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jdbennet)
thats what resits are for. I basically resat the whole of AS biology in the A2 year, and resat all the christmas modules of A2 biology during the summer exam session.

Went from like an E to a C lol. got me into uni.
I did resit that module and got basically the same thing. I couldn't bear to resit it again, as I despised the set text...
goats
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
economics gcse is dieing anyway, you will be fine.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our school doesn't offer GCSE Economics, but they offer it at AS/A2 and I'm coping fine, as is everyone else.
You doing BS will give you an advantage, so you'll be fine. I hadn't even done that!
Greg.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You'll be fine. It's all taught from scratch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads